Looking for the perfect coffee cake recipe that adds an autumnal twist to your morning routine? Look no further than our delectable spiced apple coffee cake recipe. This sweet and aromatic cake is the perfect way to start your day off right, with the delicious scent of cinnamon, cardamom, and tart cooking apples wafting through your kitchen.
This easy-to-follow recipe is guaranteed to impress both your family members and house guests alike. The layered flavors of warm spices and apples make for a cozy, comforting experience with each bite. Whether you enjoy it as part of a weekend brunch or as an on-the-go snack during a busy workday, our spiced apple coffee cake is sure to become your new go-to recipe.
So let’s grab those apples and get baking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re a fan of apple desserts or anything spiced, this Spiced Apple Coffee Cake Recipe should instantly pique your interest. This recipe combines the classic taste of coffee cake with sweet and tangy tart cooking apples, aromatic spices like ground cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger, and a buttery crumb topping for an unforgettable taste sensation.
What makes this recipe particularly great is its versatility. You can serve it as a midday snack, an after-dinner dessert, or even as breakfast coffee cake. The flavors are perfect for any time of day and will have you coming back for more.
Not only does this recipe pack in all the flavors that we love, but it also offers excellent nutritional value. With tart cooking apples front and center and a crumbly mixture of cinnamon and sugar on top, this coffee cake provides plenty of fiber while keeping things low in fat.
This Spiced Apple Coffee Cake Recipe is also straightforward to whip up, making it an ideal choice for busy weekdays or unexpected guests. It’s also incredibly budget-friendly without sacrificing quality or flavor.
So if you’re looking for the perfect dessert to impress and satisfy your guests or if you want something indulgent yet healthy anytime – look no further than this Spiced Apple Coffee Cake Recipe. Trust me; you won’t be disappointed!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this Spiced Apple Coffee Cake Recipe:
- For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped into small pieces (Granny Smith or Braeburn are good choices)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- For the spiced apple crumb topping:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cardamom
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Note: If you prefer a thicker crumb layer on top, double this recipe for the spiced apple crumb topping.
Make sure you have all these ingredients before starting to bake your delicious Spiced Apple Coffee Cake.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we’ve gone through the ingredient list, let’s jump into The Recipe How-To section. Follow these steps to create a delicious spiced apple coffee cake that will leave your taste buds asking for more.
Step One: Mix the Dry Ingredients
Using a medium bowl, whisk together 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom, and 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger until they are well combined.
Step Two: Cream the Butter and Sugars
Using a large bowl, beat 3/4 cup of unsalted butter and 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar until light and fluffy on medium-high speed with an electric mixer for approximately 3-4 minutes.
Step Three: Add in Wet Ingredients
Add two large eggs to the butter-sugar mixture one at a time, beating each additional egg thoroughly. Then mix in 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
Step Four: Add Flour Mixture
With the mixer speed to low or by hand, gradually fold in the previously combined dry ingredients mixture from step one until it is completely incorporated into the batter.
Step Five: Apple Mixture Preparation
Mix peeled, cored, and diced apples (about ⅛ cup – 1 cup) with 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
Step Six: Layer Batter, Apple Mixture, and Crumb Topping in Baking Dish
Use an ungreased cake or bundt pan (9 inches), pour half of the prepared batter into the bottom. Spread apple mixture over dough layer. Pour remaining batter over apples. Sprinkle crumb mixture on top.
Step Seven: Bake
Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake for approximately 45 minutes to an hour or until golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Your spiced apple coffee cake is ready to serve! Enjoy.
Substitutions and Variations
One of my favorite things about baking is the endless possibilities for substitutions and variations. Here are a few ideas to make this Spiced Apple Coffee Cake recipe your own:
– Fruit: The recipe calls for tart cooking apples, but feel free to use any apple variety you like. You could also try pears or even cranberries for a festive twist.
– Spices: While I love the combination of cinnamon and cardamom in this recipe, you can mix and match spices to your liking. Try adding some ground ginger, allspice, or cloves for extra warmth and depth of flavor.
– Topping: The crumb topping is delicious as is, but you could also try swapping out some of the brown sugar for granulated sugar or adding chopped nuts for crunch.
– Gluten-Free: To make this recipe gluten-free, swap out the all-purpose flour for a gluten-free flour blend. Make sure to check that all other ingredients do not contain gluten (such as baking powder).
– Reduced-Sugar: If you’re looking to cut back on sugar, try reducing the amount called for in the recipe by 1/3 to 1/2. You could also add an extra apple or some raisins to boost natural sweetness.
No matter how you choose to customize this Spiced Apple Coffee Cake recipe, I’m sure it will be a hit. Experiment, have fun, and enjoy!
Serving and Pairing
Spiced apple coffee cake is a delicious treat that can be served as a dessert or a breakfast pastry. The combination of warm cinnamon and cardamom spices with the sweet and tart apples creates a perfect balance of flavors in every bite.
To serve, let the coffee cake cool for about 10-15 minutes before dusting the top with confectioners’ sugar. You can also add a dollop of whipped cream on top or serve it with a side of vanilla ice cream for an extra indulgent treat.
Pairing spiced apple coffee cake with your favorite coffee or tea is always a great choice, as it pairs well with most hot drinks. You can also pair it with hot cocoa or steamed milk for a cozy and comforting winter treat.
