Delicious Night Before Christmas Coffee Cake Recipe
Welcome coffee lovers! As the holiday season approaches, I introduce to you a very special recipe that is sure to awaken your Christmas spirit. The “Night Before Christmas” Coffee Cake is my personal favorite and I guarantee that after trying it, it will become yours too!
There’s nothing quite like waking up on Christmas morning to the aroma of warm cinnamon and vanilla. The “Night Before Christmas” Coffee Cake is the perfect addition to your Christmas breakfast table. This delicious treat combines layers of moist cake with a delectable cinnamon streusel filling that will melt in your mouth with every bite.
But let me tell you the best part about this recipe. It can be made ahead of time! That’s right, you can prepare it the night before so that you can get some extra sleep and enjoy a stress-free morning with your family. It’s the perfect way to save time and make sure everyone gets their dose of caffeine before they start unwrapping those presents.
So go ahead, pour yourself a steaming cup of coffee and get ready to indulge in the best darn Christmas coffee cake you’ll ever taste. Get the maraschino cherries and a stack of plates ready because everyone will be asking for seconds!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re looking for a festive and delicious way to start your Christmas morning, then you will absolutely love this “Night Before Christmas” coffee cake recipe. Not only is it incredibly easy to make, but it’s also made with simple ingredients that you can easily find at your local grocery store.
Imagine waking up to the sweet smell of cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla filling your home. As you brew a fresh pot of coffee, you’re greeted with the sight of a warm and fluffy cake topped with a crumbly cinnamon streusel topping. The maraschino cherries on top add a pop of color that’s sure to put a smile on anyone’s face.
This recipe is perfect for those who want to save time on Christmas morning without sacrificing flavor or quality. By allowing the cake to rise overnight in the oven, all you have to do in the morning is bake it for 40 minutes and enjoy. It’s the best breakfast coffeecake for those who want something that tastes homemade without having to spend hours in the kitchen.
Not only is this coffee cake delicious, but it also makes for a gorgeous centerpiece on any holiday table. The old-fashioned ring-shape adds an elegant touch while making it easier to slice and serve. Your guests will be impressed by the layers of cinnamon-scented cake and buttery streusel topping.
In short, this “Night Before Christmas” coffee cake recipe is the perfect addition to your Christmas morning routine. It’s easy to make, tastes amazing, and looks beautiful as part of your holiday spread. Don’t settle for boring breakfast egg casseroles or mediocre pastries from the grocery store; try this recipe out and watch as your family falls in love with this new holiday tradition.
Here are the ingredients you will need to create this delightful “Night Before Christmas” Coffee Cake.
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Maraschino cherries (for topping)
For the cinnamon streusel:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
The butter, vanilla, eggs, milk and sugar are used to create a moist and fluffy texture while the cinnamon, sugar, and cherries provide a delicious flavor twist. Don’t forget to assemble all the ingredients before you start baking!
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have gone through the ingredients list, it’s time to get started on making this delicious “Night Before Christmas” coffee cake recipe. In this section, I’ll guide you through the step-by-step process of making this holiday treat.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Grease a 9-inch tube pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix together the cinnamon streusel in a small bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in vanilla and salt to the butter mixture.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated.
- Gradually mix in the flour, alternating with milk, until everything is combined into a smooth batter.
- Pour half of the batter into your prepared pan.
- Sprinkle half of the cinnamon streusel mixture on top of the batter.
- Add remaining batter to the pan.
- Top with the remaining cinnamon streusel mixture.
- Arrange maraschino cherries on top of the streusel.
- Place your cake pan in your cold oven and turn it on to 350°F (180°C). Do not preheat the oven before adding your cake!
- Let your coffee cake bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Once done, remove from the oven and allow cooling for 10 minutes before removing from cake ring.
Voila! Your “Night Before Christmas” coffee cake is ready for serving. It smells and tastes amazing, so be prepared to wow everyone who gets a taste of it.
Substitutions and Variations
The “Night Before Christmas” Coffee Cake recipe is a true classic, but there’s no shame in changing things up to suit your personal taste. Here are some substitutions and variations to consider:
– Cherry Substitution: If you don’t fancy the taste of maraschino cherries, feel free to mix it up with your favorite kind of fruit. Blueberries or raspberries work well, while raisins or dried cranberries can add a chewy texture.
– Streusel Variation: If you are not a fan of cinnamon, you can switch it up with cocoa powder and replace the cinnamon streusel with chocolate streusel. It will add a decadent and rich flavor that will be perfect for those who crave chocolate goodness.
– Sugar Alternatives: If you’re concerned about the amount of sugar in this recipe, try replacing some of the granulated white sugar with brown sugar or honey. The addition of brown sugar will contribute an earthy taste while honey would add depth and complexity to the flavor profile.
– Flour Swaps: Using all-purpose flour is a must for this recipe, but if you prefer gluten-free options, swapping flour for almond flour and coconut flour would make it gluten-free friendly.
– Egg Substitutes: For vegetarians and those who have an egg allergy, this recipe also works with egg replacements such as flax eggs made from ground flaxseed or mashed bananas.
