If you’re a coffee lover and a fan of buttery, crumbly desserts, then this recipe is definitely for you. I’m excited to introduce you to my all-time favorite dessert: Butter Coffee Cake. This recipe will take your taste buds on an unforgettable journey, bringing together the rich aroma of coffee with the nutty flavor of brown butter and the sweet, cinnamon-spiced crumb topping.
This recipe is perfect for those who love to indulge in a sweet treat during a lazy afternoon or as an after-dinner dessert to share with your loved ones. The preparation of this cake is incredibly easy and requires only a few ingredients that are likely already sitting in your pantry.
Get ready to impress your friends and family with this decadent Butter Coffee Cake. Regardless if you’re an experienced baker or if it’s your first time making a cake, the recipe is foolproof, and I guarantee that you will love the flavors and textures in every bite. So let’s get started!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This butter coffee cake recipe is the perfect treat for breakfast, brunch, or any occasion where you want to impress your guests with a delicious dessert. There are several reasons why you’ll love this recipe, so buckle up and let me persuade you.
Firstly, this cake is incredibly buttery and moist. The crumb is light and fluffy, while the topping is crunchy and crumbly – creating an irresistible texture combination that will have you craving for more. The buttery aroma alone will make your taste buds dance with excitement as the cake comes out of the oven.
Secondly, this classic coffee cake recipe has a touch of apple in it that adds a fruity twist to the traditional flavor profile. This subtly sweet addition perfectly complements the cinnamon and sugar notes in the crumb topping, creating a harmonious blend of flavors. Plus, if you’re a fan of apple butter, this recipe includes it in the streusel for an extra oomph!
Thirdly, this recipe is incredibly easy to follow with common household ingredients. You won’t need any fancy or exotic ingredients – just flour, sugar, butter, eggs, cinnamon and a few other pantry staples. This makes it perfect for busy mornings when you want to whip up something delicious but don’t have time to run to the grocery store.
Finally, this recipe is highly versatile. Not only can it be served as a dessert or breakfast treat, but you can also customize it to fit your personal taste preferences. For instance, you can switch up the streusel topping with peanut butter or cookie butter instead of plain butter – the possibilities are endless!
In conclusion, you’ll love this butter coffee cake recipe because of its dreamy texture combination, fruity twist of apple, ease of preparation with everyday ingredients and adaptability to customize according to personal preference. So grab your apron and give it a try!
To make this butter coffee cake recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- ½ tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup of granulated sugar (divided)
- 1 cup of unsalted butter, room temperature (divided)
- ½ cup of melted butter (for the crumb topping)
- 1 cup of brown sugar (for the crumb topping)
- 2 cups of flour (for the crumb topping)
- 1 tsp of cinnamon (for the crumb topping)
- 8 tbsp of peanut butter or cookie butter (optional, for the crumb topping)
Note: You can also use apple butter in place of some or all of the regular butter to add a fruity flavor to your coffee cake. Also, feel free to adjust the amount of cinnamon to taste.
The Recipe How-To
Step 1: Preheat the oven and prepare the pan
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan with butter or cooking spray.
Step 2: Make the crumb topping
In a small bowl, combine 1 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter. Use a fork or pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Step 3: Make the cake batter
In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda. In a separate large bowl, cream together 1 cup of butter and 2 cups of granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add in 2 large eggs and 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract, beating well after each addition. Gradually mix in the flour mixture, alternating with 1 cup of sour cream, until everything is just combined.
Step 4: Assemble the cake
Spread half of the batter in your prepared pan. Top with half of the crumb mixture, followed by another layer of batter, and finish with the remaining crumb mixture.
Step 5: Bake the cake
Bake for about 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Step 6: Cool and serve
Allow the cake to cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving. You can enjoy this butter coffee cake warm or at room temperature. It pairs perfectly with a cup of coffee or tea.
Enjoy your delicious homemade Butter Coffee Cake!
Substitutions and Variations
There are numerous ways to modify this butter coffee cake recipe to make it your own. You can add different spices or swap out some of the ingredients with alternatives that you have on hand. Here are a few substitutions and variations to consider:
– Apples: Instead of using apples, try substituting pears or peaches, depending on what is in season.
– Sugar: Swap out the granulated sugar for brown sugar or try using coconut sugar for a healthier alternative.
– Flour: Use a gluten-free flour blend instead of all-purpose flour to make this cake gluten-free. Almond flour or coconut flour could also be used, but keep in mind that the texture will be different.
– Streusel Topping: Create a peanut butter streusel by mixing 1/4 cup of peanut butter into the streusel topping mixture. Or use cookie butter instead of peanut butter for a unique flavor!
– Vegan: To make this recipe vegan, replace eggs with flax eggs (mix 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons water as a substitute for each egg) and use vegan butter or coconut oil instead of unsalted butter.
– Chocolate coffee cake: Add cocoa powder (about 1/4 cup) to the mix and replace the vanilla extract with chocolate extract to make a decadent chocolate coffee cake.
