Picture this: it’s a chilly morning, and you’re snuggled up in a cozy sweater, watching snowflakes fall outside your window. As you take a deep breath in, you smell the enticing aroma of coffee brewing in the kitchen. But not just any coffee – spiced ginger coffee, to be exact.
If you’re looking for something to warm you up from the inside out, I’ve got just the thing for you. This spiced ginger coffee recipe is perfect for those who love a little extra kick in their morning cup of joe. With hints of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and gingerbread spice, this coffee will transport you to a winter wonderland with every sip.
As a barista, I know that there are endless possibilities when it comes to making the perfect cup of coffee. However, with this recipe, I promise that you’ll have everything you need to make a deliciously spiced cup of coffee that will have your taste buds dancing.
So, whether you’re a coffee connoisseur or simply looking to switch up your daily routine, grab your favorite mug and get ready for a warm and spicy treat that’ll have you coming back for more.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re a coffee lover who is looking for something new and exciting to try, then you will surely love this Spiced Ginger Coffee Recipe. This is not just your regular coffee recipe, as it offers a unique twist of flavor that will awaken your taste buds and leave you wanting more.
One of the things that make this spiced coffee recipe remarkable is its combination of ingredients. The ground cinnamon, ginger, brown sugar, and molasses are blended together to create a unique spice mixture that’s perfect for coffee or any hot beverage. Together with the aromatic gingerbread spice mixture, the spices create a warm and cozy feeling inside your mouth.
This recipe also allows for versatility in terms of preparation. You can use any type of ground coffee; whether it’s instant or freshly grounded, the flavors will still blend perfectly. You can substitute milk with cream or almond milk to achieve a different taste based on your preference.
Aside from the yummy taste of this coffee recipe, you’ll appreciate its ease of preparation. With simple steps to follow, you can quickly have a unique coffee experience in no time. It only calls for basic kitchen tools such as a coffee grinder and mixing bowls.
Overall, this spiced ginger coffee recipe is an excellent pick-me-up beverage that will provide you with a boost of energy to start your day right or perk yourself up during an afternoon slump. It is an inexpensive and straightforward way to achieve a quality spiced latte without leaving your home. Once you take a sip of its rich flavor, indescribable comfort will envelop you like a blanket by the fireside.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make a delicious spiced ginger coffee:
- 1 cup ground coffee: Use any variety of ground coffee that you prefer. You can also use instant coffee if you don’t have fresh ground.
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon: This adds a warm and spicy flavor to the coffee.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger: The main flavor of this recipe, ginger adds a subtle sweetness and warmth to the coffee.
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg: Nutmeg adds a slightly sweet and nutty flavor.
- 1/4 tsp baking soda: Baking soda is used to neutralize the acid in the coffee, which makes it less bitter.
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar: This sweetens up the coffee and complements the spices well.
- 2 tablespoons molasses: Molasses is optional but highly recommended. It gives a deeper, richer flavor to the coffee.
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom: A complex spice with hints of citrus and mint, cardamom pairs wonderfully with ginger in this recipe.
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon cloves mixture: A blend of two classic spices, cinnamon cloves mix adds depth and complexity to the flavor profile.
For serving, you will also need:
- 1 cup milk: Use any type of milk that you enjoy. Whole milk or almond milk work well in this recipe.
- Hot brewed coffee (1-2 cups): Brew your favorite type of coffee as desired.
These ingredients make enough for 2 servings of spiced ginger coffee. Adjust amounts as needed for larger or smaller batches.
The Recipe How-To
Step 1: Make the Gingerbread Spice Mix
To make this spiced ginger coffee, start by preparing the gingerbread spice mix. In a small bowl, combine 1 teaspoon each of ground cinnamon and dried ginger, ½ teaspoon of ground nutmeg, and ¼ teaspoon each of ground cloves and ground cardamom. Mix well to combine and set aside.
Step 2: Brew the Coffee
Brew a strong cup of coffee using your preferred brewing method. For best results, use 1 heaping teaspoon of ground coffee per 1 cup of water. Alternatively, you can use instant coffee granules or prepare a shot of espresso.
