Savory Pan-Seared Salmon Recipe for Health Food Enthusiasts
Welcome to my kitchen, where I’ll be sharing with you my recipe for a delicious cherry-raisin coffee cake. This recipe has been in my family for generations, and it’s always been a favorite for breakfast or dessert.
This dish is perfect for morning gatherings or when you’re looking to indulge in a sweet treat. It’s quick, easy, and makes enough to feed a crowd. You’ll love the combination of the juicy cherries and the plump raisins in every bite of the coffee cake.
Whether you’re hosting a brunch, bringing something to share at work, or just want something special for yourself, this cherry-raisin coffee cake is sure to impress. Get ready to mix, bake, and indulge in this scrumptious treat that will leave you wanting more.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Do you love coffee cake? Then you will adore this cherry-raisin coffee cake recipe! This recipe is the perfect combination of sweet and tart flavors, and it’s a great way to start your morning or end your day on a high note.
With its mouth-watering aroma, soft texture, and buttery crumb topping, this coffee cake will make you fall in love with every bite. And what could be better than adding some swirls of cherry pie filling to make it even more scrumptious?
This recipe is quick, easy, and requires simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. It’s perfect for those who are always on-the-go but still want something delicious to eat.
So why not treat yourself to something special with this cherry-raisin coffee cake recipe? Trust me, once you try it, you won’t be able to resist the temptation to make it again and again!
To make this Cherry-Raisin Coffee Cake Recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup of shortening
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 3/4 cup of raisins
- 1 can (21 ounces) of cherry pie filling
For the crumb topping:
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of cold butter
For the optional cherry-almond swirl:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons cherry pie filling
Note: You can substitute the cherry pie filling for any fruit you prefer.
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s get right into the recipe!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shortening, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 3/4 cup raisins
- Crumb topping:
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 325 F degrees. Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another mixing bowl, cream together the egg and melted shortening. Then, add in the milk and almond extract.
- Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in the can of cherry pie filling and the raisins.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the ingredients for the crumb topping: brown sugar, flour, cold butter cubes, and chopped walnuts. Mix together until it reaches a crumbly texture.
- Pour half of the batter into your prepared bundt pan. Sprinkle half of the crumb topping over that layer of batter. Repeat again with remaining batter and topping.
- Bake in preheated oven for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Enjoy your delicious Cherry-Raisin Coffee Cake with a hot cup of coffee!
Substitutions and Variations
One of the great things about making a recipe like this cherry-raisin coffee cake is that there is plenty of room for variations and substitutions. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
– Raisins: If you don’t have raisins on hand or simply don’t like them, you can easily substitute with any other dried fruit such as cranberries or chopped apricots.
– Cherry swirl: While cherry pie filling is used in the recipe to make a cherry swirl, you can also use fresh cherries or make your own cherry compote. Just be sure to remove the cherry pits before using.
– Cream cheese filling: Instead of using traditional cream cheese filling, try a flavored cream cheese such as pumpkin pie or honey-walnut for added depth of flavor.
– Almond extract: If you’re not a fan of almond extract, try substituting with vanilla extract, orange blossom water, or even maple syrup.
Remember that these are just suggestions – feel free to tweak the recipe based on what you have on hand or what flavors you enjoy. The possibilities are endless when it comes to making this quick and easy coffee cake your own.
Serving and Pairing
The cherry-raisin coffee cake is perfect for any occasion as a delicious breakfast, dessert or afternoon snack. Serve it fresh and warm out of the oven with a dollop of whipped cream or a dusting of powdered sugar. This will add extra sweetness and freshness to the already mouthwatering cake.
For a more indulgent taste, pair it with a cup of hot coffee or tea. The rich and complex flavor of cinnamon, brown sugar, and raisins perfectly complements this decadent cake.
If you’re feeling adventurous, try serving your slice of cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, which blends in perfectly with the sweet and tart flavor of cherries.
This cake is also perfect for parties and get-togethers. It can be served on its own as a centerpiece dessert or paired with other snacks such as fresh fruits or chocolates.
