Hey there coffee lovers! I am thrilled to share with you my delicious pear coffee cake recipe. This decadent and easy-to-make dessert is perfect for breakfast, brunch or as an afternoon treat. Trust me – this recipe will bring your culinary game to the next level and impress your guests.
The combination of soft and juicy pears with warm aromatic spices such as cinnamon and ginger is simply irresistible. The texture is perfectly balanced with a soft cake base, a crispy walnut crumble topping, and the tanginess of the sour cream.
Whether you are a seasoned baker or new in the kitchen, this recipe is achievable for everyone. So what are you waiting for? Put on your apron, turn on some music, grab a cup of coffee, and let’s get baking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you are looking for a sweet, moist, and delectable dessert that can be enjoyed with a rich cup of coffee, then you’ll absolutely love this pear coffee cake recipe. This is not your run-of-the-mill coffee cake – this is a cutting-edge take on the classic recipe that will have you reaching for seconds and thirds.
Firstly, this recipe features juicy pears that bring a succulent sweetness to every bite. The pears also add a subtle crunch to the texture of the cake that complements the tender crumb perfectly. Additionally, the chopped walnuts in the batter and streusel filling create a nutty and crunchy texture that will leave your taste buds dancing.
Secondly, the spices included in this recipe truly take it to the next level. A generous amount of ground cinnamon adds warmth and complexity to each bite, while ginger adds a refreshing zing. These flavors pair perfectly with the rich aroma of freshly-brewed coffee.
Thirdly, this cake is incredibly easy to make. With only ten minutes of prep time, it’s a breeze to whip up when you’re in need of an impressive dessert on short notice. Plus, the substitution options mean that you can easily modify and tailor the recipe according to your own preferences and dietary restrictions.
Finally, this dessert is versatile enough to be enjoyed at any time of year. Whether it’s autumn or springtime or anything in between, this spiced pear coffee cake will undoubtedly become your go-to favorite for any occasion.
In summary, if you’re looking for an irresistible dessert that combines sweetness and texture with luscious pears and aromatic spice – look no further than this incredible pear coffee cake recipe!
For the Cake:
- 2 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup of sour cream or Greek yogurt
- ½ cup (1 stick) of melted butter
- 1 ½ cups packed ripe pears (about 3 medium), peeled and chopped
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
For the Pear Streusel Topping:
- ¼ cup of unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup of brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
For the Pear Crumb Topping:
- 1¼ cups quick pear streusel mix (see instructions below)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar light or dark brown, see notes for more options
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Quick Pear Streusel Mix:
(This will yield about two cups, you will only need about half)
- 1¼ cups of unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar light or dark brown, see notes for more options
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Note: This recipe can be made gluten-free by using a gluten-free flour blend in place of regular flour. Canned pears can also be used in place of fresh pears if they are not available or out of season.
The Recipe How-To
Now let’s get down to the fun part – making the pear coffee cake!
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9-inch (23cm) cake pan with butter or cooking spray.
Step 2: Next, you need to prep your pears. Peel and chop 3 ripe pears (about 3 cups) into small, bite-sized pieces.
Step 3: In a large bowl, mix together 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, and ½ teaspoon salt.
Step 4: In another bowl, cream together 1 cup granulated sugar and ½ cup unsalted butter (room temperature) until light and fluffy. Add in 2 eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Step 5: Now it’s time to add in the dry ingredients from Step 3 to the wet ingredients in Step 4. Mix on low speed until just combined.
Step 6: Next add in 1 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt and mix again until combined.
The Pear Streusel
Step 7: In a separate small bowl, mix together ¾ cup packed brown sugar, ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and ½ cup walnuts (chopped). Add in melted butter gradually until the mixture is crumbly.
Combining Everything Together
Step 8: Add pear chunks to batter and mix gently.
Step 9: Pour half of the batter evenly into the prepared cake pan. Then add half of the prepared streusel and gently spread over batter with your hand.
Step 10: Now pour in the rest of the batter and add the remaining streusel on top.
Step 11: Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Congratulations, you have just made a delicious pear coffee cake! Enjoy it with a hot cup of coffee or even a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra treat.
Substitutions and Variations
In case you don’t have all the ingredients or simply want to mix things up, here are some substitutions and variations for this delicious pear coffee cake recipe.
– Walnuts: If you’re allergic to nuts or just not a fan, you can replace them with pecans or almonds. For a nut-free version, you can swap them with chocolate chips, dried cranberries or raisins.
– Greek Yogurt: Instead of sour cream, use Greek yogurt. It adds the same tangy flavor and moist texture to the cake. You can also try using plain yogurt or buttermilk if that’s what you have on hand.
– Brown Sugar: Light brown sugar and dark brown sugar are interchangeable in this recipe. Use whichever one you prefer or have available.
– Canned Pears: If fresh pears aren’t in season or hard to find, you can use canned pears instead. Just drain them well before adding to the cake batter.
– Gluten-Free: To make this cake gluten-free, use a gluten-free flour blend instead of all-purpose flour. You can also experiment with almond flour, oat flour or coconut flour, but keep in mind that the texture and taste may vary.
– Spiced Pear Coffee Cake: Add 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg or allspice to the cake batter for an extra punch of warm spices.
