Dear coffee cake lovers,
Are you ready to take your pastry appreciation to the next level? Look no further than this sugarplum filled coffee cake recipe that will satisfy all your sweet cravings while leaving you with a warm and cozy feeling inside.
This recipe promises to be both indulgent and comforting, like a hug in a cake. The mixture of walnuts, dates and orange zest in the filling will be sure to amaze your taste buds, transporting you to a world of rich flavors and textures.
Whether you’re an experienced baker or just starting out, this recipe is perfect for everyone. It’s easy to follow with simple and easily accessible ingredients; even Starbucks fans can make their own version of the famous Sugar Plum Cheese Danish with this recipe!
So why settle for store-bought coffee cakes when you can make your own delicious treat? Join me in exploring the sweet wonders of this sugarplum filled coffee cake recipe–it’s sure to become a household favorite!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you in search of a perfect complement to your morning coffee? Look no further than my Sugarplum Filling Coffee Cake recipe! This delectable treat is sure to become one of your go-to recipes.
First and foremost, this recipe features the juicy sweetness of dates, combined with the nuttiness of walnuts and a touch of orange zest. The resulting sugar plum filling is simply divine! It has just the right balance of flavors to satisfy even the most discerning palate.
Moreover, this Sugarplum Filling Coffee Cake recipe uses puff pastry, which is a time-saving ingredient that adds flakiness to the cake layers. And let’s face it – who doesn’t love the delicate layers of a well-made puff pastry?
Another bonus is that this recipe is customizable. You can swap out the ingredients to make it your own. For example, use sour cream instead of cream cheese or add different fruit jams, such as strawberry or plum jam. The possibilities truly are endless!
So why not make your mornings a little sweeter with my Sugarplum Filling Coffee Cake recipe? It’s easy to make, customize and pairs perfectly with an aromatic cup of coffee. Trust me, once you’ve tried it, you’ll never look back!
- 1 cup dried dates, pitted and finely chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup plum jam
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
Ingredients for the Coffee Cake
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
Ingredients for the Plum Cheese Danish
For the Cheese Layer
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Plum Jam Layer
- 1 cup plum jam
Additional Ingredients for the Decoration
- Extra confectioners’ sugar for dusting.
The Recipe How-To
Step 1: Prepare the Sugarplum Filling
In a food processor, combine walnuts, dates, and orange zest. Pulse the mixture until finely chopped. Add confectioners’ sugar, cream of tartar, and a pinch of salt, and pulse again until well combined.
Step 2: Make the Sugar Plum Cheese Filling
In a large mixing bowl, beat together a block of softened cream cheese with brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the sugarplum mixture to the bowl, and continue to beat until well combined.
Step 3: Roll out the Pastry and Cut into Triangles or Squares
Preheat your oven to 400°F (204°C), and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Unfold one sheet of frozen puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll it out into a larger square, roughly 10 x 10 inches. Cut the pastry into either triangles or squares depending on your desired shape.
Step 4: Add the Filling
Place a generous spoonful of the sugar plum filling onto one half of each triangle or square pastry piece. Leave a little bit of space around the edges so you can fold and crimp them closed.
Step 5: Baking Time!
Fold the remaining half of each pastry triangle over the filling, then use a fork to firmly press the edges together to seal. Brush with an egg wash mixture made from 1 beaten egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water.
Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until golden, puffed, and crisp!
Serve warm with your favorite cup of coffee or tea!
Substitutions and Variations
Looking to try something different with this Sugarplum Filling coffee cake recipe? Don’t be afraid to experiment with substitutions and variations based on your personal preferences. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
– Instead of walnuts, use pecans or almonds for a slightly different flavor and texture.
– Swap out the dates for dried figs or apricots for a twist on the classic flavor combination.
– For an even more citrusy taste, add extra orange zest or try swapping it out for lemon zest instead.
– Instead of cream cheese, try using ricotta cheese or mascarpone for a slightly different taste and texture.
– If you don’t have sour cream on hand, substitute it with unsweetened Greek yogurt.
– Add in some grated apple or pear to the filling for added sweetness and texture.
– If you’re not a fan of puff pastry, try using a different type of dough such as brioche or croissant dough for a richer taste.
– For a vegan version, omit the cream cheese and sour cream and substitute with vegan cream cheese and coconut cream.
– If you’re feeling adventurous, try making mini versions of the sugarplum coffee cake by using muffin tins instead of a traditional baking sheet.
Remember to keep experimenting until you find the perfect combination that suits your taste buds.
