Do you love coffee and banana, but are getting tired of the same old recipes? Well, have no fear! This coffee and banana sponge cake recipe is here to save the day.
As a lover of all things coffee and banana, I have tried many recipes, but this one takes the cake – literally. The combination of moist banana and rich coffee creates a deliciously unique flavor profile that will leave your taste buds begging for more.
Not only is this an incredibly tasty treat, but it’s also a great baking experience for beginners and experts alike. The recipe is easy to follow and requires minimal ingredients that you may already have in your kitchen.
So, why not take a break from your usual routine and try something new with this delicious coffee and banana sponge cake recipe? Trust me; your taste buds will thank you!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Attention coffee and banana lovers! Do you crave a sweet and unique treat that pairs perfectly with your favorite cup of coffee? Then look no further than this delicious coffee and banana sponge cake recipe.
Firstly, imagine the combination of moist and fluffy cake texture with a subtle hint of coffee aroma paired with the sweet and fruity taste of ripe bananas. Trust us, it’s a match made in heaven!
Secondly, this recipe is incredibly easy to make, requiring only basic baking ingredients such as flour, sugar, eggs, baking powder and bananas. Plus, you can easily make substitutions or variations such as using different types of flour or adding nuts or chocolate chips to make it your own.
Thirdly, this cake is versatile in serving and pairing. It’s perfect for special occasions like birthdays or holidays but also great for breakfast or afternoon tea. You can even serve it with cream cheese frosting, whipped cream or ice cream on top for an extra indulgence.
In conclusion, this coffee and banana sponge cake recipe is a must-try for all coffee and banana enthusiasts out there. With its delicious flavor and easy-to-make nature, it’s a treat that everyone will enjoy. So go ahead and try it out today, you won’t be disappointed!
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ripe bananas mashed (about 1 and 1/3 cup)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons hot water
This coffee and banana sponge cake recipe requires a few staple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. Flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt are used to create the perfect texture while the ripe bananas and eggs act as binding agents. Unsalted butter adds richness and depth of flavor to the cake, while white and brown sugars add sweetness.
For the coffee mixture, we will need instant coffee granules mixed with hot water to enhance the taste of our cake. Lastly, milk is added to balance out the flavors of this delicious coffee and banana combination. All of these ingredients come together to make a soft, moist, and flavorful cake that everyone will love!
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s dive into the recipe how-to for this coffee and banana sponge cake!
Step 1: Preheat the oven
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9-inch cake pan with butter and dust it with flour.
Step 2: Mix dry ingredients
In a bowl, mix together 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, and
⅓ teaspoon of salt.
Step 3: Combine wet ingredients
In another bowl, mash 3 ripe bananas and stir in ¾ cup of white sugar until well combined. Then add in 2 eggs, one at a time,
while mixing the batter. Stir in ¾ cup of unsalted butter (softened) and mix until creamy.
Next, whisk together ¾ cup of milk and 1 tablespoon of espresso powder in a small bowl until well-mixed, then pour into the batter mixture
and continue stirring.
Step 4: Combine dry and wet ingredients
Gradually stir in the dry ingredient mixture from step 2 into the wet ingredient mixture from step 3. Mix it well
until everything is well-combined.
Step 5: Pour batter & Bake
Pour the batter into the greased cake pan from step 1.
Bake for approximately 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center
comes out clean on being tested.
Step 6: Cool & Serve
Let cool down at room temperature and then slice it up as desired. Your delicious coffee banana sponge cake recipe
is now ready to be served!
Substitutions and Variations
One great aspect of this coffee and banana sponge cake recipe is that it’s easily customizable. Here are some possible substitutions and variations you can try out:
– Flour: If you prefer a gluten-free option, swap the all-purpose flour for a gluten-free flour blend. You can also experiment with using different types of flour, such as cake flour or almond flour, to achieve different textures.
– Sugar: Use brown sugar instead of white granulated sugar for a slightly different flavor profile. Alternatively, if you want to reduce the overall amount of sugar in the recipe, try using a natural sweetener like honey or maple syrup.
– Bananas: This recipe calls for ripe bananas, but you can also use overripe bananas that are starting to get dark spots. For a stronger banana flavor, use an extra banana or two.
– Coffee: Substitute the coffee in this recipe for chai tea, earl grey tea, or any other herbal tea that you enjoy. You could also add a tablespoon of instant coffee to enhance the coffee flavor even more.
– Nuts: Want some added crunch and texture? Add in some chopped walnuts, almonds or pecans either to the cake batter or sprinkle on top before baking.
– Frosting: The recipe calls for no frosting but you can opt for buttercream frosting or even cream cheese frosting by adding one package of cream cheese (softened) with 1/4 low-fat sour cream and 1/4 cup of heavy cream.
With these substitution ideas and variations the possibilities are endless! Experiment with what works best for your preferences to make the perfect version of this delicious coffee and banana sponge cake.