Remember to experiment in small batches first to ensure your adjustments don’t alter the consistency too much. Regardless of the substitution or variation, expect extra flavors that will elevate this classic coffee cake recipe to something even more delicious.
Serving and Pairing
One of the best things about this “Night Before Christmas” coffee cake is how versatile it is when it comes to serving and pairing options. Serve it as the perfect centerpiece for your Christmas breakfast, or as a delicious evening treat with a cup of warm coffee or hot cocoa.
As for pairings, this cake beautifully complements a variety of flavors. For a classic pairing, serve it alongside a steaming hot cup of coffee or tea, which will help enhance the warm cinnamon and sugar notes in the cake. You can also pair it with a cold glass of milk, which makes for a lighter accompaniment that’s perfect for a snack during the day.
For those who like to add a touch of fanciness to their sweet treats, try pairing this coffee cake with maraschino cherry juice or glaze. This gives it an extra boost of color and flavor that’s sure to impress guests at any holiday gathering.
Overall, this “Night Before Christmas” coffee cake is incredibly versatile when it comes to serving and pairing options. Whether you’re enjoying it as part of your Christmas breakfast spread or as an indulgent evening treat, there are many ways to elevate this delicious dessert and turn your holiday season into an unforgettable experience.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Now, who doesn’t love a recipe that can be made in advance? This Night Before Christmas Coffee Cake Recipe is perfect for preparing the night before and baking fresh in the morning. Simply follow the instructions to make the cake mixture, pour it into your prepared cake ring, and sprinkle with the cinnamon streusel topping. Then cover it and leave it to rest in the fridge overnight.
Once you’re ready to bake your Christmas coffee cake, take it out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature while you preheat your oven.
Now, what about storing this delicious coffee cake? Well, if by some miracle there’s any cake left, store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two days. No need to refrigerate as this cake gets better with age!
If you do have leftovers and want to enjoy them at a later time, reheating is easy. Simply wrap individual slices in foil and reheat them in a warm oven for 5-10 minutes until heated through.
So go ahead friends, prepare this Night Before Christmas Coffee Cake recipe when your guests are coming over or just for you on Christmas morning! Either way, this easy-to-make make-ahead recipe that creates such delicious results will steal everyone’s heart.
Tips for Perfect Results
To achieve the perfect “Night Before Christmas” Coffee Cake recipe, there are a few things to keep in mind. Here are my tips for achieving a delicious and visually appealing cake:
1. Let the Cake Cool: Once the cake is out of the oven, let it cool for at least 10 minutes before attempting to cut it. This will help prevent the cake from crumbling or falling apart.
2. Properly Measure Ingredients: Be sure to use measuring cups and spoons when measuring ingredients, especially flour. Too much flour can lead to a dry and dense cake.
3. Use Room Temperature Ingredients: Allow butter, eggs and milk to sit at room temperature before adding them to the batter. Cold ingredients can result in an uneven texture or lumpy batter.
4. Fully Incorporate Ingredients: Mix the ingredients until they are just combined. Over-mixing can lead to a tough and dry cake.
5. High-Quality Butter: Use high-quality butter for best results. This will give your cake a rich flavor and tender crumb.
6. Be Generous with Cinnamon Sugar: Don’t be shy with cinnamon sugar layers – they are what make this coffee cake so decadent and delicious!
7. Use Maraschino Cherries Sparingly: While maraschino cherries add a festive touch to the cake, use them sparingly as too many can overpower the other flavors.
8. Adjust Oven Timing: Every oven is different, so be sure to adjust cooking times accordingly – check on your cake regularly after 45 minutes of baking time.
Follow these tips for perfect results and impress your family and friends with a tasty and visually stunning “Night Before Christmas” Coffee Cake!
In conclusion, this “Night Before Christmas” coffee cake recipe is the perfect addition to your Christmas morning breakfast table. With its delicious cinnamon streusel layer and fluffy cake texture, it’s sure to please everyone’s taste buds. Plus, with the convenience of being able to prepare it the night before, you can save time on Christmas morning and spend more precious moments with your loved ones.
As a barista who loves coffee and all things Christmas, I highly recommend giving this recipe a try. And don’t be afraid to get creative with substitutions and variations to make it your own. From maraschino cherries to chocolate chips, the options are endless.
So head to the grocery store, grab those ingredients, and get ready to bake something special this holiday season. Trust me, your family and friends will thank you for it. Merry Christmas!
“night Before Christmas” Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 2 teaspoons bulk yeast, dissolved in 3 Tbsp. warm water
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup nuts
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherry, candied red and greeen cherries
- Cream together sugar and butter. Then add eggs, milk, yeast (dissolved in 3 tablespoons warm water), flour, salt and vanilla. Beat all of these ingredients together. Then set dough aside and let it rise, until double in size.
- When your coffee cake dough has risen to double the size (this may take about 2 hours) put it in a 9x13-inch greased pan and spread wirh topping;.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, melted butter, nuts and cherries. Now place in a cold oven and leave it in there overnight to rise.
- The next morning turn oven to 350F and bake for 1/2 hour. Take out and serve warm.
- This makes a large coffee cake or you can put the dough in two round pans instead.