Welcome to my kitchen, coffee lovers! As a barista, I love experimenting with different coffee flavors and adding a little something extra to each cup. Today, I want to share with you a low-fat baking mix coffee cake recipe that’s sure to satisfy your sweet tooth without adding too many extra calories.
Coffee cake is perfect for mornings when you’re in a rush and need something quick and easy for breakfast. It’s also great for afternoon tea or a dessert after dinner. With this recipe, you’ll enjoy all the flavors of cinnamon, brown sugar, and coffee without worrying about the extra fat.
I promise you won’t be able to resist its moist texture and cinnamon streusel topping. And even better, this recipe is incredibly versatile – it can be made vegan or keto-friendly with a few minor tweaks. So let’s dive in and start making this delicious low-fat coffee cake!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you looking for a delicious coffee cake recipe that is low-fat and heart smart? If so, you won’t want to pass up this Low Fat Baking Mix Coffee Cake Recipe!
Not only is this recipe easy to make, but it also contains reduced-fat ingredients, making it a healthier option for those watching their waistlines. But don’t worry – healthy doesn’t mean sacrificing flavor! This coffee cake is still packed with all the cinnamon and brown sugar goodness that we know and love.
Plus, with simple ingredient swaps like using egg substitute and skim milk instead of regular ones, you can make this recipe even more tailored to your dietary needs without compromising on taste.
So whether you’re trying to eat healthier or just looking for an easy skinny coffee cake recipe, this one is sure to impress. Trust me; your taste buds will thank you!
To make this low-fat delicious coffee cake, you will need the following ingredients:
For the Cake:
- 2 cups of baking mix (like Bisquick)
- ⅔ cup of water
- 1 egg or egg substitute
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 cup of fat-free or low-fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
For the Cinnamon Streusel:
- 1/4 cup of firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of baking mix
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of firm butter or margarine, cut into small pieces
- Instead of water, use milk – whole milk, reduced fat or skim milk will work
- Instead of butter, use margarine
- Brown sugar light can be used instead of regular brown sugar for a healthier option.
Make sure to have all ingredients on hand before starting the recipe.
The Recipe How-To
Now that you know why this Low Fat Baking Mix Coffee Cake Recipe is so wonderful, let’s dive into how to make it. In this section, I will outline the steps for you to follow and create a delicious low-fat cinnamon coffee cake.
First off, here are the ingredients that you’ll need to make this delicious low-fat coffee cake:
- 2 cups of baking mix (such as Bisquick)
- ⅔ cup of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of reduced-fat 1% milk
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 2 egg substitutes (or eggs if preferred)
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 cup of skim milk
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the baking mix, granulated sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
In another small mixing bowl, whisk together the egg substitute, reduced-fat milk and skim milk.
Add the wet ingredients mixture to the large bowl with dry ingredients mixture and stir until well-combined.
Liberally coat an eight-inch square running dish or pie dish with non-stick cooking spray and pour half the batter into it.
Evenly sprinkle half of your cinnamon-brown sugar mixture on top of your first layer batter in your pan.
Pour remaining batter over your filling equally across the pan.
Add the remaining cinnamon-brown sugar topping over the top layer of batter in your pan.
With a spatula or spoon, gently swirl and marry the batter and topping by swirling or mixing with a fork, but not too much so that the topping stays mainly on top.
Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Let it cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Results
To ensure your cake turns out perfectly every time, here are some tips and tricks you can use:
- Be sure to measure all of your ingredients precisely. Inexact measurements can result in a cake that is too dry, too dense or too runny.
- If you’re using eggs instead of an egg substitute, be sure to whisk them thoroughly before adding them to the mixture.
- Don’t overmix your cake batter. Overmixing will cause your cake to become tough and chewy.
- For extra moistness, swap out water with milk in this recipe.
- You can also add walnuts or pecans to your cinnamon-sugar mix as a variation for texture.
Enjoy your delicious cinnamon low-fat coffee cake knowing that it is both healthy and
Substitutions and Variations
Coffee cakes are versatile desserts that you can customize to your heart’s content. If you want to switch up the flavors or substitute some ingredients, here are some ideas for you.
– Butter: If you don’t have firm butter or margarine, you can use vegetable shortening or coconut oil instead. Note that this will change the flavor and texture of the cake.
– Sugar: You can use different types of sugar in this recipe such as granulated sugar, brown sugar, or a mixture of both. For a healthier option, try using sugar-free alternatives like Stevia or Splenda.
– Milk: If you’re looking for a low-fat or vegan option, swap the whole milk with skim milk, almond milk, soy milk, or coconut milk. Note that this will affect the taste and richness of the cake.
– Baking Mix: Instead of using Bisquick baking mix, you can make your own by mixing 2 cups of all-purpose flour with 2 teaspoons of baking powder and ½ teaspoon of salt.
