Attention coffee lovers! Do you enjoy savoring the rich aroma and robust taste of a classic cup of coffee? If so, then you are in for a real treat. I am here to introduce you to a delectable coffee dessert that will blow your mind: Coffee Cupcakes Recipe.
Picture it: moist and fluffy vanilla cupcakes that are infused with the bold flavors of instant coffee, topped with silky mocha buttercream frosting and a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top. Sounds like the perfect way to satisfy your coffee cravings, doesn’t it?
But, why settle for a basic cupcake when you can elevate it with the aromatic richness and tangy zest of coffee? This recipe puts an exciting spin on traditional dessert fare while indulging your love for java in sweet form.
Trust me; once you try these aromatic cups of heaven, you won’t go back to plain cupcakes! So grab your apron, brew some fresh coffee, and let’s get baking. The recipe is easy to follow and guaranteed to make your taste buds sing.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you a coffee lover? If so, you’ll absolutely adore these coffee cupcakes. This recipe is perfect for all coffee addicts out there looking for a sweet and delicious treat that incorporates their favorite drink.
Not only are these cupcakes flavorful and moist, but they’re also incredibly versatile. You can pair them with a variety of frostings to suit your taste buds, including mocha buttercream, silky coffee, chocolate chip, raspberry, salted caramel, fudge, cherry, peanut butter frosting, cream cheese frosting or basic chocolate buttercream. With so many options to choose from, you can make these cupcakes again and again without ever getting bored.
Plus, this recipe includes ingredients that are likely already in your kitchen pantry. From instant coffee granules to flour and vanilla extract to sugar, this recipe uses common baking staples. The process is simple too and doesn’t require any fancy technique or equipment.
So whether you’re making them for a special occasion or just as a pick-me-up treat during the week, these coffee cupcakes are guaranteed to impress your friends and family. They’re also great for parties or as a gift for the coffee lover in your life.
Get ready to indulge in a deliciously moist and flavorful cupcake that perfectly captures the essence of your favorite morning drink. Once you try these mouth-watering cupcakes, you’ll be convinced that this recipe is one that you will make time and time again. Trust me; you don’t want to miss out on this amazing recipe!
Here are the ingredients needed to make coffee cupcakes with mocha buttercream and coffee cupcakes with coffee buttercream:
- For the coffee cupcakes (1 cup yields about 12 cupcakes):
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tbsp instant coffee granules
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla extract
For the mocha buttercream:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbsp instant espresso powder or instant coffee granules
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup whole milk
For the coffee buttercream:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp instant coffee granules dissolved in boiling water (use less water than package instructions)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Note that you can adjust some of the ingredients according to your taste preferences. Ensure that you have all these ingredients before proceeding with the recipe.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have all the ingredients for our delicious Coffee Cupcakes Recipe, it’s time to put everything together! Follow these simple steps to make your coffee cupcakes:
Step 1: Make the Coffee
In a bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons of instant coffee granules and boiling water until the instant coffee has dissolved completely. Let the mixture cool.
Step 2: Prepare the Batter
In a mixing bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add in eggs, vegetable oil, low-fat buttermilk, cooled coffee mixture, and vanilla extract. Beat altogether using an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
Step 3: Bake the Cupcakes
Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour the batter into cupcake liners halfway full. Bake for about 16-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Step 4: Create the Buttercream Frosting
In another mixing bowl, beat butter, some instant espresso powder, and vanilla extract until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl incorporate unsweetened cocoa powder and beat it into the mixture.
Step 5: Assemble
Pipe or spread buttercream onto cupcakes using a piping bag or a knife. Place chocolate chips had been melted that can be sprinkled over cakes.
Once you’ve finished following each step, your delicious Coffee Cupcakes Recipe should be ready to serve! Enjoy these moist and flavorful cupcakes as is, or pair with a hot cup of coffee for an extra boost to your day!
Substitutions and Variations
Are you looking to make some adjustments to this coffee cupcakes recipe? No worries, here are some of the best substitutions and variations that you can try out:
– Vegan: If you’re looking to make a vegan version of these coffee cupcakes, you can replace the eggs with an egg substitute such as applesauce or flax eggs. Also, swap out the low-fat buttermilk for plant-based milk such as soy milk or almond milk. Lastly, use vegan butter instead of unsalted butter and skip the mocha buttercream.
– Gluten-Free: To make these cupcakes gluten-free, just swap out the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend. You can also use self-rising flour instead of all-purpose flour for less measurement.
– Espresso Cupcakes: Want to up your coffee game even more? Replace the instant coffee granules in the cupcake batter with instant espresso granules. This will give you a more intense and rich coffee flavor.
– Chocolate Chip Coffee Cupcakes: Why not add some chocolate chips into the batter for extra texture and chocolaty goodness? About half a cup would do great.
– Raspberry Coffee Cupcakes: For a fruity twist, fill each cupcake with raspberry jam before baking for an amazing burst of flavors.
– Salted Caramel Coffee Cupcakes: Drizzle some salted caramel sauce over your mocha buttercream frosting for a sweet-salty kick on top.
