Indulge in Sweet Delight: Sweet Potato Coffee Cake Recipe
Ready for a mouth-watering breakfast treat? Look no further than this sweet potato coffee cake recipe. Made with wholesome ingredients like mashed sweet potatoes, nonfat yogurt, and quick-cooking oats, this recipe is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth without any guilt. Whether you’re hosting a brunch or just looking for a special morning indulgence, this sweet and spicy cake is sure to impress.
But what makes this recipe truly unique are the warm spices and crunchy pecan streusel topping, adding the perfect touch of indulgence to an otherwise healthy breakfast. Plus, with simple substitutions like using gluten-free all-purpose flour or swapping in vegan sour cream, this recipe can easily be tailored to fit your dietary needs.
So why not treat yourself to something special and whip up a batch of sweet potato coffee cake today? You won’t regret it.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Looking for a delightful and unique twist to your morning coffee cake? Look no further than the sweet potato coffee cake recipe. This delightful treat is rich in flavor and dense in texture, perfect for any brunch or breakfast. Here’s why you’ll quickly fall in love with this recipe:
Firstly, it has a unique and distinct flavor that sets it apart from traditional coffee cakes. The mashed sweet potatoes give it a pleasantly sweet taste and moist texture, making it an excellent dessert item that will satisfy all your sweet cravings.
Secondly, the ingredient list is relatively healthy, incorporating whole wheat flour and non-fat yogurt while keeping the calorie count low. In general, sweet potatoes offer numerous health benefits like boosting brain function and providing high amounts of vitamin A and other essential nutrients.
Thirdly, the crumb topping is both flavorful and crunchy, making for an ideal breakfast crumb cake. It is made with light brown sugar, pecans, all-purpose flour, oats, and butter – giving the recipe a perfect balance of textures that are light yet satisfying.
Lastly, this recipe is versatile; you can tailor it to your preferences by substituting different ingredients to fit your dietary restrictions or desired flavors. For example, you can try using gluten-free all-purpose flour for those on a gluten-free diet, or swap out nuts for other toppings like cranberry bits.
In conclusion, the sweet potato coffee cake is not only delicious but also healthy and easy to customize. The moist sweetness of the mashed sweet potatoes pairs perfectly with the crumbly topping to provide a unique twist on traditional coffee cakes. Try this recipe today; we guarantee it will become one of your favorites!
Here’s a list of all the ingredients you’ll need to make this delicious Sweet Potato Coffee Cake recipe:
For the Sweet Potato Crumb Topping:
– 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato
– 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/2 cup light brown sugar
– 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Cake Batter:
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 3 teaspoons baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 3/4 cup granulated sugar
– 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
– 2 large eggs, room temperature
– 1 cup nonfat sour cream
– 1/4 cup vegetable oil
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– Pecans or walnuts, chopped
Most of these ingredients should be readily available at your local grocery store.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have gone through the ingredient list, let’s dive into the step-by-step process of making this delicious sweet potato coffee cake.
Preparing the Sweet Potato Mixture
- Preheat your oven to 400°F/200°C.
- In a small bowl, combine mashed sweet potatoes with nonfat sour cream and vanilla. Set aside.
Preparing the Crumb Topping
- In another bowl, whisk together light brown sugar, all-purpose flour, quick-cooking oats, chopped pecans, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg until well combined.
- Add melted butter and stir until mixture becomes crumbly.
- Set aside.
Making the Cake Batter
- Take a large mixing bowl and add eggs and granulated sugar to it. Beat the mixture with an electric mixer at medium speed till it turns light and fluffy.
- Pour vegetable oil into it and add non-fat yogurt along with the mashed sweet potato mixture into the above mixture.
- Now in another bowl, take all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; mix these dry ingredients thoroughly.
- Add these mixed dry ingredients slowly to batter making sure no lumps are created.
- Fold in mashed sweet potatoes thoroughly.
Layering and Baking
- Pour about half of cake batter into a greased 9X13 inch cake pan.
- Sprinkle about two-thirds of crumb mixture over this first layer of cake batter in the pan gently yet evenly.
- Repeat by pouring remaining batter onto that layer then top the cake with remaining crumb mixture evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 mins or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Enjoy this moist and flavorful sweet potato coffee cake with a hot cup of coffee or tea!
Substitutions and Variations
If you want to change up this recipe for Sweet Potato Coffee Cake, there are many substitutions and variations to try.
For a vegan version of this cake, substitute the eggs with 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce or 1/4 cup of mashed bananas. Use vegan butter or coconut oil instead of regular butter, and non-dairy yogurt and sour cream instead of the regular versions.
To make this coffee cake gluten-free, use a gluten-free all-purpose flour and quick-cooking oats. You can also add almond meal or coconut flour to the all-purpose flour to give it more substance.
For a more festive flavor, try adding cranberries or chopped apples into the batter. You can also sprinkle pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice mix over the crumb topping for added warmth.
If you’re looking for healthier alternatives, try using half whole wheat flour and half all-purpose flour in your batter. Swap out some of the sugar for unsweetened applesauce, honey, agave nectar or maple syrup. You can also add nuts like walnuts or almonds to the crumb topping for an extra crunch.