Step 3: Add in the Spices
In a mug, add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, 2 teaspoons of molasses, and 2 teaspoons of the prepared gingerbread spice mix. Mix well to combine.
Step 4: Whisk in the Milk
In a separate saucepan, heat up 1 cup of milk until it starts to steam. Whisk constantly as you pour the warm milk into your mug with the spiced mixture.
Step 5: Serve and Enjoy!
Give your spiced ginger coffee a good stir and top it off with some whipped cream or marshmallows if desired. Sip and savor this hot beverage on a cold day!
Substitutions and Variations
As a barista, I understand that sometimes you may not have access to all the ingredients or you may want to switch things up a bit. Here are some substitutions and variations you can try for this spiced ginger coffee recipe.
– Milk: You can use any milk of your choice, such as almond, soy or oat milk. For a richer flavor, you can use coconut milk.
– Sweeteners: The recipe calls for brown sugar and molasses, but you can also use honey, maple syrup or agave nectar. Adjust the amount to your liking.
– Spice blend: The spice blend is what makes this coffee so special. If you don’t have all the spices listed in the recipe, you can still make a delicious spiced coffee with just cinnamon and ginger. You can also add nutmeg or cardamom for extra flavor.
– Coffee: You can use instant coffee instead of ground coffee if that’s what you have on hand. If you prefer a stronger coffee flavor, use dark roast instead of medium roast.
– Fresh ginger: If you have fresh ginger root, peel and grate about 1 tablespoon of it and add it to the spice mixture before brewing the coffee. This will give your coffee a fresher ginger flavor.
– Sukku coffee powder: Sukku coffee powder is a popular South Indian coffee blend made with dried ginger, black pepper and other spices. If you have access to it, you can use it instead of the spice blend in this recipe to make an Indian spiced ginger coffee.
– Gingerbread latte: Turn this spiced ginger coffee into a latte by adding frothed milk and ginger syrup on top. You can find recipes for homemade ginger syrup online.
Remember, these are just suggestions. Feel free to experiment and create your own version of this delicious spiced ginger coffee recipe.
Serving and Pairing
This spiced ginger coffee is a deliciously indulgent treat that is best enjoyed hot and fresh out of the coffee pot. Its warm, comforting aroma will make your taste buds tingle with excitement as you take your first sip. This coffee has a bold and robust flavour profile thanks to the warm and aromatic blend of spices used in the recipe.
To elevate the flavours of spiced ginger coffee, it’s recommended to serve it with a simple cookie or pastry that compliments the spicy aroma of the coffee. A cinnamon roll, gingerbread biscuit or a slice of apple pie would be an excellent option when pairing this recipe with something sweet. The added sweetness of these treats complements the warming spices used in the coffee to create a memorable and unforgettable flavour combination.
If you’re looking for something savoury to pair this coffee, then we recommend serving this brew with toasted bread and a spread like honey, cream cheese or butter. These spreads will add an extra layer of richness to your beverage and balance out the spiciness of it.
You could also experiment with adding some milk foam on top to create a frothy finish, this works brilliantly in creating an Instagram-worthy moment!
No matter how you choose to enjoy it, this spiced ginger coffee is sure to become your new favourite way to warm up your body and soul. It’s perfect for chilly mornings or nights spent curled up on the sofa with a good book or movie. So why not get creative and start cooking up this delicious recipe today?
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Once you have made spiced ginger coffee, you will want to know how to store it properly. This spiced coffee recipe can be made ahead of time, which is great news for busy mornings. It can also be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Simply store the coffee in a sealable container and let it cool completely before refrigerating. Whenever you need a quick pick-me-up, just reheat the desired amount of coffee on the stove, over medium heat or in the microwave until hot.
You can also freeze the spiced ginger coffee for longer storage. Just make sure to allow it to come to room temperature before pouring into a freezer-safe container and freezing it for up to two months. When ready to use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and warm up as you would reheat regular stored coffee.
