Oh sweet coffee cake, how do I adore thee? Let me count the ways… From its light and fluffy texture to its irresistible nutty flavor, there’s a reason why coffee cakes are an all-time favorite. And when you add chocolate and almonds to the mix, you have a dessert that is out-of-this-world good.
That’s why I’m thrilled to share with you my recipe for Chocolate Almond Coffee Cake. Whether you’re hosting a brunch with friends or just need a delightful treat to have with your morning cup of joe, this recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings. The combination of rich chocolate, crunchy almonds, and moist cake is simply divine.
So put on your apron and let’s get baking! Follow along with my step-by-step instructions and soon enough, you’ll have a Chocolate Almond Coffee Cake that will be the envy of all who try it.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Oh dear coffee lovers, gather around and hear my words as I present to you a delicious treat that will leave you craving for more – the Chocolate Almond Coffee Cake recipe. This recipe is a combination of mesmerizing flavors and aroma that will take your taste buds on a journey to paradise. Trust me, once you taste this beauty, you won’t be able to resist its charm.
Firstly, this recipe has a perfect balance of chocolate and almond which is a match made in heaven. The rich and decadent chocolate is perfectly complemented by the nutty taste of almonds, creating an irresistible combination. The result is a cake that’s fluffy, moist, and bursting with flavors.
Secondly, the ingredient list contains easily accessible items such as milk, butter, eggs, flour, and baking powder. You won’t need to go on a scavenger hunt to find the ingredients. Everything can be found in your pantry or local grocery store without denting your wallet.
Thirdly, this recipe is versatile. It can be served as a breakfast snack or as an after-dinner dessert alongside ice-cream or coffee. It’s suitable for any occasion – birthdays, anniversaries or even as an everyday treat. Trust me; this recipe won’t disappoint.
Lastly, the Chocolate Almond Coffee Cake is easy to make. With just a little bit of patience and some love from your heart, you’ll have an excellent result – it’s that simple! Even if you’re not an experienced baker, this recipe comes with easy-to-follow instructions so that you can bake like a pro.
In conclusion, believe me when I say that once you try this recipe out for yourself and have a bite of its deliciousness, it will become your new go-to dessert/snack. So why not treat yourself today? Go ahead, give it a try; your taste buds will thank you!
Here are the ingredients that you need to prepare to make a delicious chocolate almond coffee cake!
- Milk: 1 cup
- Butter or Margarine, melted: 1/2 cup
- All-Purpose Flour: 2 cups
- Brown Sugar, packed: 1 1/4 cup
- Eggs, beaten: 2
- Honey: 1 tbsp
- Almond Paste: 2/3 cup
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Baking Soda: 1 tsp
- Baking Powder: 1 tsp
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips: 1 cup
For the Almond Streusel Topping (Optional)
- Brown Sugar, packed: 1/4 cup
- All-Purpose Flour: 1/4 cup
- Ground Almonds or Almond Meal: 1/4 cup
- Unsalted Butter, chilled and cubed: 3 tbsp
For the Chocolate Glaze (Optional)
- Dark Chocolate, chopped: 4 oz.
- Butter or Margarine: 2 tbsp
- Instant Espresso Powder or Coffee Granules: 1 tsp
Note: You can use any brand of ingredients that you prefer. If you have dietary restrictions, you can also substitute some of the ingredients with alternatives.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have gathered all the ingredients, it’s time to bring this delicious chocolate almond coffee cake to life! Follow these easy steps and you’ll be savoring a piece of heaven in less than an hour.
Step 1: Preparing the Batter
- Preheat your oven to 350° F (175° C) and grease a 9-inch (23 cm) round cake pan with butter or margarine.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of salt until everything is evenly combined.
- Add in 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and mix everything together again.
- In another bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of melted butter or margarine, 1 cup of milk, 3 eggs and 1 tablespoon of honey until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined – don’t overdo it as you don’t want to develop too much gluten!
- Fold in the crumbled almond paste, along with 1 cup of chopped chocolate.
Step 2: Baking the Cake
- Pour the batter into your greased pan, and tap it lightly on your counter to remove any trapped air bubbles.
- Bake for anywhere between 30-45 minutes, depending on your oven – start checking after 30 minutes by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, then it is done!
- Remove from oven and let it sit for about ten minutes before transferring to a plate or wire rack to cool completely.
Step 3: Topping the Cake
- Once the cake has cooled down completely, you can add any toppings of your choice.
- We suggest mixing melted dark chocolate and 1 tablespoon of instant espresso with a little butter, and then drizzling it over the cake.
- Serve it with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, a sprinkle of chopped almonds, and a hot cup of coffee.
Enjoy your freshly baked chocolate almond coffee cake!
Substitutions and Variations
Greetings, fair sirs and maidens! I present to thee a plethora of substitutions and variations for this delightful recipe.
If thou dost not possess almonds or hast an allergy, fear not! One may replace the almond paste with hazelnut spread or even peanut butter for a unique twist on the chocolate flavor. Alternatively, for a gluten-free option, use almond flour instead of all-purpose flour.
Should one seek a different form for their cake, mayhap try making small muffins or cupcakes instead. This would be especially pleasing if one was hosting a tea party or desired portion control.
For those who desire a boozy addition, consider soaking the almonds in amaretto before adding them to the batter. Alternatively, one could drizzle some Kahlúa over the finished cake before serving.
If thou hast no cocoa powder at hand, fret not! One could utilize a chocolate fudge cake mix in place of the dry ingredients listed. If desiring a mocha-flavored cake, simply add some instant espresso powder to the batter.
