Attention all coffee lovers! Today, I present to you a recipe for the ultimate indulgence – Lots of Cinnamon Coffee Cake. This classic recipe will delight your taste buds with its mouth-watering flavours and textures.
But what sets this cinnamon coffee cake apart from others is the unique combination of buttery cinnamon streusel and moist sour cream cake. The blend of cinnamon and sugar is perfectly balanced to give it just the right amount of sweetness. Trust me when I say that one bite of this irresistible cake will have you hooked!
But wait, there’s more! The aroma that fills your home while baking this cake is simply divine. It’s no wonder why this recipe has been passed down through generations and remains a favourite among coffee aficionados.
So, what are you waiting for? Get baking and indulge in the best cinnamon coffee cake recipe out there. Your taste buds will thank you, and you may even earn a reputation as the best baker in town!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re looking for a delicious coffee cake recipe, look no further! This cinnamon coffee cake is sure to hit the spot with its layers upon layers of cinnamon and sugar goodness. Here are some reasons why you’ll love this recipe:
Firstly, the ingredients are simple and easy to find. All you need are pantry staples like flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and butter. You don’t even need any fancy kitchen tools or equipment – just a mixing bowl and a spatula!
Secondly, the sour cream in the recipe creates a moist, tender crumb that will make your taste buds sing. And let’s not forget about the rich, buttery flavor that comes from using both unsalted butter and butter in the cinnamon streusel topping.
But what really sets this coffee cake apart is the generous amount of cinnamon used throughout the recipe. From the cinnamon streusel topping to the layer of cinnamon sugar swirled throughout the cake batter, each bite will give you a warm, comforting feeling like a cozy blanket on a chilly day.
Plus, this recipe is versatile – you can easily switch up the add-ins by incorporating chopped nuts or diced apples into the batter for varying textures and flavors. And as an added bonus, this coffee cake can be made ahead of time and stored for a quick breakfast or snack throughout the week.
In conclusion, this cinnamon coffee cake is everything you could want in a comforting baked good: simple ingredients, easy preparation, delicious flavors, and endless possibilities for customization. You won’t want to miss out on this recipe!
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this cinnamon coffee cake recipe:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
Cinnamon Streusel Topping:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans toasted
With these ingredients on hand, you’ll be able to make this delicious cinnamon coffee cake from scratch.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have all the ingredients ready to go, it’s time to start baking. In this section, I’ll guide you through the step-by-step process of making a delicious Lots of Cinnamon Coffee Cake.
Step 1: Preheat the Oven
The first step is to preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
Step 2: Mix the Dry Ingredients
In a large bowl, whisk together 2 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 3 teaspoons of ground cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg until well combined.
Step 3: Mix Wet Ingredients
In another bowl, beat two sticks (1 cup) of softened unsalted butter and 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Then beat in three large eggs, one at a time. Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract before beating in 1 cup of sour cream.
Step 4: Combine Dry and Wet Ingredients
Gradually add the dry ingredients mixture into the wet ingredients mixture. Mix until just combined.
Step 5: Create Cinnamon Streusel Topping
In a medium bowl, mix together 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Add in 4 tablespoons of melted butter and mix thoroughly.
Step 6: Assemble the Cake
Pour half of your cake batter into a greased 9×13-inch baking dish. Top with half of the cinnamon streusel mixture by sprinkling over the batter. Repeat this step with the remaining batter and streusel.
Step 7: Bake
Bake the coffee cake for approximately 50-60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Once the coffee cake has cooled completely, top it off with cinnamon cream cheese frosting or enjoy it as it is. Serve warm, and you’ll definitely impress all your friends with this delicious homemade coffee cake!
Substitutions and Variations
Do you want to mix things up and try a different spin on our cinnamon coffee cake recipe? Consider these substitutions and variations to put your own twist on this classic treat!
– Gluten-Free: You can easily make this recipe gluten-free by substituting the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend. I recommend using a 1-to-1 ratio gluten-free flour blend that substitutes for regular flour.
– Apple Cinnamon Cake: Add two medium-sized peeled and chopped apples to the batter before baking, along with an additional teaspoon of cinnamon. This will add a delicious apple-cinnamon twist to your coffee cake.
– Walnut Cake: Instead of using pecans in the cinnamon crumb topping, swap them out for walnuts. You could even add a sprinkle of extra cinnamon on the nuts for added flavor.
– Easy Cinnamon Roll Cake: To make a cinnamon roll cake, prepare the recipe as directed but spread the batter out into a 9×13 inch pan. Then mix up a simple cinnamon-sugar swirl by combining 1 cup of brown sugar and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon. Drop spoonfuls of this mixture onto the top of the batter and use a butter knife to swirl it into the cake batter.
– Cinnamon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake: To make an indulgent cream cheese version of this cake, beat together 8 ounces of softened cream cheese, half a cup of sugar and 1 large egg. Swirl this mixture through your cake batter before baking.
