Imagine the sweet smell of cinnamon and sugar wafting through your home, mixed with the tartness of fresh rhubarb and ripe blueberries. It’s a delightful sensory experience that can only mean one thing: baking season has arrived. This Rhubarb Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe is the perfect opportunity to welcome fall and indulge in all its flavors.
As a barista, I know how much our customers love a good coffee cake, and this recipe is no exception. The dense cake crumb paired with a crumbly, buttery streusel topping and tangy sour cream brings out the best flavors of rhubarb and blueberry. Whether you’re after a quick breakfast on-the-go or a fancy dessert for dinner, this coffee cake recipe is easy to make and perfect for any occasion.
Trust me; once you taste this delicious Rhubarb Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe, it will quickly become your favorite dessert choice for any time of the day. So why not head into your kitchen right now and treat yourself to something sweet?
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re a fan of coffee cake and are always on the lookout for unique and flavorful variations, then you will absolutely love this rhubarb blueberry sour cream coffee cake recipe. Trust me, as a barista, I’ve come across my fair share of delicious baked goods or desserts to complement a good cup of joe, but this one is something else entirely.
Firstly, the flavor combination of tart rhubarb and sweet blueberries is a match made in heaven. When combined with the rich and tangy notes of sour cream, it creates a delectable balance that will leave your taste buds tingling. The cinnamon and brown sugar topping adds a delicious crunch to the soft and fluffy cake crumb that’s not too sweet nor too overpowering. The walnuts in the streusel make an excellent addition too – adding a pleasant texture and nutty flavor that complements the fruits perfectly.
Moreover, this recipe is easy to make, even for those not comfortable in the kitchen. No fancy equipment or techniques are required as long as you follow the instructions closely. You’ll be rewarded with an impressive-looking dessert that tastes just as good as it looks.
Perhaps the best part of this recipe is that it can be served at any time throughout the day! It makes an excellent breakfast treat alongside your morning coffee or can be served as an afternoon snack with iced coffee on a hot summer day. It’s also great for dessert occasions, especially when paired with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
In conclusion, if you’re looking for a satisfying and flavorful coffee cake recipe that will impress your family and guests alike, look no further than this rhubarb blueberry sour cream coffee cake! Trust me; once you try it, you’ll want to make it time and time again.
Here are the ingredients for making rhubarb blueberry sour cream coffee cake recipe:
- Butter: 1 cup of unsalted butter softened.
- Granulated Sugar: 2 cups of granulated sugar and one cup to sprinkle on the berries.
- Brown Sugar: 1 cup of brown sugar, dark or light whichever you prefer, packed.
- Egg: 3 large eggs at room temperature.
- Sour Cream: 1½ cups of full-fat sour cream.
- Vanilla Extract: 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, pure if possible.
- Flour: 3 cups of all-purpose flour.
- Baking Soda: 1½ teaspoons of baking soda.
- Salt: 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Cinnamon: 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon, divided (use one teaspoon for the batter and one teaspoon for the streusel).
- Walnuts: 8 ounces (about 2 cups) of chopped walnuts (Optional).
- Rhubarb: 1½ cups of rhubarb cut into small pieces.
- Blueberries: ¾ cup fresh or frozen blueberries.
The Recipe How-To
After gathering all the necessary ingredients and preparing them, it’s time to make this delicious Rhubarb Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake.
Step 1: Making The Rhubarb Blueberry Filling
In a large bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb, 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Set aside.
Step 2: Making The Cake Batter
In another large bowl, cream together 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup granulated sugar until fluffy using an electric mixer. Add one egg at a time and mix thoroughly. After that, add 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
In a separate medium bowl, mix together 3 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 3/4 teaspoons salt. Then add this to the butter mixture in four parts alternating with a cup of sour cream.
Step 3: Adding The Rhubarb-Blueberry Filling To The Cake Mix
Slowly fold the rhubarb-blueberry filling into the cake batter until it is mixed well.
Step 4: Creating The Streusel Topping
In a small bowl, mix together 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, and 8 ounces chopped walnuts with a fork for making streusel topping.
Step 5: Assembling And Baking The Coffee Cake
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease your bundt pan with butter or non-stick spray. Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan followed by half of the streusel topping mixture then add remaining batter on top of the streusel layer. Finally, sprinkle the remaining streusel over the top of the batter.
Bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Step 6: Let It Cool And Serve
Once the cake is ready, let it cool down completely before removing it from the pan. Serve and enjoy at any time of day.
Substitutions and Variations
One of the best things about baking is that there is always room for experimentation. So if you are feeling adventurous or want to make some substitutes, here are some ideas that you could try!
– Fruit substitutions: If Rhubarb and Blueberries are not your thing, you can swap them out with other fruits such as strawberries, raspberries, or even peaches. Fresh or frozen fruits can be used.
– Nutty crunch: If Walnuts aren’t your favourite nuts, Pecans or Almonds can be used as well to add some extra crunch and nutty flavour to the recipe. Alternatively, you can also omit the nuts altogether.