– Egg Substitute: For a healthier version, replace the egg with 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce or use an egg substitute like Ener-G egg replacer.
– Cinnamon Streusel Topping: You can add chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts to the streusel topping for extra crunch and flavor.
– Flavor Variations: Add 1 cup of diced apples, pears, or berries to the batter for a fruity twist. You can also replace some of the flour with almond flour for a nutty flavor. For a keto-friendly version, use coconut flour and erythritol instead of Bisquick mix and sugar.
By experimenting with different substitutions and variations, you can create a coffee cake that suits your taste buds and dietary needs. Just remember to adjust the measurements accordingly and have fun!
Serving and Pairing
Once your Low Fat Baking Mix Coffee Cake is fresh out of the oven and has cooled down, it’s time to serve and enjoy!
This coffee cake is a perfect addition to a morning cup of coffee or tea. The cinnamon aroma and slightly sweet taste will complement any hot beverage perfectly.
To make this cake even more indulgent, add a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. This will create a delicious balance between the warm cake and the cold topping.
Alternatively, you could also serve this coffee cake with some fresh fruit like strawberries or blueberries. This combination works well together as the sweetness of the fruit complements the slight tanginess of the cake from using sour cream in the recipe.
When hosting guests, I recommend pairing this Low Fat Baking Mix Coffee Cake with some light breakfast options like yogurt, granola, and fresh juice. This will create a balanced breakfast spread that will delight your guests’ taste buds while also keeping things healthy.
Overall, this Low Fat Baking Mix Coffee Cake is a versatile dessert that can be enjoyed at any time of day. Whether it’s served for brunch, afternoon tea or dessert after dinner, it’s guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
When it comes to making coffee cake, it’s always helpful to plan ahead. Luckily, this low-fat baking mix coffee cake recipe can be made ahead of time, stored, and reheated for future indulgence.
If you want to make this coffee cake ahead of time, go right ahead! Once the cake has cooled completely, store it in a covered container or wrap it in plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator. It will keep well for up to three days.
To reheat a slice of coffee cake, simply place it on a microwave-safe plate and heat it in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds. You could also reheat it in the oven by wrapping it in foil and heating at 325°F for 10-15 minutes.
For optimal freshness and texture, it’s recommended to not cut the entire cake until you’re ready to serve it. Instead, slice off pieces as needed to avoid drying out the remaining cake.
This recipe is perfect for sharing with friends and family during parties or gatherings. And with its make-ahead capabilities, you can easily prepare it in advance without sacrificing any of its deliciousness.
So don’t hesitate to indulge in this easy-to-make low fat coffee cake — you can enjoy a slice whenever your sweet tooth desires!
Tips for Perfect Results
To ensure that your low-fat baking mix coffee cake turns out perfectly, there are a few tips to keep in mind. Here are some tips to help you achieve the best results:
1. Use firm butter or margarine for the streusel topping – it will give it a better texture than if you use softened butter.
2. For an extra kick of cinnamon flavor, mix 1 tablespoon of cinnamon into the brown sugar filling.
3. Substitute 1/2 cup of egg substitute for the 2 eggs in the recipe to make it even healthier.
4. Use granulated sugar instead of brown sugar for a lighter color and texture.
5. If the batter seems too thick, add a tablespoon or two of water or milk to thin it out.
6. Be sure to use a baking mix that is labeled “low fat” or “heart smart,” like Bisquick.
7. Make sure to preheat your oven to 400°F before baking the coffee cake.
8. To check if the coffee cake is done, insert a toothpick into the center – if it comes out clean, it’s ready!
Remember these tips as they will help you create a delicious and healthy low-fat coffee cake that you’ll love!
There you have it, a low-fat coffee cake recipe that is easy, tasty, and healthy. You don’t have to compromise the taste to achieve a healthy and guilt-free coffee break! The versatility of this recipe allows you to create endless variations and add-ins to suit every taste bud.
This recipe is heart-smart, keto-friendly, vegan-friendly, and perfect for anyone who wants to enjoy a slice of cake without the added fat and calories. You can enjoy it with your morning coffee, as an afternoon snack, or even serve it for a special occasion.
So why not give this recipe a try? With all the variations and substitutions available, there is no room for boredom. Trust me; once you try this low-fat coffee cake recipe, you will never look back.
Enjoy guilt-free baking with this recipe – after all, who doesn’t love something sweet but healthy? Happy baking!
Low Fat Baking Mix Coffee Cake Recipe
- 2 1/3 cups baking mix, divided
- 2/3 cup water or 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons firm butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- Heat oven to 375*. Spray 9" round pan.
- Stir together 2 cups baking mix, milk or water, granulated sugar, and egg substitute. Spread dough in pan.
- Stir together 1/3 cups baking mix, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter or margarine. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.