Delicious Holiday Apple Coffee Cake Recipe
Whenever I think of the holiday season, I instantly crave warm apple pie topped off with a dollop of whipped cream. This year, though, I wanted to try something new that would still give me those same cozy feelings. That’s when I decided to create a Holiday Apple Coffee Cake recipe.
With this recipe, enjoy the flavors and aromas of freshly ground cinnamon alongside sweet and tangy apples baked into a cake. Trust me, there’s nothing quite like the scent of this cake filling up your kitchen on a chilly winter morning. And let’s not forget about the delicious streusel crumb topping that brings texture and extra sweetness to every bite.
Whether you’re looking for a quick breakfast treat for your family or something special to serve up at your next holiday gathering, this recipe is sure to be a winner. So why not try out my Holiday Apple Coffee Cake recipe and indulge in all the warmth and coziness that comes with it? Your taste buds will thank you for it!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Friends, if you are looking for a coffee cake recipe that could satisfy your sweet cravings, then this Apple Coffee Cake Recipe is perfect for you. The best part of this recipe is that it’s not only delicious but also very easy to make. Trust me; once you try it, you will fall in love with its cinnamon-apple flavors.
There are a lot of things to love about this cake recipe. First of all, it’s made with fresh apples that add an unmatched freshness and texture to the cake. Secondly, the cake is tender because of the light sour cream used in the recipe. This coffee cake isn’t too sweet, and the tanginess from the sour cream and fresh apples balances out any extra sweetness.
This apple coffee cake has a perfect balance of buttery and crumbly streusel topping with a rich caramel-like flavor from the light brown sugar used in it. Moreover, the aroma of cinnamon in every bite will give you an unforgettable experience.
This cake recipe is incredibly versatile, too; you can enjoy it as a breakfast cake, afternoon snack or even for dessert with a scoop of ice cream on top. It’s perfect for serving at any brunch or family gathering or holiday events.
So what are you waiting for? Give this Apple Coffee Cake Recipe a try, and I’m sure it will become one of your favorite cake recipes ever!
Here are the ingredients you will need in order to make this delicious holiday apple coffee cake. Don’t worry, it’s not too complicated!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups grated apples (about 2 medium apples)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
For the streusel topping, you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s get into the fun part – making the Holiday Apple Coffee Cake!
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to gather:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 2 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease a baking dish with butter.
- In a large bowl, sift together your flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In another bowl, cream together the butter and granulated sugar until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla extract.
Adding Dry Ingredients
- Gradually add in the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with sour cream.
- Gently fold in your chopped apples.
- For the streusel topping, mix the light brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, cut in cold butter until crumbly.
- Pour half of the batter into cake pan or baking dish.
- Then sprinkle with half of cinnamon-apple streusel.
- Spoon remaining batter over streusel.
- Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-apple streusel on top.
- Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let your coffee cake cool for about 15-20 minutes before serving.
- Cut into slices and top with caramel sauce, if desired.
Now that you’ve followed this recipe, you’ll have a delicious Holiday Apple Coffee Cake that is sure to be a crowd pleaser!
Substitutions and Variations
There are many ways to vary this delicious apple coffee cake recipe, depending on your taste preferences and what ingredients you have on hand. Here are some suggestions:
– Flour: You can use a mix of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour for a healthier version, or substitute gluten-free flour for a gluten-free option.
– Apples: While Granny Smith apples are recommended for their tartness and firm texture, you can use any type of apple that holds up well when baked, such as Honeycrisp or Pink Lady.
– Streusel Topping: Feel free to mix and match your favorite nuts and spices into the streusel topping. Try pecans, almonds, walnuts or hazelnuts with cardamom, nutmeg or ginger.
– Sugar: For a less sweet version, you can reduce the amount of sugar in both the cake batter and the topping. You can also substitute granulated erythritol or stevia for a lower calorie option.
– Eggs: If you don’t have large eggs on hand, you can substitute two medium eggs or three small eggs.
– Sour Cream: You can use Greek yogurt or buttermilk as a substitute for sour cream. This will add a tangy flavor to the cake while keeping it moist.
– Caramel Sauce: Drizzle caramel sauce over the top of the coffee cake just before serving for an extra indulgent touch.
– Bisquick: If you don’t have all-purpose flour and baking powder available, substitute bisquick instead. It’s an all-in-one mix typically used for pancakes and other breakfast items that includes both leavening agents already so no need to worry about measuring out exactly 1 teaspoon of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda!
By experimenting with these substitutions and variations, you can create your own unique version of this classic apple coffee cake recipe that suits your tastes perfectly.