Serving and Pairing
This Sugarplum Filling for Coffee Cake Recipe is the perfect accompaniment for a cozy breakfast or a delightful treat with coffee any time of day. To serve, cut the cake into slices and place them on a platter. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and add a dollop of whipped cream on top for extra indulgence.
Pair this sweet treat with a hot cup of coffee or tea for a delightful afternoon snack. It is also great to serve to guests during holiday gatherings or special occasions. The sweet and tart flavors of the plum cheese filling pair perfectly with the delicate sweetness of the pastry crust.
For an extra touch of indulgence, try serving this Sugarplum Filling for Coffee Cake Recipe with a side of fresh whipped cream flavored with cinnamon and orange zest. Alternatively, if you prefer a lighter pairing, some fresh strawberries or dried plums would make a perfect combination.
This recipe works well as either a brunch item or as dessert after dinner. For added elegance, try pairing it with a glass of sparkling wine or champagne to toast to life’s little moments. No matter how you choose to serve it, this Sugarplum Filling for Coffee Cake Recipe is guaranteed to be a hit with your guests!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This sugarplum filling for coffee cake recipe can be prepared ahead of time and stored to be used later. If you want to make this filling ahead of time, follow the recipe instructions and let it cool completely before storing it in an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag. You can store the sugarplum filling in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
When reheating the filling, there are two recommended methods. First, if you want to use it immediately after thawing, take the filling out of the fridge or freezer and let it sit at room temperature until it becomes soft enough to spread. Second, if you’re in a hurry, you can microwave it for a few seconds till it melts and then stir well.
When using the stored filling, ensure that you check for its quality since sometimes freezing and storing can alter its taste and texture. The filling may become dryer and compact due to prolonged storage, and may need some mixing or additional liquid such as milk or cream cheese to obtain desired consistency.
While storing, you can also make sure that you label your container with relevant information like date stored, expiry date for ease of use. So next time when you plan to bake a sugar plum coffee cake or plum cheese danish, remember that you can prepare the sugarplum filling well ahead of time with no fuss or stress!
Tips for Perfect Results
To achieve the perfect Sugarplum Filling for your Coffee Cake Recipe, here are some tips to follow:
1. Use the right ingredients: Make sure to use high-quality ingredients for this recipe, especially when it comes to the cream cheese and sour cream. Using fresh dates and walnuts will also enhance the flavor.
2. Measure carefully: When making the filling whipped cream, it’s essential to measure the ingredients correctly. Too much or too little of any ingredient can alter the texture and taste of the filling.
3. Whip cold ingredients: The filling whipped cream should be made with cold ingredients such as cream cheese and heavy cream to ensure a creamy consistency.
4. Spread evenly: When spreading the plum jam and filling on the puff pastry, make sure it’s distributed evenly to avoid any lumps or clumps.
5. Seal edges properly: When shaping the puff pastry into a danish, it’s important to seal the edges tightly to prevent any filling from leaking out during baking.
6. Chill before slicing: After baking, allow your Sugarplum Danish to cool completely before slicing it into pieces. This will ensure that the pastry and filling set correctly.
7. Store correctly: If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
By following these tips carefully, you can achieve perfect results every time you make this delicious Sugarplum Filling for Coffee Cake Recipe.
This sugarplum filling for coffee cake recipe is truly one of a kind. With its unique combination of walnuts, dates, orange zest and confectioners’ sugar, it’s no wonder why you’ll love this recipe. Not only is it versatile and adaptable to different variations and substitutions, but it can also be made ahead, stored and reheated with ease. I am confident that this recipe will become a staple in your repertoire and impress everyone with its delicious taste and attractive presentation.
So why not try out this amazing recipe today? You won’t regret it! Whether you’re making a plum cheese danish, sugar plum cake or brown sugar plum coffee, this recipe has got you covered. With its copycat Starbucks sugar plum flavor, you can enjoy your favorite coffee shop treat right at home.
In conclusion, the sugarplum filling for coffee cake recipe offers the perfect combination of sweetness and tartness that will tantalize your taste buds. It’s easy to make and customizable to your preference, making it the ideal dessert for any occasion. So gather your ingredients, preheat your oven and let the magic begin. Trust me, with this recipe in hand, you are sure to impress anyone who tries it!
Sugarplum Filling for Coffee Cake Recipe
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2/3 cup dates
- 2/3 cup walnuts
- Beat the egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until soft peaks form, beating in sugar gradually.
- Stir in orange zest, dates and walnuts.
- Roll out coffeecake yeast dough to a long oblong.
- Spread with butter all over.
- Spread with filling mixture.
- Roll up into a scroll to enclose filling. Bring ends together and pinch to seal.
- Bake as cake directions indicate.