– Pear Walnut Cake: Replace half of the walnuts with chopped pecans for a different flavor profile. You can also sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on top of the cake for a sweet and crunchy crust.
– Apple Pear Dessert: Mix chopped apples and pears together to make an apple pear dessert coffee cake. You can also add a drizzle of caramel sauce on top before serving.
These substitutions and variations will give this classic coffee cake a new twist while still maintaining its delicious flavor profile. Experiment with different ingredients and see what combinations you like best!
Serving and Pairing
This amazing pear coffee cake is a perfect treat for a special breakfast, brunch, or dessert. It’s moist, crumbly and delicious with chunks of juicy pears, hints of cinnamon and ginger and topped with a toasty pecan streusel.
This cake is delicious on its own, but you can pair it with coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or even cold milk. Serve it warm or at room temperature to your family and friends, and watch them savour every last bite.
If you want to add more richness to this coffee cake, smear some cream cheese frosting on top. You can also serve it with whipped cream or Greek yogurt to cut the sweetness and add some tanginess. The contrasting textures and flavors of the cake and toppings make it more satisfying.
Another great way to enjoy this cake is by pairing it with fresh fruits like apples or pear slices. You can create an apple-pear dessert platter bursting with flavors that will delight your guests.
For those who are gluten-free or health-conscious, you can substitute the all-purpose flour for almond flour or another gluten-free variety. Make sure to adjust the measurements accordingly to get the right texture.
You can also top this cake with canned pears instead of fresh ones if they’re not available in your area. Be creative and experiment with different pairs of ingredients to make this spiced pear walnut cake a unique delight every time you crave something sweet.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Coffee cakes are known for their ability to stay moist and rich in flavor for a long time. This recipe is no exception! To make things even easier, this pear coffee cake can be made ahead of time and reheated when ready to serve.
To make ahead, let the cake cool completely then store it in an airtight container or wrap it tightly with plastic wrap. The cake will keep at room temperature for up to two days or in the fridge for up to five days.
To reheat the cake, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and place the cake on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until warm throughout. Alternatively, you can also microwave individual slices for 10-20 seconds until warm.
For those who wish to freeze the baked cake, allow it to cool completely before wrapping it tightly with plastic wrap and placing it in an airtight freezer-safe container. The cake can be frozen for up to two months.
Reheating the frozen pear coffee cake involves thawing it at room temperature before reheating it in the oven as directed above.
Once reheated, the flavors of the pear streusel coffee cake will be just as delicious as freshly baked. So, make this ahead of time and enjoy it whenever you want!
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to baking, having perfect results is all about precision and technique. Here are some tips to help you make the best pear coffee cake possible:
First, make sure to use fresh ingredients. This includes fresh pears, fresh walnuts, and fresh spices like cinnamon and ginger. Using stale or expired ingredients can greatly affect the flavor and texture of your cake.
Next, be sure to properly measure your ingredients. Baking is a science, and accurate measurements are crucial for a successful outcome. Use measuring cups and spoons, and level off ingredients like flour and sugar to ensure they are correctly measured.
When making the pear streusel topping or the walnut crumb topping, be careful not to over-mix it. Overworking the mixture can cause it to become tough or too dense. Instead, mix until just combined and crumbly.
Another tip for perfect results is to preheat your oven before baking. This ensures that your cake will bake evenly and will rise properly. If your oven is not hot enough, your cake could sink in the middle or take longer to bake than expected.
Finally, don’t rush the cooling process. Let your cake cool completely before slicing or serving. This allows the flavors to fully develop and ensures that the texture of the cake is just right.
By following these tips, you will be able to create a delicious and perfectly baked pear coffee cake every time.
In conclusion, this pear coffee cake recipe is a definite must-try. The combination of sweet and nutty flavors with a hint of spiciness makes it an excellent treat for any time of the day. It’s also easy to make, even for beginners, and can be served as a dessert or with your morning coffee. The ingredients used in this recipe are easily accessible in your local grocery store or pantry.
Furthermore, if you’re looking to shake things up a bit, you can substitute some of the ingredients or add a variation to match your taste buds. You can opt for gluten-free flour or swap the pears for apples or canned pears. The possibilities are endless!
Overall, this delicious pear coffee cake recipe with its soft texture, crumbly topping and juicy pears will impress anyone who tries it. So why not give it a go and enjoy this unique dessert on your own or share it with friends and family during special occasions? Trust me; you won’t regret trying out this mouth-watering pear coffee cake recipe!
Pear Coffee Cake Recipe
- 2 -3 large pears (Anjou)
- 1 cup canol oil (or other neutral vegetable oil)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°; grease and flour a 10-inch round cake pan.
- Peel and core the pears and cut them into 1/2-inch dice; measure out 1 1/2 cups for this recipe.
- Place the oil, sugar, and eggs in a bowl; whisk until smooth.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, and ginger over the egg mixture.
- Fold a few times by hand with a rubber spatula.
- Toss the pears evenly over the mixture and gold together to mix evenly.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, rub walnuts, brown sugar, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon together until evenly mixed.
- Sprinkle over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, until a pick comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Carefully invert the cake onto a plate to unmold; place a small wire rack on top of the cake and invert again right side up.
- Let the cake cool for about 15 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You