For more variations, you can add a dollop of whipped cream, drizzle with some cinnamon syrup or make it into an iced version by simply pouring it over ice cubes.
With these simple tips and tricks, you’re all set to enjoy your spiced ginger coffee anytime of the day!
Tips for Perfect Results
To ensure that your spiced ginger coffee turns out perfectly every time, here are a few tips to keep in mind.
Firstly, use freshly ground ginger and cinnamon for the best flavor. You can grind whole dried ginger and cinnamon using a coffee grinder or a mortar and pestle.
Secondly, don’t overdo it on the spices. While the spices are the stars of the show in this recipe, too much can overwhelm the taste buds. Be sure to measure the spices precisely according to the recipe.
Thirdly, experiment with different types of milk to find your preference. Whole dairy milk, almond milk, coconut milk, and oat milk are all great options to try.
Fourthly, if you prefer a sweeter coffee, feel free to adjust the amount of brown sugar or molasses according to your liking. Remember though that both brown sugar and molasses have strong flavors and should be added sparingly.
Fifthly, it is important to use hot brewed coffee for this recipe rather than instant coffee. The fresh brewed coffee brings out the flavors of the spice mixture better than instant.
Lastly, consider adding a dash of ground nutmeg to your spice mixture or to garnish your finished drink for an added kick of warmth and depth of flavor.
As you prepare your spiced ginger coffee recipe, you may encounter some questions and concerns about the ingredients or process. To help you out, here are some frequently asked questions (FAQ) and their answers to give you a better understanding of this delicious coffee creation.
How do I add ginger to my coffee?
Want to add some excitement to your regular morning coffee routine? Try spicing up your java with ground ginger! Not only will it give your coffee a unique twist, but it can also provide some extra health benefits, including aiding in digestion. For an even more adventurous taste, give the Yemeni drink qishr a try!
How to make your own ginger spice?
To make ginger powder, grab your grain or coffee grinder, or your food processor or blender. Put in some dried ginger pulp or ginger slices into the grinder, and start grinding away until you get a fine powder. It’s a good idea to give it a sieve to filter out any bigger bits and grind them again for the perfect consistency.
Who makes gingerbread coffee?
Get ready to feel the frost and joy with Trader Joe’s Gingerbread Coffee. The blend consists of high-quality Arabica beans sourced from South America and undergoes a medium-dark Vienna roast. The aroma and taste are reminiscent of the wintertime, perfect for a cozy cup on a chilly day.
What are gingerbread spices?
To create the perfect gingerbread spice, you will need a blend of various ground spices. These can include cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves, and you can also choose to add some cardamom and/or coriander for a unique touch.
In conclusion, the spiced ginger coffee recipe is the perfect way to spice up your morning routine. With a rich combination of coffee and spices, this drink is sure to leave you feeling warm and satisfied. It’s also easy to make with ingredients that are likely already in your pantry. Whether you prefer a more traditional gingerbread flavor or something with extra spice, there are plenty of variations for you to try.
So why not give this recipe a try? Not only will it add some variety to your coffee routine, but it’s also a healthier alternative to sugary coffee drinks from cafes. Plus, the aroma of ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg will fill your kitchen and create an inviting atmosphere.
With the instructions I have provided, you no longer have an excuse not to try out this delicious spiced ginger coffee recipe. So grab those ingredients and start brewing! You’ll be amazed at how easy it is to create a homemade coffee drink that tastes just as good as any barista-made coffee.
Once you’ve mastered this recipe, feel free to experiment with different spices or milk alternatives for added flavor. And who knows? Maybe you’ll discover a signature drink that becomes a household favorite.
In short: give spiced ginger coffee a shot. You won’t regret it!
Spiced Ginger Coffee Recipe
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup hot coffee
- whipped cream
- ground cinnamon
- In a small bowl, combine the molasses, brown sugar, ginger, and cinnamon.
- For each serving, add 2 teaspoons molasses mixture in a mug; add 1 cup hot coffee; stir until combined.
- Serve with milk, whipped cream, and cinnamon, if desired.
- Cover and store remaining molasses mixture in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You