Serving and Pairing
This holiday apple coffee cake is a perfect treat to enjoy with a cup of hot coffee or tea. The warm notes of cinnamon and brown sugar in the cake complement the tartness of the apples, making it an ideal match for a bold and flavorful cup of coffee.
If you want to elevate this cake to the next level, serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream. The creamy sweetness of the ice cream will cut through the richness of the cake and add an extra layer of flavor.
For a more indulgent experience, top the cake with homemade caramel sauce. The combination of the sticky sweetness from the caramel and the spiciness from the cinnamon apple coffee gives this traditional dessert a twist that will pleasure all your senses.
Alternatively, you can also pair this cake with a glass of cold milk. The milk’s smoothness will perfectly balance out the cake’s tanginess, creating an overall comforting taste sensation that will leave you feeling satisfied.
Overall, this apple coffee cake is an incredibly versatile recipe that pairs well with many food items. You can have it for breakfast or as a midday snack or even serve it as an elegant dessert at any family gathering or celebration.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
If you want to make this apple coffee cake recipe ahead of time, you can definitely do so. Once it has cooled completely, wrap it up tightly in a layer of plastic wrap and then wrap it again in aluminum foil. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
When it comes to reheating the apple coffee cake, I recommend taking it out of the refrigerator and letting it come to room temperature before reheating. This will prevent the cake from becoming too dry or tough.
You can reheat individual slices in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds each, or you can reheat the whole cake in the oven at 325°F for about 10-15 minutes. Just keep an eye on it so that it doesn’t over bake.
This apple coffee cake is also freezer-friendly! Once completely cooled, you can freeze the whole cake or even individual slices. Wrap them up tightly in plastic wrap and then place them into a freezer safe container or bag. It will last in the freezer for up to three months.
To thaw frozen slices, simply remove them from the freezer and allow them to come to room temperature before enjoying. To thaw an entire frozen cake, leave it in the refrigerator overnight or on your kitchen counter for a few hours before reheating according to the above instructions.
Having this apple coffee cake on hand makes breakfasts easier – just reheat a slice as you need it!
Tips for Perfect Results
When making this delightful Holiday Apple Coffee Cake, there are some tips to ensure you get the best results. First and foremost, make sure you are using all of the correct recipe ingredients and that they are fresh. This will ensure maximum flavor and consistency.
Another important tip is to use room temperature eggs when making the cake batter. This helps them incorporate better into the mixture, creating a smoother batter, which leads to a more even bake.
When measuring the flour, make sure to sift it before adding it to the mixture. This will prevent any clumps from forming and give the cake a more tender crumb.
To prevent any oven hot spots from causing uneven baking, rotate your cake halfway through baking time. This will help achieve an evenly golden brown top with a fully cooked center.
Lastly, don’t over mix the streusel topping. Mix just enough to provide for some crumbles as opposed to a smooth paste-like texture. And remember, if you have leftovers or plan to make-ahead, store in an air-tight container in the fridge for freshness up to five days.
By following these simple tips, you will have an absolutely delicious Holiday Apple Coffee Cake that is perfect for entertaining during any festive occasion.
In conclusion, this Holiday Apple Coffee Cake Recipe is the perfect treat for any occasion. Made with fresh apples and a delicious cinnamon streusel topping, it’s sure to be a hit with everyone. From its moist and flavorful texture to its scrumptious aroma, this recipe has everything you could possibly want in a coffee cake.
Moreover, this recipe is versatile and allows for variations and substitutions to suit your individual taste. Whether you prefer a sweeter or spicier flavor, this apple coffee cake recipe can be customized to your liking.
Not only is this recipe tasty, but it’s also easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time. And if you have any leftovers, the cake can be stored and reheated easily.
Finally, whether you’re looking for a sweet brunch treat or an afternoon snack, this Holiday Apple Coffee Cake Recipe delivers on every front. So why wait? Get into the kitchen and start baking today!
Holiday Apple Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup Crisco
- 1/2 pint sour cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups apples, pared, cored and diced
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Cream Crisco, sugar and vanilla thoroughly.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour with baking powder and soda.
- Add to cream mixture, alternately with sour cream, blending after each addition.
- Spread half of the batter in a 10-inch tube pan that has been greased and lined on the bottom with waxed paper.
- Cream butter, brown sugar and cinnamon together.
- Add apples and nuts. Mix well.
- Dot batter in pan evenly with half of the apple mixture. Cover with remaining batter.
- Then dot with remaining apple mixture.
- Bake in preheated-oven, 350° about 50 minutes.
- Cool cake 10 minutes before removing from pan.