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving and pairing this delightful coffee and banana sponge cake recipe, there are plenty of delicious options to complement its sweet, fruity flavor.
For a classic pairing, try serving a slice of this coffee banana cake alongside a warm cup of freshly brewed coffee or tea. The rich, nutty flavor of the coffee will perfectly complement the sweet and earthy notes of the bananas and brown sugar.
Looking for something a bit more indulgent? Add a dollop of freshly whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of the cake for an extra-rich treat. Or, drizzle on some homemade caramel sauce or chocolate ganache for a decadent finishing touch.
If you’re feeling particularly creative, you can also experiment with different toppings and garnishes. Fresh berries like raspberries or blueberries would be a natural match for this moist banana cake, adding a pop of color and tangy sweetness. Or, if you prefer something more savory, try pairing this coffee cake with a slice of sharp cheese for a flavorful balance.
No matter how you choose to serve and pair this delicious coffee and banana sponge cake recipe, one thing is for sure: Its perfect combination of rich flavors and moist crumb texture will wow your taste buds every time.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the best things about this coffee and banana sponge cake recipe is that it can be made ahead of time and reheated to enjoy later. After baking, allow the cake to cool completely before storing. You can store the cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
If you want to make the cake ahead of time, consider freezing it. Wrap the cooled cake tightly in plastic wrap and then seal it in a freezer-safe bag or container. It can be frozen for up to three months. Thaw the cake overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
To reheat the cake, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Remove the cake from its storage container or wrapper and place it on a baking sheet. Heat it for 10-15 minutes until warmed through.
For individual servings, you can also reheat slices of cake in the microwave. Place a slice on a microwave-safe plate and heat for 10-15 seconds or until warmed through. Be careful not to overheat and dry out the cake.
Whether you’re making this delicious coffee and banana sponge cake ahead of time or reheating it for later, these tips will help ensure that it’s just as delicious as it was when you first made it.
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you’ve got the recipe for the delicious coffee and banana sponge cake, let me give you some tips to get the perfect results.
1. Use Ripe Bananas: When making a banana cake or bread, using ripe bananas is essential. They are easier to mash and give a more intense and sweet flavor. If you have overripe bananas lying around, this is the perfect recipe to use them.
2. Room Temperature Ingredients: Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature, especially the eggs and butter. This ensures that everything mixes properly and creates a lighter cake.
3. Don’t Overmix: Once you add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, make sure to stop mixing once everything is combined. Overmixing creates gluten which makes cakes tough and dense.
4. Coffee: Use freshly brewed coffee or espresso for a stronger coffee flavor in your cake. You can also adjust the amount of coffee depending on how strong you want it.
5. Baking Time: Since this is a sponge cake, it’s best not to open the oven while it’s baking to prevent it from sinking in the middle. Bake for 30-35 minutes until it’s golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
6. Let it Cool: Allow your cake to cool completely before serving or adding any frosting or glaze on top. If it’s still warm, any topping will melt and make a mess.
Following these tips ensures that your coffee and banana sponge cake turns out perfectly every time. Enjoy!
In conclusion, this coffee and banana sponge cake recipe is a delicious and flavorful treat that everyone should try. The combination of ripe bananas and rich coffee flavors creates an irresistible taste that will leave you wanting more. With simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, you can make this cake recipe at home for any occasion.
Plus, with the ability to make substitutions and variations, you can tailor the recipe to your liking or even experiment with new flavors. And don’t forget about the make-ahead and storing options, which makes this cake perfect for meal prep or hosting events.
So why not give this recipe a try? You’ll love how easy it is to impress your guests with a homemade coffee and banana cake that tastes like it came straight from a bakery. Trust me, after one bite of this delicious sponge cake, you won’t be able to resist making it again and again.
Coffee and Banana Sponge Cake Recipe
- 4 ounces sugar
- 4 ounces butter
- 2 bananas (mashed with a fork)
- 1 tablespoon coffee extract (in NZ I use 'Bushells' coffee essence)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- whipped cream, for joining
- #1 Way of Making;.
- Grease and flour or line with baking paper, a square 8" cake pan.
- Heat oven to 350'C/180'F.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the coffee essence.
- Mix in the mashed bananas.
- Add egg and milk.
- Sift together the dry ingredients and fold into creamed mixture.
- Scoop into prepared tin and bake for approx 35 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched with finger and is shrinking from sides of tin.
- Remove from oven and cool in tin for 5mins then turn onto a rack to cool completely.
- When cold cut in half and fill with sweetened whipped cream and dust top with icing sugar.
- #2 Way of Making;.
- Sift flour and baking powder and salt into bowl of mixer.
- Add in the sugar, egg, coffee essence and mashed bananas.
- Stir the baking soda into the milk and add to bowl.
- Melt the butter and add last.
- Beat on high speed until just mixed then scoop into greased & floured or, baking paper lined 8" tin.
- Bake 35mins approx and continue as for #1.
- *For a special effect ice/frost top with coffee butter icing and decorate with chopped walnuts.