If you’re looking to elevate your pairing game, try pairing your spiced apple coffee cake with a smooth and rich espresso. The bold flavor of espresso adds an extra layer of depth that complements the cinnamon and cardamom spices perfectly.
Spiced apple coffee cake is also great as part of a brunch spread, especially during the fall and winter months. Serve it alongside other brunch favorites such as quiches, egg dishes, and seasonal fruit salads for a satisfying breakfast feast.
No matter how you choose to serve it, spiced apple coffee cake is sure to be a crowd-pleaser that everyone will love.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Have you ever wondered whether you could make the spiced apple coffee cake ahead of time, and if so, how to store and reheat it? Look no further! I’ve got some tips that will help you enjoy your delicious spiced apple coffee cake for days to come.
If you want to make the spiced apple coffee cake ahead of time, it’s as easy as preparing the recipe up to 24 hours in advance. Just cover the uncooked cake with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Then, when you are ready to serve, remove it from the fridge and place it into the preheated oven.
If you have any leftovers, which is highly unlikely given how delicious this coffee cake is, let them cool completely before storing them. For best results, store your spiced apple coffee cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
When reheating your spiced apple coffee cake, there are a few ways to go about it. The microwave method is easily the fastest way to reheat, but it can also run the risk of drying out the cake. If using this method, wrap a slice of cake in damp paper towels and microwave it on high for 20-30 seconds at a time, checking frequently until warmed through.
My preferred method is reheating in an oven or toaster oven. Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and then pop your leftover slices onto an oven-safe dish. Place in the preheated oven for 5-8 minutes or until heated through. This method results in evenly heated cake with a warm fluffy texture that melts in your mouth.
So there you have it- making-ahead, storing and reheating your spiced apple coffee cake is easy-peasy. Enjoy your favourite treat whenever you want with these handy tips!
Tips for Perfect Results
Now, to ensure that your spiced apple coffee cake turns out perfectly, here are some tips to follow.
Firstly, make sure to use tart cooking apples such as Granny Smith or Braeburns. These types of apples will hold their texture when baked and provide a delicious tartness that balances out the sweetness of the cake.
It’s also important to mix the dry ingredients thoroughly before adding in the wet ingredients. This ensures that everything is evenly distributed and you don’t end up with pockets of dry flour in your finished cake.
Another tip is to use room temperature ingredients. Take your butter, cream cheese, and eggs- leave them on the kitchen counter for 30 minutes or so before you start baking. The temperature difference between the cold ingredients and the room temperature ones can impact how well the ingredients incorporate into each other, resulting in inconsistently textured cake.
When working with spices like cinnamon, cardamom or ginger, make sure they’re fresh. Spices can lose their potency over time, so if you’ve had that jar of cinnamon sitting in your pantry for several years already and it hasn’t been used much, it may not offer the flavor needed for maximum enjoyment.
Lastly, when making the crumb topping, it’s important to use melted butter instead of softened butter so that the crumb mixture turns out light and crumbly. Plus, drip the lemon juice while preparing glaze carefully- too much liquid can make it too sweet and thin.
In conclusion, this spiced apple coffee cake recipe is one of the most delectable and mouth-watering baked goodness you can ever make in your kitchen. It’s easy to whip up, has a perfect blend of spices, and the tart cooking apples add that extra layer of flavor that would surely leave your taste buds begging for more. This recipe is versatile and flexible; you can substitute the ingredients to suit your preference or vary the toppings to give it a unique twist.
Whether you are a seasoned baker or just starting out, this recipe is perfect for anyone who desires to indulge in a delightful coffee cake treat anytime. The aroma that wafts from the oven when it’s baking is simply heavenly, and there’s nothing like slicing into a warm coffee cake, enjoying every bite as it melts in your mouth.
So go ahead and give this recipe a try. It’s not only delicious but also an excellent way to bond with family and friends over a cup of coffee or tea. Trust me; this spiced apple coffee cake will be a real crowd-pleaser, and you’ll be making it over and over again once you taste it.
Spiced Apple Coffee Cake Recipe
For the Cake
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped (1 pound total)
- 2 2 tablespoons lemon juice or 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cardamom, ground
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
For the Vanilla Glaze
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons skimmed condensed milk, warmed, plus more
- skimmed condensed milk, as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 9-inch round springform pan or a 9 x 9-inch square baking pan or baking dish.
- To Make the Cake: In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, toss the apples with the juice.
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, cardamom and cinnamon.
- Add to the apples and toss to coat.
- Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, combine the butter, cream cheese, granulated sugar and vanilla and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture in 2 or 3 additions and beat well until smooth.
- Using a large rubber spatula, gently fold in the apples just until evenly distributed, no more than a few strokes.
- Do not overmix.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 60 to 70 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes.
- To Make the Glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, the 2 tablespoons milk and the vanilla until smooth and pourable.
- Adjust the consistency of the glaze by adding more milk, a few drops at a time, if needed.
- Remove the sides of the springform pan, if using, and place the cake on a wire rack set over a piece of waxed paper to catch any drips.
- While the cake is warm, drizzle with the glaze.
- Let the cake cool to room temperature.
- Cut into wedges or squares to serve.