As the temperature drops, there’s nothing like a warm and freshly-baked scone to start your day on a cozy note. And what could possibly make it better? How about combining it with the rich aroma and flavor of coffee? That’s right, today I’ll be sharing with you an easy and delicious recipe for cinnamon coffee scones that will not only satisfy your sweet cravings but also give you a caffeine kick to power up your morning. Trust me, once you try out these delectable treats, they’ll become a staple in your baking routine all year round!
But hold up, I know some of you might be hesitant about trying out this recipe because of dietary restrictions or health concerns. However, fear not my friends! This recipe can easily be adjusted to fit your specific needs. Whether you’re gluten-free, diabetic, or trying to cut back on calorie intake by reducing sugar and fat content, I’ve got tips and substitutions for you. And that’s the beauty of making homemade scones- you control what goes in them and can tailor them to suit your preferences. So let’s get started on this cinnamon coffee scone journey together!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re a coffee lover and a fan of baked goods, then this cinnamon coffee scones recipe is going to be your new best friend. Trust me; once you try it, you’ll fall in love with it.
This recipe is perfect for those lazy Sunday mornings when all you want is to enjoy a cup of coffee and a warm, sweet pastry. These scones are the perfect balance of flavor, with just the right amount of cinnamon and coffee. You’ll love the subtle crunch from the pecans or walnuts and the sweet burst from the golden raisins- making this recipe’s taste tantalizing and unique.
One of the best things about these scones is that they’re easy to make. You don’t need to have any professional baking skills to get perfect results. With simple ingredients that are readily available in your kitchen, you can whip up a batch of deliciously tempting treats that will leave everyone asking for more.
Moreover, these scones come with variants, so you can experiment with different substitutions and additions, depending on your preference or dietary requirements. Whether you want gluten-free or low-carb options or simply want to switch up some flavors and textures, this recipe has got you covered.
In conclusion, these cinnamon coffee scones are a must-try if you wish to mix it up in the kitchen and enjoy something new and exciting without sacrificing simplicity or convenience. So go ahead! Open that oven door; take in the heavenly aroma, bake these babies up and take time to savor every bite while enjoying a warm cup of joe- trust me; your taste buds will thank you!
For the scones:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 1 tsp of finely ground coffee
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of baking soda
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup of milk or brewed coffee (for a stronger coffee flavor)
- 1 egg
- Optional: cinnamon chips, pecans, walnuts, golden raisins
For the cinnamon streusel:
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp (1/4 stick) of light margarine, cold and cut into small pieces
For the cinnamon glaze:
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp of milk or brewed coffee (for a stronger coffee flavor)
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
Note: If you prefer to use Splenda granular instead of sugar, replace it on a 1:1 ratio.
The Recipe How-To
Let’s start by mixing the dry ingredients which include self-rising flour, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon. In a large mixing bowl, add 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup of granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon and 2 teaspoons of baking powder. Whisk well until all the ingredients are incorporated.
Preparing the Wet Ingredients
In another medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk 1 large egg with 1/2 cup of light margarine until it becomes creamy. Add 3/4 cup of brewed coffee, 1 teaspoon of instant coffee granules, and 2 tablespoons of Splenda granular sugar substitute. Mix well until everything is combined.
Mixing the Dough
Add the prepared wet mix to the dry ingredients mixture and stir gently with a spatula until all ingredients are incorporated together. Don’t overmix it as we want our scones to be tender and light. Add 1/2 cup of golden raisins, pecans or walnuts to the mixture to give it an extra crunch and chewy texture.
Forming the Scone Shape
Generously flour your working surface and place your dough on it. Flatten it out into a round shape with a thickness of about 1-2 inches. Use a sharp knife or pastry cutter and cut your dough into desired triangle sizes or round shapes.
Baking the Scones
Line your baking sheet with parchment paper before you place your cut scones onto it. Generously sprinkle some cinnamon-sugar mixture on top for that sweet aroma and crunchy topping effect. Preheat your oven to 375°F (191°C), then bake for around 15-20 minutes or until they become golden brown.
Adding Cinnamon Glaze
Drizzle some homemade cinnamon glaze over your baked scones for that extra kick of sweetness. To prepare the glaze, simply mix together some powdered sugar and ground cinnamon with a small amount of milk or brewed coffee until it becomes runny. Dip the ends of your scones into the glaze before serving them.
Now you have an easy homemade cinnamon coffee scone recipe up your sleeve that is sure to impress anyone that tries them. Enjoy with a cup of freshly brewed coffee in the morning or as an afternoon snack with friends and family.
Substitutions and Variations
Are you feeling adventurous and wanting to switch things up a bit? Don’t be afraid to experiment with different ingredients and flavors in this recipe. Here are some substitutions and variations you can try:
– Gluten-free option: Substitute the regular self-rising flour with gluten-free self-rising flour for a delicious gluten-free version of these scones.
– Chocolate chip cinnamon scones: Mix in some chocolate chips instead of cinnamon chips or nuts for a sweet and indulgent treat that pairs perfectly with a cup of coffee.
– Coffee cake-style scones: Add some brown sugar, more cinnamon, and streusel topping to the mixture for an irresistible coffee cake-inspired twist on the classic cinnamon scone.