– Pound Cake: For those who prefer denser cakes, try making this recipe into a pound cake! Simply skip the crumb topping and bake this mixture in two greased loaf pans for about 45 minutes at 350°F.
Whether you’re looking for gluten-free options or merely wanting to change things up, these subtle variations will allow you to personalize this classic cinnamon coffee cake recipe!
Serving and Pairing
This cinnamon coffee cake is a delightfully sweet and spicy treat that pairs perfectly with a cup of coffee or tea for breakfast, brunch, or as an afternoon snack. It is best served warm or at room temperature, topped with the delightful cinnamon streusel crumb topping.
If you want to make this coffee cake into a more indulgent dessert, consider serving it alongside a scoop of vanilla ice cream or dollop of whipped cream. You can also drizzle some caramel or chocolate sauce on top for added richness.
For a more sophisticated pairing, try serving this coffee cake with a hearty black tea or a bold dark roast coffee. The robust flavors of the beverage will complement the cinnamon and brown sugar notes in the cake.
If you’re serving this coffee cake as part of a larger spread, it would pair well with fresh fruit salad, yogurt parfait, or even savory items like quiche or frittatas. The cinnamon in the cake provides a nice contrast to savory flavors and brings out the natural sweetness in fruits.
Overall, this cinnamon coffee cake is ideal for any occasion when you want something sweet and satisfying. Its versatility means that it can be served as breakfast, dessert, or snack and pairs well with a variety of beverages and side dishes.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This delectable cinnamon coffee cake can be made ahead of time and stored for later enjoyment as a perfect pairing for your best coffee.
If you want to save time on the day you plan to serve the cake, you can prepare the cake in advance and store it in an airtight container or wrap it tightly with plastic wrap. The cake will stay fresh for up to 3 days. For longer shelf life, you can freeze the baked cake for up to 1 month. Simply wrap the cooled cake in plastic wrap, then overwrap it in foil.
To reheat the cinnamon coffee cake, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the wrapping from the airtight container or unwrap the foil and plastic wrap from the frozen cake. Cover the top of the cake with foil to prevent it from browning too much while reheating. Place it in the oven and heat for about 15-20 minutes, or until warmed through.
Alternatively, you can reheat individual servings in a microwave oven for 20-30 seconds at a time until desired warmth is achieved. Just be sure not to overheat as this could affect the taste and texture.
Preparing this delicious treat in advance is perfect when hosting guests or just wanting to enjoy a slice with your morning coffee without having to spend time preparing it from scratch every day!
Tips for Perfect Results
To achieve the perfect texture and flavor for your Lots of Cinnamon Coffee Cake, follow these tips for the best results:
1. Use room temperature ingredients: Ensure that all your ingredients, including butter, eggs, and milk are at room temperature before you start baking. This helps them blend together more easily and create a smoother batter.
2. Don’t overmix: Once you’ve combined your wet and dry ingredients, be careful not to overmix the batter. Overmixing can cause the gluten in the flour to become overdeveloped, leading to a dense and tough cake.
3. Grease your pan well: Use a non-stick cooking spray or butter and flour to grease your baking pan thoroughly. This will help prevent sticking and make it easier to remove the cake from the pan once it’s baked.
4. Use fresh ingredients: Make sure that your cinnamon and baking powder are fresh because old spices can lose their potency, leading to a bland taste.
5. Measure accurately: Baking is a science, so it’s essential to measure all ingredients precisely as per the recipe directions. Too much or too little of an ingredient can result in an improperly cooked cake.
6. Rest before slicing: After baking, let the coffee cake cool in its pan on a wire rack for at least 10-15 minutes before cutting into it. This will allow it to firm up slightly and make it easier to slice cleanly without crumbling.
By following these straightforward tips, you’ll end up with a delicious Lots of Cinnamon Coffee Cake that is perfectly moist, fluffy, and loaded with all those wonderful cinnamon flavors!
In conclusion, this cinnamon coffee cake recipe is undoubtedly one of the best that I have ever tried. It is easy to follow and yields a scrumptious result that will please any coffee cake lover. With the added touch of warm cinnamon aroma and flavor, this recipe creates a mouthwatering treat that can perfectly complement your morning cup of coffee or tea. So if you’re looking for a delicious dessert to satisfy your sweet cravings, be sure to give this recipe a try.
Don’t forget that this recipe can be easily customized to your taste, with substitutions and variations that suit your preferences. Whether you want to add some nuts or swap the sour cream for yogurt, there are endless possibilities to experiment with.
This cinnamon coffee cake is perfect for sharing with friends and family over brunch or a simple gathering. I highly recommend this recipe to anyone looking for an easy yet delicious dessert option that’s sure to impress. So go ahead, try it out and let me know what you think!
Lots of Cinnamon Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mix first 5 dry ingredients together.
- Beat egg, add milk, sour cream, melted butter and vanilla. Combine with dry ingredients only until blended.
- Pour into a greased, floured 8 or 9 inch round or square pan.
- Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes.
- Note: Good with 1/2 cup of raisins or 1/2 cup of chopped pecans.