Greetings, dear coffee lovers!
Are you looking for a delightful treat that will have you reaching for a second slice before you even finish the first? Allow me to introduce you to this exquisite Refrigerator Coffee Cake recipe.
Picture a moist and fluffy cake, layered with cinnamon-flavored brown sugar streusel, topped off with a velvety glaze, all infused with the rich aroma of coffee. Sounds like heaven, doesn’t it?
The magic of this recipe is that it can be easily prepared overnight and popped in the fridge, ready to bake first thing in the morning. The perfect make-ahead breakfast or brunch dish that will leave your whole house smelling sweet and warm.
Whether you’re planning a cozy family gathering or an intimate breakfast for two, this Refrigerator Coffee Cake is sure to impress your guests and satisfy even the most demanding sweet cravings.
So put on your apron and get ready to indulge in a little piece of heaven – let’s bake together!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Ladies and gentlemen, let me tell you why you’re going to absolutely adore this Refrigerator Coffee Cake Recipe that I’ve got here for you today. This recipe is going to blow your mind and win over your taste buds with its deliciousness.
Firstly, this cake is incredibly easy to make. You don’t have to be a professional baker or have any experience in the kitchen whatsoever. With simple ingredients like flour, cinnamon, milk, sugar, and eggs, anyone can whip up this cake in no time at all. And the best part? You don’t even have to bake it right away! You can refrigerate it overnight and wake up to a scrumptious breakfast the next day.
Secondly, this cake is highly customizable. Do you want a streusel topping on your cake? No problem! Want to swap out the sour cream for heavy cream? Go for it! The recipe allows for substitutions and variations, so you can personalize it according to your preferences and requirements.
Thirdly, this cake is versatile. It’s perfect for any occasion – from weekend brunches to picnics in the park or quick breakfasts during the weekday rush. It pairs beautifully with a hot cup of coffee or tea or some chilled lemonade on hot summer days.
Lastly, this coffee cake will evoke feelings of nostalgia and warmth in you. The fragrance of cinnamon wafting through your home as the cake bakes in your oven will take you back to those happy childhood memories of baking with your mother or grandmother.
In conclusion, folks, this Refrigerator Coffee Cake Recipe is a delightful addition to any recipe box. So why not give it a try? Trust me, one bite of this delectable dessert will leave you wanting more.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this delicious Refrigerator Coffee Cake Recipe:
- Butter, Margarine or Shortening: This recipe uses butter or margarine, but you can also use shortening as a substitute.
- Flour: All purpose flour is used for this recipe.
- Cinnamon: For that sweet and warming flavor.
- Brown Sugar: This recipe uses brown sugar in both the cake and streusel topping.
- Milk: Any milk that you have on hand can be used for this recipe.
- Salt: A pinch of salt enhances all the flavors.
- Baking Powder: Provides lift to the cake.
- Egg: Adds richness and structure to the cake.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar is used in this recipe.
- Sour Cream: Gives the cake moisture and tanginess.
- Heavy Cream: Used to make the cream coffee mixture for soaking overnight.
Note: If you wish to make substitutions or variations, read through section (5) Substitutions and Variations for possible ingredient tweaks.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have the ingredients ready, let’s dive into how to make this delicious Refrigerator Coffee Cake!
Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and prepare the pan either by greasing it with butter or cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
In a large bowl, blend the softened butter with the sugar until smooth and creamy.
Beat in the egg and vanilla.
Gradually mix in the flour mixture, alternating with the milk.
Spread half of the batter into the prepared pan.
For the streusel topping, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter in a separate bowl before adding in flour.
Sprinkle half of the streusel mixture over cake batter in pan.
Add another layer of cake batter on top before sprinkling the remaining streusel mixture.
Cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or at least for 5 hours.
When ready to bake, let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes to an hour first.
Bake for 35-40 minutes until lightly browned on top and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Lastly, let it cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing it up and serve!
You can also add chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts to your streusel mixture for an extra crunch.
If you can’t refrigerate overnight, you can also leave in the fridge for at least 5 hours before baking.
This recipe can also be topped with cinnamon glaze or even served with whipped cream on top for added decadence!
Now you have your very own delicious Refrigerator Coffee Cake ready to be served!
Substitutions and Variations
Coffee cake is a classic dessert that can be customized to your liking. Here are a few substitutions and variations to try with this refrigerator coffee cake recipe:
– Flour: You can use all-purpose flour or substitute half of it with whole wheat flour for a healthier option.
– Sugar: Feel free to substitute brown sugar with white sugar or use a combination of both. If you prefer a less sweet coffee cake, reduce the amount of sugar by half.
– Butter/margarine: You can use either butter or margarine in this recipe. Make sure it’s softened at room temperature before mixing.
– Streusel topping: Mix it up by adding chopped nuts, chocolate chips, or dried fruit to the streusel topping. You can also swap cinnamon for nutmeg or cardamom for a different flavor profile.
– Vegan coffee cake: Replace the milk with almond or soy milk and use vegan butter instead of regular butter/margarine.
– Chocolate coffee cake: Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips to the streusel topping for a chocolate twist.