– Dried fruit: Throw in some dried cranberries or apricots to give your scones a fruity twist.
– Nut-free option: If you’re allergic to nuts, simply omit them from the recipe or replace them with an equal amount of your favorite seeds or dried fruit.
– Dairy-free option: Replace the milk and eggs with non-dairy alternatives like almond milk and flaxseeds for an equally delicious and satisfying result.
– Sugar-free option: Use Splenda granular instead of sugar to make these scones sugar-free without sacrificing on taste.
With so many variations to choose from, you can never get bored of making these cinnamon coffee scones. Get creative and have fun experimenting with different flavors and textures until you find your perfect combination!
Serving and Pairing
Once you have baked your delectable cinnamon coffee scones, it’s time to enjoy them with your favorite beverage. These scones pair perfectly with a hot cup of freshly brewed coffee or tea, highlighting the flavors of cinnamon and coffee that are simply irresistible.
For an extra indulgent experience, you can serve these scones with a dollop of whipped cream on top. The creamy texture and sweet taste of whipped cream complements the spicy cinnamon taste in the scones, creating a delightful balance of flavors.
Another great option is to serve these scones alongside a fruit salad or sliced fresh fruits such as apples, pears, or bananas. The tangy sweetness of the fruit provides a refreshing contrast to the rich and warming flavors of the scones.
You can also experiment with different toppings and spreads such as honey butter, strawberry jam, or even chocolate ganache to enhance the taste and texture of these irresistible pastries.
Whether you enjoy them for breakfast, brunch, or as an afternoon snack, these cinnamon coffee scones will undoubtedly satisfy your cravings for a tasty treat.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Making these delicious Cinnamon Coffee Scones ahead of time can be a time saver and a great way to enjoy them fresh. Once baked, they can be stored at room temperature for up to two days in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap.
To ensure the scones stay fresh, avoid refrigerating them as it can make them dry and tough. To reheat them, place the scones on a baking sheet and warm them in a preheated oven at 350°F for about 10 minutes. This will help restore their texture and give them a slightly crispy exterior.
If you have leftovers that you want to keep for longer, simply store them in the freezer. Once cooled, wrap them well with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to one month.
To reheat frozen scones, allow them to thaw overnight in the refrigerator or at room temperature for about an hour. Then, heat them up in the oven as described above.
It’s important to note that reheated scones will never be as good as freshly baked ones. So, if you have time, consider making a fresh batch instead!
Tips for Perfect Results
To achieve perfect results when making cinnamon coffee scones, follow these easy tips:
1. Cold Ingredients are a Must: When making the dough for the scones, make sure that your ingredients, especially the butter and milk or buttermilk, are cold. The colder the ingredients, the flakier and more tender your scones will turn out.
2. Don’t Overwork the Dough: Be gentle when mixing the dough ingredients together. Overworking will develop too much gluten, which will lead to tough scones.
3. Use Freshly Brewed Coffee: For the best flavor in your cinnamon coffee scones, use freshly brewed coffee. Instant coffee can alter the texture of your baked goods and may leave a slight aftertaste.
4. Adjust Flour Amount as Needed: Depending on humidity levels or other environmental factors, you may need to adjust the amount of flour used in the recipe. Add more flour a tablespoon at a time until you get the right consistency for your dough.
5. Use High-Quality Cinnamon Chips: The cinnamon chips are what give these scones their signature flavor. Opt for high-quality cinnamon chips for better taste and texture.
6. Chill Before Baking: After shaping your scones, chill them in the fridge for up to an hour before baking. This step helps keep their shape and prevent spreading during baking.
By following these tips, you can create perfectly tender and flavorful cinnamon coffee scones with ease. Enjoy a warm cup of coffee or tea with your homemade scones for an irresistible breakfast or snack!
In conclusion, these cinnamon coffee scones are a perfect addition to your morning routine. With their tender and moist texture, delightful cinnamon flavor, and crunchy pecans or walnuts, these scones will leave you feeling satisfied and energized. Plus, they are easy to make and can be stored for later enjoyment.
So why not give this recipe a try? Impress your family and friends with homemade scones that are sure to please. Whether you pair them with a hot cup of coffee or enjoy them on their own, these cinnamon coffee scones are an excellent choice for any occasion.
As a barista, I highly recommend trying out this recipe. Not only is it delicious, but it is also a creative way to incorporate coffee into your baked goods. So get baking and enjoy a warm cinnamon scone with your next cup of coffee!
Cinnamon Coffee Scones Recipe
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons Splenda granular, sugar substitute
- 3/4 cup light margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup golden raisins or 1/2 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or 1/2 cup walnuts
- milk, for toppings (optional)
- sugar, for toppings (optional)
- Stir together the flour, cinnamon, and Splenda.
- Cut the margarine into tablespoon pieces and blend with the pastry blender or two knives into the dry mixture (margarine pieces should be the size of small peas.).
- Mix together the eggs, coffee, and milk.
- Stir into the dry mixture to form a soft dough.
- Stir in the fruit and nuts.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board and gently pat into a circle of dough about 1/2" thick.
- Cut out rounds with floured biscuit cutter and place them on a greased baking sheet.
- Gently brush tops with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in a preheated 400° F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You