These are just some ideas to try out! Don’t be afraid to mix and match to develop your own delicious variation of this recipe.
Serving and Pairing
Once your coffee cupcakes have been baked to perfection, it’s time to serve and enjoy them! These delicious treats are perfect for any time of day, whether it be breakfast, snack time, or as a dessert after dinner. To showcase the mocha flavor, I recommend pairing these cupcakes with a nice hot cup of coffee, espresso, or even a latte.
For an extra special touch, you can add a dollop of whipped cream on top of each cupcake and sprinkle some instant coffee or cocoa powder on top. The silky texture of the whipped cream pairs perfectly with the moist coffee cake.
If you’re looking for something a little more decadent, try making a mocha buttercream frosting to top your cupcakes with. This rich and creamy frosting will bring out the chocolate and coffee flavors in the cake and create a truly indulgent treat.
For those who prefer a lighter dessert, you can experiment with different fruit toppings or fillings such as raspberry jam or cherry compote. Chocolate chip frosting is also a delicious option for those who want to add an extra layer of sweetness to their cupcakes.
Overall, these coffee cupcakes are incredibly versatile and can be served with a variety of beverages and toppings to suit everyone’s taste buds. So go ahead, get creative and have fun enjoying this delicious recipe!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Making a batch of coffee cupcakes ahead of time can save you precious minutes when preparing for events or quick snack time treats. The good news is that these cupcakes can be made ahead and stored without losing their delicious taste and texture.
To make these cupcakes ahead of time, simply follow the instructions to mix up the batter and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days before baking. When ready to bake, simply preheat your oven, fill your cupcake liners with the batter and bake as directed in the recipe.
Storing your coffee cupcakes is not a problem at all. After baking, let them cool completely before transferring them into an airtight container. You can store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If you want to freeze them, wrap each cupcake individually with plastic wrap and then store them in freezer-safe bags. They will last up to 2 months in the freezer.
Whenever you’re ready to serve your cupcakes, simply thaw them in the refrigerator overnight before serving. They will retain their moisture and freshness even after freezing.
Reheating your cupcakes is also easy! If they’ve been refrigerated or frozen, let them come to room temperature before heating up. Place them in a warm oven (around 350°F) for 10-12 minutes or until heated through. This will give them that freshly baked taste again!
In conclusion, making a batch of coffee cupcakes can be convenient as well as satisfying. With these storage methods, you’ll always have a treat ready for yourself or your guests without compromising on taste and freshness!
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you have all the necessary information to bake delicious coffee cupcakes, allow me to provide you with some tips to make sure your cupcakes turn out perfectly every time.
Firstly, make sure all ingredients are at room temperature before starting. When ingredients like butter and eggs are at room temperature, they emulsify better which results in a smoother batter.
Secondly, when measuring flour, use the “sprinkle and sweep” method. This method involves fluffing up the flour, sprinkling it into the measuring cup, and then sweeping off the excess with a knife. Using too much flour can result in dry and dense cupcakes.
Thirdly, do not overmix the batter. Overmixing can cause gluten strands to form resulting in a tough texture. Mix just until everything is combined.
Fourthly, use good quality coffee granules to get a strong coffee flavor in the cupcakes. Instant espresso powder or instant coffee granules work well and dissolve easily.
Fifthly, for added moisture and richness in the cupcakes, substitute the vegetable oil with melted butter. The taste and texture of the cupcakes will be more decadent and indulgent.
Finally, let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting them. Room temperature cupcakes ensure that the frosting doesn’t slide off or melt on top.
By following these tips, you’ll be sure to yield delicious coffee cupcakes every single time.
I hope you’re as excited as I am about trying out this coffee cupcakes recipe! It’s a great option for dessert or to enjoy with your morning coffee, and with so many possible variations, you’ll never get bored.
Don’t be intimidated by the list of ingredients or steps — baking is truly an art that anyone can master with practice, patience, and persistence. Plus, the outcome is always worth it.
Whether you want to make mocha buttercream cupcakes, silky coffee cupcakes, or espresso cupcakes with chocolate buttercream, the key to success is to have fun and experiment. Try different flavor combinations and decorations, and don’t forget to share your creations with others.
If you have any questions or feedback on this recipe, or if you want to suggest other coffee-related recipes you’d like me to cover in the future, please feel free to reach out. And if you enjoyed this article, please share it with your friends and family who might also enjoy it.
Thank you for reading and happy baking!
Coffee Cupcakes Recipe
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 4 teaspoons instant espresso granules or 8 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso granules or 1/4 cup instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare cupcakes, combine 2 tablespoons boiling water and 4 teaspoons espresso, stirring until espresso dissolves. Stir in buttermilk.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring well with a whisk.
- Place 3/4 cup granulated sugar, butter, and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups lined with paper liners. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan.
- To prepare syrup, combine 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup water, 2 tablespoons espresso, corn syrup, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 3 minutes. Pierce the cupcake tops several times with a wooden skewer. Brush espresso syrup evenly over the cupcakes. Cool completely on wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.