If you’re a lover of warm, comforting desserts, then I have the perfect recipe for you: Aunt Fran’s Coffee Cake Recipe. This coffee cake has been in our family for generations, and it never disappoints.
Aunt Fran’s Coffee Cake Recipe is not like anything you’ve ever tasted before. With a rich blend of cinnamon and sugar, topped with crunchy pecans and powdered sugar on top, this cake will make your taste buds dance with joy. Trust me; it’s addictive! It’s super easy to make and would be perfect for breakfast or any gatherings.
Alongside the phenomenal taste, there are a lot of reasons to love this coffee cake recipe. It uses simple ingredients found in every home kitchen across America: flour, sugar, eggs, butter or margarine, and other pantry staples. So no fancy ingredients or equipment are required!
But wait, there’s more! This coffee cake recipe can be easily adapted to cater to your unique preferences with substitutions and variations options that suit your taste buds.
So what makes Aunt Fran’s Coffee Cake Recipe so special? It isn’t just a cake; it’s an emblem of love in our family tradition passed down by my grandmother Aunt Anne over several generations. Now you can join and share these delightful memories with your loved ones while enjoying the fantastic taste of Aunt Fran’s Coffee Cake Recipe!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re looking for a coffee cake recipe that is sure to leave your taste buds dancing with joy, then Aunt Fran’s Coffee Cake is the one for you. This recipe has been in my family for generations and has been enjoyed by countless people over the years. Here are just a few reasons why you’ll absolutely love this recipe:
First of all, the combination of cinnamon and sugar mixed with the texture of the pecans creates a delicious flavor and crunch that perfectly complement the soft, moist cake. And if you’re a fan of vanilla, you’ll be happy to know that Aunt Fran’s recipe includes both vanilla extract and instant vanilla pudding mix, which result in a rich and creamy taste.
Additionally, this recipe is incredibly easy to make – it only uses simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry such as flour, sugar, eggs, milk, and butter. It’s perfect for those days when you want to whip up something sweet but don’t have a lot of time on your hands. You’ll only need about 15 minutes of prep time before popping the cake into the oven to bake.
Another great feature of this recipe is its versatility. You can easily swap out ingredients or add in your own personal favorites! For example, I’ve tried making this cake with chopped apples or blueberries mixed in and it turned out equally delicious. If you’re looking for an extra special treat, try making a cinnamon pineapple walnut variation – trust me, your taste buds will thank you!
In conclusion, Aunt Fran’s Coffee Cake is the perfect blend of simplicity, flavor, and versatility that will keep you coming back for seconds (and maybe even thirds). Whether you’re serving it as a dessert after a family dinner or as a breakfast treat with your morning coffee, this cake is sure to please everyone at the table. Don’t believe me? Just give it a try – your taste buds won’t regret it!
Let me tell you about the amazing ingredients that Aunt Fran’s coffee cake recipe needs. These ingredients are sure to make your coffee cake rich in flavor and simply irresistible. Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour: Make sure to measure it correct, sift it well and level off the cup.
- 1 tablespoon baking powder: Helps with the rise of the cake batter.
- ¼ teaspoon salt: Balances the sweetness of the cake.
- 1 ½ cups sour cream: Adds moisture and richness to the cake.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract: Adds flavor to your cake.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened: Don’t forget to bring it to room temperature before mixing it with other ingredients!
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar: Sweetens up this delicious treat.
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature: Makes the cake moist while providing structure.
For Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Keep in mind that there are some substitutions and variations you can make to this recipe that I’ll cover later on so keep reading!
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have all the ingredients ready, let’s start making this delicious Aunt Fran’s coffee cake recipe.
Step 1: Prepare the dry ingredients
In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of purpose flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, and a package of instant vanilla pudding. Mix well with a whisk until all ingredients are evenly combined.
Step 2: Prepare the wet ingredients
In another bowl, cream 1 cup of butter and 1 ½ cups of white sugar until the mixture becomes fluffy. Add in 4 eggs (one at a time) and mix well after each addition. Then add in 1 teaspoon vanilla and ¼ cup instant coffee to the blend.
Step 3: Combine the wet and dry ingredients
Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir them together gently until well blended using a spatula.
Step 4: Prepare the streusel layer
In a separate bowl, combine chopped pecans, cinnamon, and sugar (2 tablespoons each). Set aside for later use.
Step 5: Assemble Cake Batter in a Bundt Pan
Grease and flour a Bundt pan, then pour half of the batter into it. Sprinkle half of the streusel mixture over the top of it. Pour in the remaining batter next, spreading it evenly throughout. Finally, sprinkle on top of it the remaining streusel mixture.
Step 6: Bake The Cake
Bake this coffee cake recipe at 350°F for about 60-70 minutes or until you insert a toothpick into its center comes out smoothly. Remove from oven and let cool for approximately ten minutes before removing it from the pan.
Enjoy your freshly baked, warm coffee cake from Aunt Fran’s cake recipes collection!
Substitutions and Variations
Substitutions and variations are perfect for those who love to experiment with different ingredients, have dietary restrictions or simply want to mix things up. Here are some substitute and variation ideas for Aunt Fran’s Coffee Cake Recipe:
– Dairy-free version: Instead of using milk and sour cream, you can substitute them with dairy-free versions such as almond milk and vegan sour cream.
– Nut-free version: If you or your loved ones have nut allergies, you may want to omit the pecans in the recipe. You can swap them out for chocolate chips or raisins if you’d like.