– Cinnamon coffee cake: For an extra cinnamon flavor, add 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the batter, plus 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to the streusel topping mixture. This modification will transform this recipe into a cinnamon-y delight!
The possibilities are endless when it comes to substitutions and variations in this butter coffee cake recipe! Have fun experimenting with different flavors and ingredients to create your perfect version of this moist and delicious crumbly cake.
Serving and Pairing
There’s nothing like the delicious aroma of freshly baked coffee cake wafting through your kitchen! The buttery crumb topping and gooey, cinnamon-spiced filling of this butter coffee cake make it an excellent morning, afternoon or dessert treat.
Serve it warm for a comforting breakfast or with a dollop of fresh whipped cream and a steaming cup of joe for an indulgent mid-day dessert. This coffee cake is perfect at any time of day!
Pair this delightful cake with your favourite coffee for a classic combination that will never disappoint. You might also consider pairing it with apple butter, as the sweet tanginess of the apple butter complements the rich and buttery flavor of the cake.
You can also get creative with toppings and serve this crumb cake topped with sliced apples for an added crunch or drizzle peanut butter over it for decadence. The possibilities are endless!
This coffee sponge cake is so versatile that you can also make it ahead for parties or events! It stores well in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days or in the fridge for up to a week. Simply reheat it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to restore its warm and buttery flavor.
No matter how you choose to serve or pair it, this must-try butter coffee cake will have everyone coming back for more!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This butter coffee cake recipe can be made ahead of time and stored for later use. To make-ahead, bake the cake as directed and let it cool completely to room temperature. Once cooled, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and foil to preserve moisture. Store in the refrigerator for up to three days or in the freezer for up to three months.
When it’s time to reheat, there are a few options. If you have time, let the cake come to room temperature on the counter before reheating in the oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes until warm. You can also reheat individual slices in the microwave for 30 seconds or in a toaster oven until warm and crispy.
If storing the crumb topping separately, store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two days or in the freezer for up to three months. To reheat, preheat your oven to 350°F and spread out the crumb topping on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 5-10 minutes until crispy and lightly browned.
A note on storing butter coffee cake with apple: If using fresh apples, we recommend storing this cake covered in a cool place, rather than refrigerating it. Apples can give off moisture, which may cause the cake to become soggy if left in the fridge. If you do choose to refrigerate the cake with fresh apples, be sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and foil to prevent any moisture from seeping into the cake.
With these tips, your butter coffee cake will maintain its delicious taste even after being stored for later use or reheated for serving. Enjoy every bite of this delectable dessert!
Tips for Perfect Results
To achieve the perfect butter coffee cake, it’s important to pay attention to the details of the recipe. Here are some tips that will ensure that your cake comes out just as delicious as you imagined.
– Room Temperature Ingredients: Make sure that your eggs and butter are both at room temperature before starting. This will ensure that everything combines evenly and will lead to a better texture in your cake.
– Pass through flour: To avoid lumps of flour in your batter, sift the flour before measuring it. Passing through flour also aerates it, which leads to a lighter, fluffier cake.
– Browned Butter: For an extra depth of flavor, brown the butter you’re using for the crumb topping. It takes a bit longer but adds an incredible nutty flavor to the buttery crumb topping.
– Even Topping: When adding the crumb topping, make sure it’s even across the top of the cake. This will help with even baking and give you beautiful golden-colored crumbs on top.
– Don’t Overmix Batter: Be careful not to overmix your batter once you have added dry ingredients or too much air will be incorporated, leading to a dense cake.
– Baking times may vary: Keep an eye on your cake, and start checking it about five minutes earlier than suggested or until inserting a toothpick near the center comes out clean.
– Let it Cool: After baking, let your cake cool before serving. Warm cakes can be fragile and difficult to cut cleanly. It also allows flavors to settle and intensify.
By following these tips, you can achieve perfect results with this delicious butter coffee cake recipe!
In conclusion, the butter coffee cake recipe is a must-try for coffee and cake lovers. This recipe brings together the perfect balance of flavors with a rich, buttery crumb topping and moist cake base that’s infused with a delicious coffee flavor. Additionally, the availability of substitutions and variations make it a versatile and fun recipe to play around with to suit different tastes.
Whether you’re looking to serve it as a dessert or a breakfast treat, this recipe is easy to follow and can be made ahead, stored, and reheated conveniently. So why not indulge in this delightful culinary experience? Get creative with your ingredients and try out the different variations for delicious results. With all of these benefits, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t give this recipe a go.
So go ahead—grab some flour, butter, sugar, cinnamon, apple butter, and of course some coffee—and get baking. You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to make this scrumptious butter coffee cake recipe that will have everyone asking for seconds. Trust us, once you try it, there’s no turning back!
Butter Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1 -2 apple
- cinnamon-sugar mixture
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup flour
- vanilla, a few drops
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Beat well.
- Mix baking powder and soda. Gradually add this mixture.
- Pour half of batter in a greased and floured pan.
- Cover with a layer of apples.
- Add half of strudel.
- Add the rest of batter.
- Top with remaining strudel.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.