Do you love the classic combination of peanut butter and jelly? How about coffee cake? Well, get ready to have your taste buds blown away, because we’ve combined the two to create a delicious and indulgent Peanut Butter & Jam Coffee Cake recipe.
This recipe is perfect for breakfast or dessert, with its moist and tender crumb topped with a sweet and tangy jam crumble. If you’re a fan of British coffee cakes or crumb cakes, then this recipe will quickly become your new favorite.
But why settle for just any coffee cake when you can have one that brings together the classic flavors of peanut butter and jelly? The creamy peanut butter throughout the cake gets perfectly balanced out by the sweet jam crumble on top, creating a flavor explosion in every bite.
Whether you’re gluten-free or vegan, this Peanut Butter & Jam Coffee Cake recipe can be easily adapted to accommodate any dietary restrictions. So what are you waiting for? Grab your apron and let’s get baking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you a fan of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? Do you also love coffee cake? Then this Peanut Butter & Jam Coffee Cake recipe is the perfect combination for you!
This delectable coffee cake has a rich, buttery flavor that gets compounded with the taste of creamy and nutty peanut butter. And if that’s not enough, there’s an indulgent layer of blueberry preserves or jelly adds its own fruity sweetness to create a delightful contrast.
Peanut butter and jam are a classic flavor combination that is adored by both young and old. Adding these two ingredients to your coffee cake recipe will leave your taste buds dancing with joy. Each bite is a perfect blend of creamy, nutty, and fruity flavors that come together in pure bliss.
But wait, there’s more! This recipe is easy to make and requires only basic pantry staples such as flour, eggs, unsalted butter, dark brown sugar, water, skim milk, ginger, salt, and of course peanut butter and jam. Moreover, the flexibility to add your favorite type of jam or jelly adds customization and variation.
So take your morning cuppa Joe to the next level by trying this fantastic Peanut Butter & Jam Coffee Cake recipe. Trust me; once you try it, there’s no going back. Don’t take my word for it—try it yourself and experience a new level of culinary bliss!
To make this delicious Peanut Butter & Jam Coffee Cake Recipe, you’ll need to gather the following ingredients:
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
For the streusel topping, you’ll need:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
To finish off your tasty Peanut Butter & Jam Coffee Cake, you’ll need:
- Peanut butter and jelly of your choice. We love peanut butter and blueberry preserves or jelly crumb cake for this recipe!
The Recipe How-To
Step 1: Preheat Your Oven
Preheat your oven to 350°F. While you are waiting for it to preheat, take a few minutes to prepare the baking dish – lightly coat it with cooking spray.
Step 2: Combine Dry Ingredients and Butter
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, dark brown sugar, ginger, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut in unsalted butter until you get a crumbly texture.
Step 3: Combine Wet Ingredients and Peanut Butter
In another mixing bowl, stir skim milk, egg, peanut butter until fully combined. Add this wet mixture to the dry ingredients mixture you just made and mix until fully combined.
Step 4: Prepare Jelly Layer
In another small mixing bowl, whisk together jam or jelly and water until smooth.
Step 5: Assemble Cake Layers and Jelly Topping
Pour half of the cake batter into an 8-inch square baking dish. Then add half of the jelly mixture over the top with a spoon using small teaspoonfuls across the surface. Use a knife to swirl the layers together. Repeat with remaining batter and jelly mixture.
Step 6: Create Streusel Topping
In another small mixing bowl, whisk together flour, dark brown sugar and unsalted butter till it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over the cake batter in the prepared baking dish.
Step 7: Bake It!
Bake in preheated oven for around 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove the baking dish from oven and let it cool for around 10 minutes before serving warm or at room temperature.
Enjoy your delicious Peanut Butter & Jam Coffee Cake!
Substitutions and Variations
If you’re feeling adventurous and want to try something different or don’t have all the ingredients on hand, there are a few substitutions and variations you could try.
– Flour: You can substitute all-purpose flour with 1:1 baking flour or whole wheat flour.
– Peanut Butter: If you or someone you know has a peanut allergy, sunflower seed butter, almond butter or cashew butter could be used as a substitute.
– Skim Milk: Unsweetened almond milk, soy milk or oat milk can be substituted for skim milk.
– Dark Brown Sugar: Light brown sugar or granulated sugar can be substituted.
– Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake: Swap out the jam for chocolate chips and drizzle chocolate sauce on top of the streusel topping.
– Blueberry Preserves Cake: Swap out the jam for blueberry preserves or any other fruit preserves you prefer.
– Vegan Peanut Butter Coffee Cake: Use plant-based butter instead of unsalted butter, vegan cream cheese instead of cream cheese and flaxseed meal mixed with water instead of eggs.
– PB & J Poke Cake: After baking the cake, poke holes in it with a fork and pour jelly into the holes. Top the cake with peanut butter frosting.
– Jelly Crumble Breakfast Cake: Add oats to the streusel topping mixture for an extra crunch.
Don’t be afraid to try something new and make this recipe your own!
Serving and Pairing
This peanut butter and jam coffee cake is perfect for breakfast, brunch, or a mid-day snack. The soft, crumbly cake pairs perfectly with a hot cup of British coffee or even a rich butter coffee.
For those who love peanut butter and jelly, this cake will be an absolute delight – the flavors are reminiscent of a classic PB&J sandwich. But don’t let that limit you! This coffee cake is also delicious when paired with other spreads like blueberry preserves or even a chocolate peanut butter spread.
When serving, slice the cake into elegant square shapes and add a dollop of whipped cream on top. Or serve it family style and let everyone dig in. Whatever your style is, this cake is undeniably scrumptious.