– Gluten-free version: If you’re on a gluten-free diet, replace the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free alternative such as almond flour or coconut flour.
– Cinnamon pineapple walnut variation: Want to try something different? Add 1 cup of chopped pineapple and 1 cup of chopped walnuts to the recipe for a tasty twist.
– Lemon pound cake variation: To make a lemony version of the coffee cake, add lemon zest or extract to the batter and top with a lemon glaze made from powdered sugar and lemon juice.
– Chocolate chip variation: You can also add chocolate chips to this recipe for a delicious chocolatey treat.
These substitutions and variations are just a few examples of how you can tailor Aunt Fran’s Coffee Cake Recipe to your liking. The options are endless, so feel free to get creative with your choices.
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving Aunt Fran’s coffee cake, there are a number of options that will enhance the flavors of this delicious dessert. For a simple serving suggestion, try slicing the cake into generous portions and dusting them with powdered sugar. The light sweetness of the powdered sugar will balance out the cinnamon and sugar flavors in the cake.
Another great option is to serve this coffee cake warm with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The cool creaminess will pair perfectly with the warm spicy flavors of the cake. You could also drizzle a simple vanilla glaze over the top of the cake for an even sweeter finishing touch.
If you’re looking for more of an adventure, try pairing Aunt Fran’s coffee cake with a rich, bold coffee like Boston Coffee’s Medium Roast. The drink’s richness and full-bodied flavor will complement the warm flavors in the cake without overpowering them.
For those who prefer something lighter, a cup of hot or iced tea would be just as delicious. Choose a black tea like Earl Grey or Darjeeling to bring out the subtle spice notes in the cake.
No matter how you choose to serve it, Aunt Fran’s coffee cake is bound to be a crowd-pleaser. Don’t be afraid to experiment and find your own perfect pairing for this tasty treat!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Aunt Fran’s Coffee Cake Recipe is perfect for busy mornings or for entertaining guests. Fortunately, you can prepare ahead and store the cake to enjoy whenever desired.
To make-ahead, bake the coffee cake according to the recipe and let it cool completely. Once cooled, wrap the cake tightly with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to five days. Alternatively, you can freeze the coffee cake for up to two months. Simply wrap the cake in a layer of plastic wrap followed by a layer of aluminum foil before placing it in the freezer.
When it’s time to serve, remove the coffee cake from the fridge or freezer and allow it to thaw at room temperature for a few hours. To reheat the thawed coffee cake, place it in a preheated oven at 350°F for about 10 minutes until warmed through.
Aunt Fran’s Coffee Cake Recipe stays moist and delicious even after being stored or reheated. The pecan and cinnamon flavors intensify over time, making it even more flavorful than when freshly baked. Whether you’re enjoying a slice on a lazy morning or serving as dessert at a dinner party, this coffee cake will surely be a hit with everyone who takes a bite.
Tips for Perfect Results
To make the best Aunt Fran’s Coffee Cake Recipe, here are some tips to help you achieve a perfect result every time.
1. Use fresh ingredients: Ensure that all your ingredients, such as the flour, baking powder, and eggs, are fresh. Using stale components might affect the coffee cake’s texture and taste.
2. Sift the flour: Sifting flour helps to remove any lumps and aerates it. This process yields a light and fluffy coffee cake texture.
3. Cream butter and sugar well: To ensure a tender and moist crumb, cream the butter and sugar for at least 5 minutes until it turns light and fluffy.
4. Incorporate eggs one at a time: Add eggs individually so that they blend properly with your batter. Doing this makes your coffee cake tender without being dense.
5. Don’t overmix the batter: Overmixing can cause gluten formation in your coffee cake, resulting in a tough texture. Mix until everything is combined thoroughly.
6. Adding sour cream: Sour cream adds moistness to the coffee cake batter; thus,it is an essential ingredient you shouldn’t skip.
7. Use flavored creamer in place of milk or water: For an extra burst of flavor, replace milk or water with flavored creamer such as French Vanilla, Cinnamon Roll or Caramel.
8. Toast pecans before adding them to batter; adding them raw will make them soft instead of crunchy when baked.
By following these tips, you can avoid common baking mistakes and produce a delicious Aunt Fran’s Coffee Cake Recipe every time!
In conclusion, Aunt Fran’s coffee cake recipe is a delicious and easy-to-make dessert that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re looking for a classic dessert to share with family and friends or simply want to indulge in a sweet treat on your own, this recipe is the perfect choice.
With its combination of cinnamon, sugar, and pecans, this coffee cake is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and leave you feeling satisfied. And thanks to its versatile ingredient list, you can easily tailor it to suit your preferences by adding in different flavors or substitutions.
So why wait? Head to the kitchen today and start creating your very own version of Aunt Fran’s coffee cake recipe. Trust me, you won’t regret it!
Aunt Fran’s Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- chopped pecans
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- In a small bowl combine sugar and cinnamon.
- Set Aside.
- Combine pudding and cake mix with eggs, oil, water and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Grease and flour 9x13 inch pan.
- (This cake rises considerably and needs a large pan.) Sprinkle half of the nuts on the bottom of the pan.
- Spread half of the batter over the nuts.
- Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Add rest of batter.
- Sprinkle top with nuts.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a wooden tooth pick comes out clean.
- Mix powdered sugar and milk.
- Drizzle glaze over cake whil hot.