– Gluten-free coffee cake: Use gluten-free all-purpose flour in place of regular flour.
– Yellow cake mix coffee cake: Substitute the flour, baking powder, and salt with a yellow cake mix to make an easy coffee cake in minutes.
With these substitutions and variations, you can get creative with your coffee cake and tailor it to your taste buds.
Serving and Pairing
This refrigerator coffee cake is perfect for brunch or as a sweet treat to accompany an afternoon tea. It pairs perfectly with a hot cup of coffee, tea, or even a glass of cold milk.
To serve, slice the cake into thick portions and place onto individual plates. You can dust the top of each slice with a little extra cinnamon for added flavor and aesthetic appeal. You can also add a dollop of whipped cream on top or alongside the cake to take it up a notch.
If you’re looking to elevate the experience even further, consider pairing this coffee cake with a delectable fruit salad or fresh berries on the side. The sweetness of the cake will nicely complement the tanginess of the fruit, making for an indulgent yet balanced meal.
Alternatively, if you’re serving this as part of a bigger brunch spread, it would pair well with other breakfast items such as bacon, scrambled eggs, or even bagels with cream cheese. This makes it versatile and easy to incorporate into many different meal types.
Overall, this easy-to-make refrigerator coffee cake is sure to impress your guests and satisfy your sweet tooth. With its comforting flavors and homey feel, it’s bound to become a new favorite in your household.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the best parts of this refrigerator coffee cake recipe is that you can prepare it ahead of time, refrigerate it overnight, and simply bake it when you’re ready to serve. The result is a freshly baked cake that’s ready in no time!
To prepare this coffee cake ahead of time, simply follow the recipe instructions up until the point where you would normally bake the cake. Instead of baking, cover the cake pan with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place it in the refrigerator overnight to let the flavors meld together.
When you’re ready to bake your coffee cake, simply remove it from the fridge and preheat your oven according to the recipe temperature. Uncover the pan and bake your coffee cake for as long as directed in the recipe, until cooked through.
If you find yourself with leftovers or want to make this coffee cake in advance, it’s important to store it properly. Wrap any leftover slices tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
To reheat your coffee cake slices, either heat them up in the microwave for 10-20 seconds or pop them into a preheated oven set at 350°F for 5-10 minutes until heated through. This will ensure that your coffee cake stays moist and delicious even after reheating.
By preparing this make-ahead refrigerator coffee cake recipe, you’ll have a delicious and easy-to-prepare treat that’s perfect for any brunch party or afternoon tea gathering.
Tips for Perfect Results
To ensure that your refrigerator coffee cake turns out perfectly, here are some tips to keep in mind:
1. Use room temperature ingredients: Make sure that the butter and eggs are at room temperature before mixing them with other ingredients. This will help the mixture blend together smoothly.
2. Don’t overmix: When you add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, stir until just combined. Overmixing can make the texture of your cake tough and dense.
3. Use a light hand when adding streusel topping: When you’re adding the streusel topping, be careful not to press down too hard as it can make the cake dense.
4. Refrigerate overnight: Letting your cake refrigerate overnight will give it a chance to soak up all the flavors of brown sugar and cinnamon, resulting in a more flavorful coffee cake.
5. Check for doneness: Insert a toothpick into the center of the cake before taking it out of the oven. If it comes out clean, then your cake is done.
6. Let it cool: Before serving your refrigerator coffee cake, let it cool completely on a wire rack. This will prevent it from crumbling when slicing.
Follow these tips for guaranteed success in making this recipe!
In conclusion, this refrigerator coffee cake recipe is the perfect choice for those who want to enjoy fresh, delicious coffee cake in the morning without spending hours in the kitchen. With its streusel topping and creamy sour cream filling, this coffee cake is a scrumptious treat that will please both you and your guests. Plus, it is easy to make and customizable based on personal preferences.
Not only is this recipe versatile and delicious, but it is also time-efficient. You can prepare it the night before and refrigerate it overnight, saving you precious minutes in the morning. Additionally, this recipe offers various substitutions and variations so that you can adjust it to your liking.
So why not try out this truly amazing recipe today? It’s perfect for cozy mornings at home and pairs beautifully with a hot cup of coffee or tea. Trust me, once you try this refrigerator coffee cake recipe, you’ll never look back.
Refrigerator Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup margarine or 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (original recipe calls for nutmeg)
- 1/2 cup milk
In a small bowl
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- Combine and mix the topping ingredients with a fork and set aside.
- Grease a 8x8 pan.
- Cream the shortening of choice, sugar and egg together until fluffy.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with the milk.
- Turn batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with spicy topping.
- Cover and place in refrigerator overnight.
- Next morning bake in a 375 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.
- VARIATION: UPSIDE-DOWN COFFEE CAKE.
- Grease a 8x8 pan.
- Add 1/4 cup corn syrup to the spicy topping mixture.
- Spread evenly in the bottom of the pan and cover with Refrigerator Coffee Cake batter.
- Place in fridge overnight.
- Bake as for Refrigerator Coffee Cake.
- Turn up-side down immediately.