If you’re looking for something more adventurous to pair with your peanut butter and jam coffee cake, why not try baking your own homemade granola? The nutty flavors in the granola blend well with the nutty flavor of this coffee cake.
However you choose to serve this peanut butter and jam coffee cake, it’s sure to please!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This peanut butter and jam coffee cake recipe can be made ahead and stored for later enjoyment. The cake can be baked and stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to two days.
For longer storage, the cake can be frozen for up to three months. Be sure to wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and store in a freezer-safe container. When you’re ready to enjoy the cake, simply thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then allow it to come to room temperature before serving.
To reheat the cake, preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and place the cake on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until it’s heated through.
This peanut butter and jam coffee cake is perfect with a cup of coffee or tea for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. With its delicious combination of flavors, make-ahead preparation, and easy reheating instructions, you can enjoy this moist and flavorful cake whenever you want it!
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to making a coffee cake, we want the texture to be moist and tender with a light crumb. Here are some tips that you can follow to make sure your Peanut Butter & Jam Coffee Cake turns out perfectly every time:
1. Be precise with your measurements: While baking, being precise with your measurements is essential to ensure that the recipe turns out perfectly. Even a small error in measurement can drastically affect the texture and taste of the final product.
2. Use room temperature ingredients: Room temperature ingredients blend well with each other and incorporate air more easily. This results in a lighter, fluffier texture of the cake.
3. Preheat your oven: Before you start baking, make sure your oven is preheated according to the recipe’s instructions. A preheated oven is necessary to ensure even baking and prevent under or overcooking.
4. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy: During the initial stage of mixing sugar and butter, keep mixing for a few minutes till it becomes light and fluffy. The trapped air provides lift to the cake, which contributes to its lightness.
5. Do not overmix: Mixing dry ingredients till it is just combined prevents gluten development that can make the cake heavy.
6. Experiment with variations: Though this recipe calls for peanut butter and jam, feel free to experiment with different fillings such as Nutella, chocolate chips or blueberry preserves.
By following these tips, you can make sure your Peanut Butter & Jam Coffee Cake turns out perfect every time!
Now that you have all the information on how to make this delicious peanut butter and jam coffee cake, you might have a few questions. In this section, I will provide answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this recipe. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or a novice, these answers will help ensure your cake turns out perfectly every time. So let’s dive into the FAQ section!
What makes coffee cake different from cake?
Coffee cakes are quite distinct from ordinary cakes due to their unique topping made of streusel, which distinguishes them, and due to the absence of frosting. Instead of frosting, there is often a thin layer of glaze on top of the cake. Coffee cakes may also incorporate a filling of nuts, chocolate, or fruit or contain a swirl of streusel in them.
What is the difference between American and British coffee cake?
There are two types of coffee cakes – one is a cake flavored with coffee, while the other is a type of cake commonly enjoyed while sipping coffee.
Do coffee and peanut butter go together?
Incorporating peanut butter into your coffee can add a scrumptious nutty taste. With the help of coconut oil and peanut butter’s natural fats, your coffee can have an exemplary creaminess that will tantalize your taste buds.
What jelly is best with peanut butter?
When it comes to nut butter sandwiches, most people prefer grape jelly as the fruit spread. However, there are several other options that could be equally delicious (if not more), such as strawberry, raspberry, red plum jam, mango, blackberry, blueberry, and boysenberry.
In conclusion, this Peanut Butter & Jam Coffee Cake Recipe is a must-try for all coffee and cake lovers out there. With its perfect balance of flavors and textures, it’s sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and caffeine fix at the same time. Not only is this recipe easy to make, but it’s also versatile enough to accommodate different variations and substitutions based on your preferences or dietary requirements.
So what are you waiting for? Grab your apron, preheat your oven, and get ready to indulge in a slice of the best peanut butter and jam coffee cake you’ll ever taste. Whether you’re enjoying it with a cup of British coffee or a vegan peanut butter latte, this cake is sure to bring a smile to your face and warm your soul with every bite. Don’t just take my word for it – give it a try yourself and see why it’s worth sharing with your family, friends, or even coworkers. Trust me, they will thank you for it!
Peanut Butter & Jam Coffee Cake Recipe
- 3 cups flour, divided
- 1 package yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground ginger
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons no-sugar-added peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons flour, divided
- oil or cooking spray
- 3/4 cup sugar-free strawberry jam (or preferred flavor)
- chopped nuts (optional)
- Combine 2 cups flour, yeast, salt and 1/2 teaspoon ginger in large bowl; stir well and set aside.
- Combine skim milk and next 4 ingredients in medium saucepan; cook over medium heat until very warm (but not scalded), and remove from heat.
- Gradually add milk mixture to flour mixture, beating at medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Add egg, and continue beating an additional 3 minutes.
- Add enough of remaining flour to make a soft dough, and turn out onto lightly floured work surface.
- Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, adding up to 2 tablespoons of flour as necessary.
- Place dough in large oiled bowl, turning once to coat.
- Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down; cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Place dough on lightly floured work surface (adding remaining 1 tablespoon flour as necessary), and roll into 22X12-inch rectangle.
- Combine jam and remaining 1/4 teaspoon ginger; spread over rectangle, leaving about 1 inch margin around sides.
- If desired, add nuts.
- Roll up jellyroll style, starting at long side.
- Pinch down ends and seams to seal.
- Place seamside down in a 9-inch round cakepan coated with cooking spray: begin at outer edges, spiraling in to center of pan.
- Cover and let rise until again doubled in bulk (about 30 minutes).
- Bake at 350-degrees for 35 minutes.
- Cover with foil for last 15 minutes if necessary to prevent excessive browning.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes, remove, and cool on wire rack.
Add Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You