Whichever way you decide to serve your cherry-raisin coffee cake, it’s sure to be a crowd pleaser. Its soft and moist texture topped with the tartness of cherries countered by the sweetness from raisins make every bite an irresistible treat suitable for any celebration or occasion.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
The cherry-raisin coffee cake is an ideal dessert to make-ahead, as it can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer and reheated easily. To prepare it ahead of time, wrap the cooled cake in plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to two days.
Alternatively, you can freeze the baked cake for up to a month. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil before placing it in the freezer. Before serving, allow the cake to defrost for a few hours at room temperature.
To reheat a slice of the cherry-raisin coffee cake, simply place it on a microwave-safe plate and heat on high for 20-30 seconds until warms. Be sure not to overheat the cake as it will dry out quickly.
If you prefer reheating the cake in the oven, preheat to 375°F (190°C) and warm up your slice on a baking sheet for approximately 5-7 minutes. This will give your cake that freshly baked texture with a light crunchy crust.
It’s worth noting that although this dish can be stored for several days or frozen for later use — nothing beats freshly baked coffee cake! So if you’re planning on bringing this as a party dessert or giving it as a gift — baking fresh is always better. However, if you have leftovers or want to plan ahead, freezing or refrigerating this dish is also an option without sacrificing taste or flavor.
Tips for Perfect Results
For a perfect Cherry-Raisin Coffee Cake, follow these tips to achieve the best results:
1. Measure everything accurately
Baking is a precise science that requires careful attention to measurements. Slight variations in measurement can result in a less than desirable outcome. Follow the recipe closely, using measuring cups and spoons to ensure that you use the right amount of each ingredient.
2. Don’t overmix
When it comes to mixing the batter, less is more. Overmixing can lead to a tough, dense cake. Only mix until ingredients are combined and you have a uniform batter.
3. Use room temperature ingredients
Allow your eggs, milk, and shortening to come to room temperature before using them in the recipe. Room-temperature ingredients will blend better when mixed together and create a smoother batter.
4. Preheat your oven correctly
Ensure that your oven is fully preheated before adding the cake batter. This step will guarantee an even bake.
5. Add cherry pie filling in moderation
While you want to get the full taste of cherries, it’s important not to overfill the cake with cherry pie filling as this might make it too soggy or cause it to collapse.
6. Watch the cooking time
Nobody wants an overcooked Cherry-Raisin Coffee Cake, so use your senses as well as a timer. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the centre of the cake; if it comes out clean, then the cake has finished baking.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to create a delicious Cherry-Raisin Coffee Cake without any hitches and impress family and friends with your baking skills.
In conclusion, this Cherry-Raisin Coffee Cake recipe is a must-try for any coffee lover. The recipe is quick, easy to follow, and requires only a handful of ingredients which can be easily found in your pantry. Trust me; the aroma of cinnamon and cherry filling in your kitchen will make you swoon. The flavors of cherry and almond cream cheese mingle with the sweet raisins and brown sugar to create the perfect mixture of sweet and tart.
The flexibility of this recipe also makes it a fantastic choice for any occasion, whether it’s breakfast or dessert. You can serve it plain or add creamy frosting or whipped cream to make it even more decadent. The possibilities are endless!
Now that you know how to make this delicious Cherry-Raisin Coffee Cake, you have the power to impress your guests with its exquisite taste. So next time you get together with family or friends, surprise them with this delightful cake recipe for a fun-filled time.
So, what are you waiting for? Whip up a batch today, and you won’t regret it!
Cherry- Raisin Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup cherry jam
- powdered sugar glaze
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Grease a square pan 8 X 8-inch.
- Beat flour sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, shortening, and egg, vigorously with a fork for 30 seconds.
- Pour into pan.
- Mix raisins, brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter.
- Spoon jam over brown sugar mixture.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Spread coffee cake with Powdered Sugar Glaze.
- Powdered Sugar Glaze: Mix 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and about 1 tablespoon water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until glaze is desired consistency.