Delight in the Tropical Flavors of this Coconut Coffee Cake
Coffee cake is a classic dessert loved by many around the world. Its soft and crumbly texture, coupled with a warm cup of coffee, creates a perfect comfort food experience. There are several types of coffee cakes available on the market today, but nothing can beat the heavenly combo of coconut and coffee in a cake. Imagine the aroma of freshly brewed coconut coffee filling your kitchen while you indulge in a slice of delicious coconut coffee cake. It’s an experience that will take you to tropical paradise island.
If you love coconut and coffee, then this recipe is perfect for you! In this article, I’ll be walking you through how to create the ultimate coconut coffee cake, one that will leave your taste buds asking for more. You’ll learn all about the ingredient list, the recipe how-to, substitutions and variations, serving and pairing options, make-ahead tips, storing and reheating techniques, and much more.
Trust me; this Coconut Coffee Cake Recipe is one of the best cake recipes out there. The use of fresh coconut cream and sweetened flaked coconuts gives it an exotic flavor that will impress everyone at your next party or gathering. So gear up, grab your apron, and let’s get started on making this fantastic cake recipe that will leave your guests raving!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
The pineapple and coconut combo in this coffee cake is a match made in heaven. Whether you’re a fan of tropical flavors or just looking for a delicious twist on the classic coffee cake, this recipe will knock your socks off.
The addition of crushed pineapple and coconut cream makes for an extra-moist cake that’s bursting with flavor. The coconut streusel topping adds a crunchy, sweet contrast to the soft texture of the cake, and the toasted coconut flakes sprinkled on top give it an extra pop of flavor.
Aside from its incredible taste, this coffee cake is also incredibly easy to make. With just a few basic ingredients like flour, sugar, eggs, and butter, you can whip up this impressive dessert in no time. Plus, it’s versatile enough to serve as a brunch dish or a dessert for any occasion.
But perhaps best of all, this recipe can be easily modified to cater to your personal preferences. Add some chocolate chips to the batter for an extra indulgent treat, swap out the pineapple for blueberries for a more traditional coffee cake flavor, or try making it into a layer cake for your next special event.
So why not give this recipe a try and experience the deliciousness for yourself? Your taste buds will thank you.
Before starting any recipe, it is important to have all the necessary ingredients on hand to make the process as smooth as possible. For this coconut coffee cake recipe, you’ll need:
2 cups of unsifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of granulated sugar
3/4 cup of softened unsalted butter
3/4 cup of sour cream
1/2 cup of full-fat coconut milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
For the pineapple coconut streusel:
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter
For the pineapple coconut coffee filling:
One package instant coconut cream pudding mix (3.4 ounces)
One can crushed pineapple in juice (8 ounces)
For the topping:
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut (toasted or untoasted)
All ingredients can be found at your local grocery store or farmer’s market. Make sure that you buy the highest quality possible, especially when it comes to the shredded coconut and sour cream.
The Recipe How-To
It’s time to get started on making this delectable coconut coffee cake! Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to create your own:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar, divided 1 cup and 1/4 cup
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Grease an 8-inch (20 cm) square or round cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and 1 cup of brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon until well combined.
- Gradually add the water and sour cream, stirring until just blended.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared cake pan.
Coconut Streusel Topping
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together the Coconut Streusel Topping of flaked coconut, chopped pecans, and 1/4 cup of brown sugar, evenly distributing all ingredients.
- Sprinkle evenly over the top of the cake batter.
Coconut Coffee Cake/Pineapple Coconut Coffee Cake Variation
- 1 can (8 oz/227 g) crushed pineapple with juice
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- If desired, add 1 can (8 oz/227 g) of crushed pineapple with juice to the cake batter for a delicious pineapple coconut coffee cake.
For an additional touch of coconut, sprinkle 1/2 cup of flaked coconut over the top of the batter before adding the streusel.
Bake in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
This is a versatile coffee cake recipe that can easily be tweaked according to your preferences. Try adding chocolate chips or blueberries to it for a new twist on this classic recipe!
Substitutions and Variations
One of the best things about this Coconut Coffee Cake Recipe is that it is versatile and adaptable. You can tweak the recipe a bit to suit your preferences and make it more interesting. Here are some substitution and variation suggestions that can take your coffee cake to the next level:
– Pineapple Coconut: If you want to add more tropical flavor, you can use crushed pineapple instead of blueberries in the recipe. Substitute half of the blueberries with crushed pineapple, or mix them together for a pineapple coconut coffee cake.
– Chocolate Coconut: For an indulgent twist, mix in some chocolate chips or chopped chocolate into the batter before baking. You can also drizzle chocolate sauce or ganache on top of the cake after it has cooled.
– Caramel Pecan: Swap out the blueberries and add some pecans into the batter for a nutty taste. Drizzle caramel sauce on top of the finished cake for a decadent finish.
– Vanilla Coffee: Add 1-2 tablespoons of instant coffee granules or espresso powder into the batter or streusel for a subtle coffee flavor, or mix vanilla extract and coffee for a stronger taste
– Layer Cake: If you want a larger, fancier cake, double the recipe and bake two cakes separately, then stack them with frosting in between layers before decorating them.
– Coconut Milk: For extra coconut flavor, use full-fat coconut milk instead of regular milk in this recipe.