For an additional layer of flavor, cover the top of the cake with a streusel mixture made of brown sugar, butter/margarine, cinnamon and chopped almonds before baking. Alternatively, top with chocolate chips and/or toasted coconut for a tropical twist.
May these suggestions inspire thy creativity and lead thee to culinary bliss!
Serving and Pairing
This irresistible chocolate almond coffee cake recipe is a perfect delight that can be enjoyed at any time of the day. It’s rich and fluffy, with hints of chocolate and almond flavors that will make your taste buds dance with joy. A great way to serve this cake is warm, straight from the oven with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream on top.
Coffee is an ideal pairing for this cake. Its energizing effect will be perfectly complemented by the scrumptious taste of chocolate and almonds. You can also serve it with a cup of raspberry coffee to balance the sweetness of the cake with the tangy fruity notes of coffee. It’s guaranteed to be a delicious match.
In addition, you can serve it as a dessert after a savory meal paired with bold red wine. The deep, rich flavors of red wine will perfectly complement the complexity of this cake. To make things even more special, you can add some roasted almonds on top for an extra crunch!
This cake also makes a great centerpiece for brunch or afternoon tea parties. Its elegant presentation combined with its delicious flavors and aroma makes it a perfect treat for any occasion. You can pair it with a nice cup of Earl Grey tea or Chai Latte and some fresh fruits on the side and your guests will be impressed.
With so many pairing options, this chocolate almond coffee cake recipe is not only easy to make but also versatile and adaptable to any serving occasion. It’s guaranteed to leave everyone asking for more!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Whereas it’s difficult to resist the lovely scent of a freshly baked chocolate almond coffee cake, it is possible that you will end up with leftovers. If that is the case, here are some suggestions on what to do next:
Make-ahead: The cake can be prepared beforehand so it’s ready to bake when you’re ready. Follow the recipe and prepare the batter as directed, then pour it into a greased 9-inch baking dish. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to three days before baking as usual.
Storing: Once cooled, store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Will last for 3-4 days. You can also cut and wrap individual slices in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
Reheating: To enjoy your leftover cake again, reheat individual slices in the microwave for about 15 seconds or in the oven for a few minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Consider sprinkling some powdered sugar or cinnamon on top of reheated slices.
Additionally, the cake can be frozen for up to two months. Simply wrap individual slices tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil and place them in a zip-top freezer bag. Upon reheating from frozen, preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and bake on a middle shelf for about 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Chocolate almond coffee cake is a versatile treat that can be enjoyed not only as breakfast but also as snack, tea time delight or dessert. Knowing how to make-ahead, store, and reheat leftover cakes will ensure that you don’t let any slice go to waste.
Tips for Perfect Results
To ensure that your chocolate almond coffee cake turns out perfectly, try these helpful tips:
1. Use quality ingredients.
Always opt for fresh and high-quality ingredients when making cakes. This will ensure that the flavors are rich and well-balanced. Using low-quality ingredients can ruin the overall taste of the cake.
2. Measure ingredients correctly.
Ensure that you measure all the ingredients accurately as indicated in the recipe. Little variations in the measurements could negatively affect the texture, taste, and overall success of your chocolate almond coffee cake.
3. Almond paste
Almond paste is an essential ingredient in this recipe, it adds flavor and moisture to your cake, however, if you don’t have access to it or don’t prefer it, you can make substitutions with almond flour or ground almonds.
4. Creaming the butter and sugar.
When creaming butter and sugar together, ensure they are at room temperature as this will help to achieve a light and fluffy mixture. To achieve a perfect creamy texture, first, beat the butter until smooth before adding sugar gradually while constantly mixing until fluffy.
5. Preheat your oven
Ensure that your oven is preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit before baking your chocolate almond coffee cake. Preheating allows for even baking of your cake and ensures that it rises properly without burning on the top while remaining undercooked in the middle.
6. Check for doneness
To avoid over-baking or under-baking your cake, check for doneness by inserting a toothpick or a cake tester at the center of the cake. If it comes out clean with no batter sticking to it then remove from heat; otherwise, allow more baking time until fully cooked.
By following these few tips, you’ll be guaranteed a delicious chocolate almond coffee cake with every bake!
In conclusion, this chocolate almond coffee cake recipe is the perfect addition to any breakfast or brunch table. With its combination of rich chocolate, crunchy almonds, and flavorful coffee, it is sure to impress and satisfy your taste buds. This recipe offers a variety of substitutions and variations that cater to your preferences, making it an excellent option for families and large groups. It’s also a great dessert option for those looking for gluten-free or dairy-free alternatives.
Whether you’re hosting a weekend brunch or looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with your morning coffee, this cake recipe offers profitability in its versatility – serving as dessert or breakfast. The combination of flavors in this cake is a delectable treat that showcases the variety of ingredients utilized. Additionally, with our tips for perfect results, FAQ section, and make-ahead instructions, even novice bakers can produce outstanding results.
Overall, the recipe is easy to follow and the results are delicious. I hope you try this chocolate almond coffee cake recipe from start to finish because it’s a win-win situation – you get to satisfy your sweet tooth while having fun in the kitchen!
Chocolate Almond Coffee Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter or 3/4 cup margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 (12 ounce) package nestle toll house semi-sweet chocolate bits, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in small bowl.
- Set aside.
- Beat butter, sugar, honey and almond extract in large mixer bowl until creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with milk.
- Stir in 1 cup morsels.
- Divide batter into prepared cake pans.
- In medium bowl add brown sugar and cut in butter or margarine with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in sliced almonds and 1/2 cup morsels.
- sprinkle over batter.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 15 minutes.
- Melt remaining 1/2 cup morsels, butter or margarine and milk in small saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth.
- Drizzle over coffeecake.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You