Welcome to the world of scrumptious desserts! I am a barista and today, I want to share with you an amazing coffee cake recipe that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth cravings. Brace yourself for the tantalizing chocolate-banana combo that will leave you wanting more.
This chocolate-banana coffee cake is perfect for those who are looking for something indulgent yet easy to bake. From novice bakers to experienced ones, this recipe is a great choice to impress your loved ones with minimal effort.
As a barista, I love my coffee and this cake pairs perfectly with some freshly brewed coffee or tea. Imagine taking a bite of the moist banana bread combined with chocolate chips and the crumbly cinnamon streusel topping, while sipping on your favorite beverage. It’s pure heaven!
So let’s dive into this recipe and get ready to satisfy your cravings with every irresistible bite.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Fancy a dessert that will leave your taste buds craving for more? Look no further, my friend. This Chocolate-Banana Coffee Cake is a match made in heaven! The combination of rich chocolate, sweet bananas, and aromatic coffee will make every bite feel like a warm, comforting hug.
If you’re a fan of moist, decadent cakes with a crumbly topping, then this cake is right up your alley. The cake’s batter is made with ripe bananas, adding natural sweetness and moisture to the cake. The addition of semisweet chocolate chips gives the cake its perfect texture and depth of flavor.
But what truly sets this cake apart is the streusel topping. Made with brown sugar, cinnamon, chopped walnuts, and semisweet chocolate chips, the streusel adds an irresistible crunch to the cake’s soft interior. When baked, the streusel melts into the cake, creating swirls of rich chocolate and nutty goodness.
To take this recipe to the next level, you can also add a cream cheese filling or drizzle salted caramel sauce on top – trust me; it’s incredible!
So whether you’re looking for a sweet treat to accompany your morning cup of joe or serve as an indulgent after-dinner dessert, this Chocolate-Banana Coffee Cake is sure to impress any guest. So go ahead and give it a try – your taste buds (and stomach) will thank you!
Here is a list of ingredients you will need to make this delicious chocolate-banana coffee cake. Make sure to check them beforehand so that you have everything ready!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (240 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar (150 grams)
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips (120 grams)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted (113 grams)
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium bananas)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (150 grams)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (60 ml)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (60 grams)
- 1/2 cup packed golden brown sugar (100 grams)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled (56 grams)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Cream Cheese Icing:
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened (84 grams)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (85 grams)
- 1 tablespoon milk or heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 – 1.5 cups powdered sugar
Note: For best results, measure and weigh your ingredients accurately.
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s get to the fun part – baking this delicious Chocolate-Banana Coffee Cake Recipe! Make sure you have all of the ingredients and equipment ready before you start.
Step 1: Preheat the oven and prepare the pan
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9-inch square baking pan with butter or cooking spray.
Step 2: Make the streusel topping
In a medium bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of flour, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Add in 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, then use your fingers or a pastry cutter to mix until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips and set aside.
Step 3: Make the cake batter
In a large bowl, whisk together 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, and 3/4 teaspoon of salt. In another bowl, cream together 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter and 3/4 cup of granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add in 2 large eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Then stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
In a separate bowl, mash 2 ripe bananas with a fork until smooth then add it to the wet mixture. Mix until incorporated. Stir in 1/2 cup of sour cream.
Gradually add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture, alternating with buttermilk, until everything is combined. Do not overmix!
Step 4: Assemble and bake
Pour half of the cake batter into your prepared pan. Top with half of the streusel mixture, then pour the remaining batter on top. Sprinkle over the remaining streusel topping.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until baked through and golden brown. Test with a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake; it should come out clean when done.
Step 5: Serve and Enjoy
Once your Chocolate-Banana Coffee Cake Recipe is finished baking, take it out of the oven and let it cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy your warm and moist chocolate banana cake with a cup of coffee or tea!
Substitutions and Variations
One of the great things about this chocolate-banana coffee cake recipe is that it’s highly customizable! If you’re looking to switch up the recipe, here are some substitutions and variations you might consider:
– Flour: If you’re looking to make this recipe gluten-free, you can substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend or almond flour.
– Sugar: This recipe uses both brown sugar and granulated sugar, but you can use all brown sugar or all granulated sugar depending on your preference. You could also try using coconut sugar for a healthier alternative.
– Butter: Instead of unsalted butter, you can use salted butter or even coconut oil for a slightly different taste.
– Chocolate chips: While semisweet chocolate chips work well in this recipe, you can experiment with other types of chocolate chips such as milk chocolate or dark chocolate. Additionally, you could try using chopped chocolate instead of chips.
– Nuts: The recipe calls for chopped walnuts in the streusel topping, but you could use pecans, almonds, or hazelnuts instead.
– Cinnamon: If you like a stronger cinnamon flavor, add an extra teaspoon to the batter or to the streusel topping.
– Cream cheese: For an added twist, try adding a layer of cream cheese filling by mixing softened cream cheese with powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
No matter what substitutions and variations you decide to experiment with, remember that baking is both a science and an art. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes and iterate until you find your perfect version of this delicious banana chocolate chip coffee cake!
Serving and Pairing
Now that you have prepared the delicious Chocolate-Banana Coffee Cake, it’s time to discuss how to serve and pair it. This cake is perfect for breakfast, mid-day snack or even as a dessert. Serve a slice of this magnificent cake cold or warm, on its own or with any hot beverage of your choice.