– Bisquick Velvet Crumb: Substitute Bisquick baking mix instead of all-purpose flour to achieve velvet crumb texture.
– Toasted Coconut: Toast shredded coconut before adding a generous sprinkle onto the top of the cake before serving for an extra textural contrast and depth of flavor.
Remember that these substitutions are only suggestions – don’t be afraid to get creative with your own substitutions and variations! The possibilities are endless, and experimenting can even lead to discovering your new favorite coconut coffee cake recipe.
Serving and Pairing
This Coconut Coffee Cake Recipe is a versatile baked treat that can be served in several ways. You can have it for breakfast, brunch, as an afternoon snack or dessert. This cake pairs well with a hot cup of coffee or tea. The rich coconut flavor in this coffee cake recipe makes it pair well with flavorful teas such as jasmine green tea, tart fruit teas like raspberry and blackberry, and even bold spicy chai.
For an indulgent dessert, you can serve slices of the cake warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or dollop of whipped cream on top. You can also sprinkle some toasted coconut over the whipped cream for an added crunch that perfectly complements the soft, moist texture of the cake.
If you want to elevate your dish’s aesthetic appeal to impress your guests, you can dust the coffee cake with powdered sugar and add a few fresh berries like blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries on top. The tangy sweetness of the berries will contrast the buttery and nutty flavor of the coffee cake.
This delicious Coconut Coffee Cake Recipe also works great as a layer cake for special events like birthdays or weddings. You can add layers of frosting (such as pineapple-coconut frosting) in between two round coffee cakes to construct an impressive layered cake.
Whatever way you choose to serve this Coconut Coffee Cake Recipe masterpiece, your guests will surely love every bite – it is the perfect treat for any occasion!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This coconut coffee cake is perfect for making ahead of time and storing for later. If you plan on serving it for breakfast or as an afternoon snack, you can go ahead and bake it the night before and store it in the refrigerator until you are ready to enjoy it.
For storing, I recommend wrapping the cake in plastic wrap or placing it in an airtight container. This will help preserve its moisture and flavor for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Alternatively, if you have any leftover cake, you can freeze it for up to 2 months.
Reheating this coffee cake is easy – simply pop it into the microwave for a few seconds or wrap a slice in foil and heat it in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 10 minutes.
I should note that reheating or freezing could affect the texture of the cake slightly as the topping may lose some of its crispiness. However, the cake will still be delicious and enjoyable.
In conclusion, this coconut coffee cake is perfect for make-ahead planning, storing and reheating. It ensures that you can always indulge in this delicious treat whenever your heart desires!
Tips for Perfect Results
Creating the perfect coconut coffee cake can be a bit tricky, but with a few helpful tips, you’ll be able to make yours like a pro. Here are some tips that you can follow to achieve the best results possible:
1. Don’t Overmix the Batter:
One of the classic mistakes when making any kind of cake is overmixing the batter. Overmixing adds too much air into it and makes it less dense than it should be. A dense cake is perfect for a moist coconut texture and flavor.
2. Toasted Coconut Toppings:
Toasted flaked coconut gives extra texture and nuttiness to your coffee cake. Make sure to toast your coconut flakes ahead of time in the oven on low heat until light golden brown, set aside and sprinkle over the top of your cake after baking.
3. Cream Cheese Frosting:
Pair up your coconut cake with an excellent cream cheese frosting that compliments its flavors well. Since coconut coffee cakes are naturally sweet, consider adding a tangy punch to your frosting by combining it with cream cheese.
4. Room Temperature Ingredients:
Having room temperature ingredients assures that they will have enough time to incorporate better into each other within the batter, which ultimately results in a smoother mixture for an equally baked cake.
5. Use Fresh Ingredients:
In every recipe, fresh ingredients add distinct flavors compared to store-bought or preserved ones. Not only does fresh produce taste much better, but they also maintain their original nutrients and vitamins as well.
By keeping these tips in mind and following them carefully, you can make an unbeatable and effortless coconut coffee cake that will leave everyone wanting more!
In conclusion, this coconut coffee cake recipe is a must-try for every coffee lover and dessert enthusiast out there. With its delicious blend of coconut and coffee flavors, it’s guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser that will leave everyone wanting more. Whether you’re hosting a casual brunch or a formal dinner party, this cake is versatile enough to fit any occasion.
Not only is it easy to make with readily available ingredients, but it’s also customizable to your liking with various substitutions and variations. You can add chocolate chips, blueberries, or pecans for an extra delectable twist on this classic recipe.
What I love most about this recipe is how easy it is to personalize it to fit your desired taste and dietary needs. You can use organic ingredients for a healthier option or swap out certain ingredients with gluten-free alternatives.
Overall, this coconut coffee cake recipe is a favorite among many and rightfully so. Its unbeatable combination of flavors and versatile nature make it the perfect dessert for any occasion. Why settle for less when you can have the best? Give this recipe a try and thank me later!
Coconut Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 (11 ounce) can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cake mix, soup, water, eggs, and lemon rind. Beat until blended.
- Stir in 1 cup of coconut, pineapple, and nuts. Spread the batter evenly in a greased and floured 9x13-inch pan.
- In another bowl, cut butter into the flour until crumbly. Stir in sugar and the remaining coconut. Sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake in a 350 oven for 50 minutes or until done.