– Dairy-free: Want to make a dairy-free version? You can replace the sour cream in the recipe with an equal amount of non-dairy yogurt such as coconut yogurt or soy yogurt.
– Gluten-free: To make a gluten-free version, simply replace regular flour with gluten-free flour. The general rule is 1:1 ratio; but be sure to choose a gluten-free flour which has a similar texture to regular flour for best results.
These simple substitutions will allow you to create different variations of this coffee cake recipe, catering to different dietary needs and tastes. So do not hesitate to venture into different combinations until you discover your perfect coffee cake flavour!
Serving and Pairing
Once your Rhubarb Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake has cooled completely, slice it up into generous pieces and serve with a piping hot cup of coffee. The tangy creaminess of the sour cream in the cake pairs perfectly with a bold dark roast, but you can experiment with different coffee varieties to find your perfect match.
Though this coffee cake is delicious on its own, you can also pair it with some fresh whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a decadent dessert experience. If you’re feeling indulgent, drizzle some silky caramel sauce over the top for an extra layer of sweetness.
For a breakfast or brunch spread, consider serving this coffee cake alongside fresh fruit and yogurt or a savory quiche. The flavors of blueberry and rhubarb make it an ideal companion for both sweet and savory dishes.
No matter how you choose to enjoy it, this Rhubarb Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake is sure to impress. Its fruity flavors and comforting crumb make it a classic favorite, perfect for any occasion or time of day.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
The Rhubarb Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake can be made ahead of time and stored for a few days, making it an irresistible dessert option for busy days. To make it ahead of time, simply wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap once it has completely cooled down, and store it in the refrigerator for up to three days.
When you are ready to serve, you can either serve it cold or warm it up slightly. To reheat, preheat your oven to 325°F and remove the plastic wrapping from the cake. Cover the cake with a piece of aluminum foil and place it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes or until warmed through.
If you need to store leftovers, simply wrap the remaining cake in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil before placing it in the freezer. The cake can be stored in the freezer for up to three months. When you are craving some sweetness, remove a slice from the freezer and thaw at room temperature for a few hours before reheating as mentioned earlier.
The Rhubarb Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake remains moist even after being stored or reheated. Its delicious taste and texture remain intact making this makes this recipe ideal not only as an easy make-ahead dessert option but also an effortless dessert solution to have at hand whenever a sugar craving strikes you.
Tips for Perfect Results
Achieving the perfect Rhubarb Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake can be quite a challenge, but with these tips, you can guarantee success. Here are some key tips for achieving optimal results every time:
1. Use Good Quality Ingredients: Make sure you use the freshest and highest quality ingredients available. Fresh rhubarb and blueberries will make all the difference in taste.
2. Follow the Recipe Measurements: Don’t deviate from the recipe measurements when it comes to ingredients such as flour, baking soda, and salt. These ingredients are crucial to the texture and structure of your cake.
3. Prepare Your Pans: Prepare your pans properly by greasing and flouring them so that your cake doesn’t stick. A bundt pan or a 9×13 inch baking pan is best for this recipe.
4. Mix Cake Ingredients Well: When mixing your cake ingredients, it’s important not to overmix the batter. Overmixing can cause your coffee cake to be dense and tough.
5. Streusel Topping: Don’t forget to prepare your streusel topping as it adds flavor and crunch to your coffee cake. It’s also essential in balancing out the sweetness of the rhubarb and blueberries.
6. Cool Before Icing: Once you’ve removed your cake from the oven, let it cool before icing it with sour cream glaze. Your frosting will melt and become runny if applied while the cake is still warm.
7. Keep an Eye on Baking Time: Bake the cake until it is golden brown on top and baked through in the center – this typically takes 50-60 minutes for a bundt pan or 35-40 minutes for a rectangular pan.
8. Have Fun Experimenting: While this recipe is certainly delicious as is, don’t hesitate to make it your own! Try different fruits like strawberries instead of blueberries, or add walnuts or cinnamon to the streusel topping. The possibilities are endless!
By following these tips, you will be well on your way to a perfectly baked Rhubarb Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake every time. Enjoy!
Now that you have all the information you need to make a delicious rhubarb blueberry sour cream coffee cake, what are you waiting for? This recipe is easy to make and perfect for any occasion, whether you’re hosting a brunch or just looking for a sweet treat.
I urge you to try this recipe out for yourself and see why it’s one of the best coffee cake recipes out there. The combination of tart rhubarb and sweet blueberries, paired with the creamy sour cream and nutty streusel topping, is truly unbeatable.
And remember, don’t be afraid to get creative with substitutions and variations. Try using different fruits or adding in some nuts or spices to make the recipe your own.
So go ahead and indulge in this irresistible rhubarb blueberry sour cream coffee cake. You won’t regret it!
Rhubarb Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 cup packed brown sugar or 1 cup sucanat
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pcs
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Cream butter and brown sugar; mix in egg.
- Mix flour, soda and salt together, then add intermittently with sour cream to creamed mixture.
- Fold in rhubarb and berries.
- Mix nuts, sugar, cinnamon and butter, and spread over top.
- Pour batter into 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack. Serve warm or cold, with whipped cream.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You