If you’re having trouble deciding what to pair your Chocolate-Banana Coffee Cake, here are some suggestions:
1) If you’re still sipping coffee in the morning, try pairing a slice of this wonderful coffee cake with a cup of hot, freshly brewed coffee. The chocolate-banana aroma matches perfectly with the coffee’s roasted flavors.
2) If you prefer tea over coffee, try pairing this cake with a cup of sweet Rooibos Tea, Chamomile Tea, or any flavored black tea, for example, Earl Grey. The soft banana and cinnamon combined with chocolate chips will make your taste buds sing!
3) If you prefer a cold beverage to go along with your cake, take your pick between milk or hot cocoa. Hot cocoa brings the unique combination of creating a wonderful taste explosion when paired with the chocolate chips in the cake.
4) If you’re looking for an extra kick, why not make a latte or cappuccino with the leftover coffee? The frothed milk pairs so well with the moist texture of the Chocolate-Banana Coffee Cake.
Remember that there are plenty of options to enjoy your delicious slice of cake; you can be as creative as you like! Try experimenting and finding your perfect combination while enjoying every bite.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
The Chocolate-Banana Coffee Cake is the perfect make-ahead dish for busy mornings or brunches. This cake can be prepared up to two days in advance and stored at room temperature in an airtight container. It’s important to let the coffee cake cool completely before storing it to avoid any condensation or moisture that may cause it to turn soggy.
When reheating the cake, wrap individual slices in plastic wrap and microwave them for 10-15 seconds. Alternatively, you can also warm the entire cake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 5-10 minutes. You want to be careful not to overheat the coffee cake as it can dry out quickly.
Storing leftovers is easy with this recipe. Simply store any remaining slices in a sealed container or resealable bag and keep them in the fridge for up to five days. The chocolate chips may harden slightly when refrigerated, but they will quickly soften up again at room temperature.
If you find yourself with leftover ripe bananas, this coffee cake can be frozen prior to baking. Just wrap the unbaked cake tightly in plastic wrap and freeze it for up to three months. When you’re ready to bake it, thaw it overnight in the fridge and let it come to room temperature before popping it into the oven.
So go ahead and make this delicious Chocolate-Banana Coffee Cake ahead of time or stash away any leftovers for later enjoyment. You will not regret it!
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you have read the recipe and you are ready to start baking your chocolate-banana coffee cake, let me share with you some tips for perfect results.
Tip #1: Use ripe bananas
When it comes to banana cakes, using ripe bananas is crucial. Ripe bananas will help to enhance the flavor of the cake and bring a natural sweetness. Plus, ripe bananas will be easier to mash, making sure they blend well in the mixture.
Tip #2: Sift flour and cocoa powder
To ensure that your flour and cocoa powder are evenly distributed and free from lumps, it is recommended to sift them before combining with other ingredients. This step will result in a smoother texture of the cake.
Tip #3: Don’t overmix the batter
To prevent the crumb cake from becoming too dense or chewy, avoid overmixing the batter. Mix the ingredients until just combined and no traces of dry ingredients can be seen.
Tip #4: Use chopped nuts in streusel toppings
For added crunch and texture, use chopped walnuts or your preferred nuts for your streusel recipe. Sprinkle it on top of your chocolate-banana coffee cake batter before baking. Make sure that you achieve a golden brown color for a perfect finish.
Tip #5: Keep an eye on your oven temperature
Baking time varies depending on different ovens, so it is essential to check on your cake 5-10 minutes earlier than instructed in the recipe. Also, make sure that the temperature control is accurate.
By following these tips alongside a careful adherence to our recipe instructions, we can guarantee that you’ll get an excellent result every time you bake our chocolate-banana coffee cake recipe!
In conclusion, the Chocolate-Banana Coffee Cake Recipe is a must-try for all coffee and cake lovers out there. With its magnificent blend of flavors and textures made from the perfect mixture of ripe bananas, chocolate chips, brown sugar, sour cream, and coffee cake ingredients, this cake recipe will surely satisfy your cravings.
If you’re someone who loves experimenting with different kinds of recipes, I highly recommend trying out this cake recipe. You won’t be disappointed. The combination of cinnamon, flour, sugar, and baking soda will create a delicious aroma that will fill your kitchen.
Not only is this chocolate banana coffee cake delicious, but it also offers many benefits. It can boost your mood and energy due to the caffeine from the coffee and give you a feeling of satisfaction with its sweet taste. This recipe is also easy to follow and can be done in just an hour or so!
So next time you’re having a get-together with friends or family, impress them with your baking skills by serving them a chocolate-banana coffee cake! It’s sure to make them ask for more.
In summary, not only is it delicious and easy to make, but it’s also an excellent way to unwind and relax while indulging in something sweet. So don’t hesitate to try out this recipe today – trust me when I say that you won’t regret it!
Chocolate-Banana Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups mashed mashed ripe bananas (about 5)
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or more if desired)
- 1 (300 g) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar on medium speed of electric mixer.
- Add in the eggs and beat until smooth.
- Add in vanilla and mashed bananas; mix until smooth.
- In another bowl sift together flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add to banana mixture alternately with sour cream, ending with dry ingredients Pour half of the batter into prepared baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine 3/4 cup brown sugar and 1 tsp (or more) of cinnamon.
- Sprinkle half of the cinnamon/sugar mixture over the batter in the pan.
- Top with half of the chocolate chips.
- Repeat the layers.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until cake tests done.