Experiment with different types of streusel: cinnamon streusel is always great, but try adding gingerbread spices, cocoa powder or citrus zest to mix things up.
With these substitutions and variations, this sweet potato coffee cake recipe becomes even more versatile – perfect for breakfasts, snacks or desserts.
Serving and Pairing
This Sweet Potato Coffee Cake is a delicious delight that pairs perfectly with your morning cup of joe or tea. When serving this cake, feel free to sprinkle some powdered sugar or cinnamon on top for an extra pop of flavor.
The moist and sweet taste of this cake makes it an excellent choice for breakfast, brunch, or dessert. Its crumbly texture and nutty streusel topping make it the perfect accompaniment to your coffee or tea break.
If you’re looking for a more decadent pairing, try serving this sweet potato crumb cake with a dollop of whipped cream or maple icing. The blend of flavors is sensational and will leave your taste buds craving more.
This Sweet Potato Coffee Cake can be served warm, at room temperature, or even cold. If you decide to serve it cold, I recommend brewing up a fresh pot of coffee as the perfect way to complement its sweet aroma and flavor.
Overall, this crumble cake is versatile and can be paired with many types of beverages, including coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or even a delicious cold glass of milk. Whatever your preference, you won’t go wrong when serving this sweet potato crumb cake to guests or enjoying it during an afternoon break.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This Sweet Potato Coffee Cake is a delightful make-ahead treat that you can serve any time of the day. It’s perfect for breakfast, brunch or as an after-dinner dessert. Here are some tips on how to store and reheat this amazing cake:
If you want to make it ahead of time, simply bake the cake as instructed in the recipe, and let it cool completely. Once cooled, cover it with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store it in the refrigerator for up to five days.
To reheat, preheat your oven to 300°F (150°C). Unwrap the cake and place it on a baking sheet. Cover the cake with aluminum foil and bake for 20-25 minutes. You can also microwave individual slices for 10-15 seconds.
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days or in the refrigerator for up to five days.
This sweet potato coffee cake also freezes well. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then place it in a freezer-safe plastic bag or container. It will keep for up to two months. To thaw, remove the cake from the freezer and let sit at room temperature for several hours.
Make sure not to store this coffee cake with anything that has a strong odor, like onions or garlic, as it may absorb their scent.
Overall, this sweet potato coffee cake is a delicious treat that can be enjoyed right away or stored for later enjoyment. With these simple tips, you can ensure that your cake stays moist and fresh even after being stored or reheated.
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you have all the ingredients and steps to make this delicious Sweet Potato Coffee Cake Recipe, let me share with you some tips for perfect results.
Firstly, do not overmix the batter. Overmixing causes gluten formation, making the cake dense and chewy. Mix just enough to incorporate all ingredients and have a smooth batter.
Secondly, use room temperature ingredients. This ensures that all ingredients mix well and result in a uniform texture. Room temperature butter blends better with sugar, creating a lighter and fluffier batter compared to cold butter.
Thirdly, check your oven temperature, as different ovens have different baking times. Adjust the baking time accordingly by checking the cake 10-15 minutes before completion. Insert a toothpick or skewer into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, it’s done!
Fourthly, don’t skip the streusel topping. The crumbly topping is essential to complete the flavor profile of this sweet potato coffee cake recipe.
Lastly, be creative! Experiment with different varieties of nuts or spices to adjust the taste according to your preference.
Follow these tips for a moist, sweet potato crumb cake with streusel topping that will leave you craving more!
In conclusion, this sweet potato coffee cake recipe is the perfect combination of warmth and sweetness in every bite. With its moist texture, delicious streusel topping, and healthy ingredients such as whole wheat flour and mashed sweet potatoes, it’s a great choice for breakfast, dessert or any time of the day.
Moreover, the recipe is versatile and can be easily adjusted to suit your dietary needs, with vegan and gluten-free options available. You can also substitute some of the ingredients depending on what you have in your pantry.
So why not give this recipe a try? Treat yourself to a slice of this delicious coffee cake that’s both satisfying and good for you. You’ll love its unique flavor profile that combines the subtle sweetness of sweet potatoes with the warm spices of cinnamon and nutmeg.
Finally, if you want to impress your friends and family with your baking skills or if you’re looking for a new addition to your brunch menu, this recipe is sure to be a hit. Serve it with a cup of coffee or tea and enjoy the indulgent pleasure of this delectable coffee cake. So what are you waiting for? Start baking today!
Sweet Potato Coffee Cake Recipe
- 2/3 cup nonfat yogurt (or applesauce, originally melted butter)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (original called for 1 tsp)
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- 3/4 cup cooked mashed sweet potatoes (I increase this to 1 C and increase the flour by about 2 T. Also have stirred in 1/2 C small chunks )
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (I add 1/4 C oats and decrease flour to 1/4 C)
- 1 tablespoon butter (original calls for 3 T)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Heat oven to 325°.
- Grease a 9 to 10-inch springform pan .
- In mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla; add sour cream and mashed sweet potatoes.
- In large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir first mixture into the flour mixture, stirring just until blended (if using additional sweet potato chunks add now).
- Spread batter in prepared pan. Combine topping ingredients until crumbly and sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake coffee cake for about 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean (I baked at 350 for 45 minutes and it was perfect). Let cool, loosen edges, and remove sides of pan.