Indulge in a Sweet Treat: Maple Coffee Cake Recipe
As a barista, I love experimenting with different flavor combinations in my coffee. But sometimes, you just want a classic accompaniment to your morning cup of joe. That’s where this delicious Maple Coffee Cake recipe comes in.
This cake has just the right amount of sweetness, with the comforting flavors of maple syrup and brown sugar, and the subtle crunch of chopped walnuts. And let’s be real – who doesn’t love a good streusel topping?
Whether you’re looking for a special breakfast treat or a dessert to share with friends and family, this Maple Coffee Cake is sure to impress. So put on a fresh pot of coffee and let’s get started!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Dear coffee cake lovers,
Are you tired of the same old plain coffee cake recipe? Look no further than this heavenly maple coffee cake! This cake is a unique twist on a classic dish that will leave your taste buds wanting more.
What makes this coffee cake so special, you ask? It starts with a moist and cinnamon-spiced cake mixed with fluffy eggs and creamy butter. But what really sets it apart is the generous pour of pure Vermont maple syrup that seeps into every nook and cranny of the cake.
The rich maple flavor takes this coffee cake to a whole new level. Not too sweet, but just enough to add a burst of sweetness and warmth that will instantly make you feel right at home. Trust me when I say that one bite of this maple coffee cake will transport you to a cozy cabin in the woods, surrounded by foliage and fall vibes.
This delicious coffee cake also comes with a crunchy streusel topping made with brown sugar, chopped California walnuts, and even more Vermont maple syrup. The crunch of the nuts combined with the sweet maple flavor make for a perfectly balanced bite every time.
But wait, there’s more! This recipe is versatile enough to fit any dietary preferences. Swap out milk for coconut milk, use vegan butter instead of traditional butter or margarine, or switch white sugar for brown sugar to create your own variation. With endless possibilities, you’ll never get bored of making this tasty dessert.
So what are you waiting for? Whether you’re looking for your next brunch hit or just trying to satisfy your sweet tooth, this maple coffee cake will definitely do the trick. Your friends and family will be begging for the recipe and wondering how they haven’t tried it before. Treat yourself and give it a try – trust me, you won’t regret it.
A fellow coffee cake enthusiast
- All-purpose flour 3 cups
- Baking powder 2 teaspoons
- Baking soda 1 teaspoon
- Salt 1/2 teaspoon
- Unsalted butter, room temperature 1/2 cup
- Granulated sugar 1/2 cup
- Brown sugar, light, packed 1/2 cup
- Eggs, room temperature 2 large ones
- Sour cream, room temperature 1 cup
- Milk, room temperature 1/4 cup
- Maple syrup, Grade A (pure), not to be mistaken for maple-flavored syrup although it’s the latter’s close substitute. This gives the coffee cake a distinct maple flavor. For an even richer flavor, try using Vermont maple syrup. 1 cup for the cake and another 1/4 cup for the streusel topping.
- Chopped California walnuts 2 cups
Note that you can also add some interesting twists depending on your preferences. For instance, you can swap out milk with coconut milk for extra richness or replace regular butter with margarine for a vegan option. You can also experiment with flavors by adding cinnamon or pumpkin spice to give it a fall-inspired twist. To take this recipe over the top, consider using pecan or maple walnut topping instead of classic streusel topping.
The Recipe How-To
Prepare the Batter
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together 4 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 cup of granulated sugar, ¼ cup of brown sugar, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: 4 eggs, 2 cups of milk, ½ cup of melted butter or margarine, and 1 cup of maple syrup.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. The batter will be lumpy but make sure that there are no visible dry spots.
Make the Streusel Topping
- In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup each of all-purpose flour and brown sugar along with ½ teaspoon of cinnamon (if desired).
- Cut in 2 tablespoons of cold butter or margarine until the mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in ⅓ cup chopped California Walnuts(if desired).
Assemble and Bake The Cake
- Spread half of the batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle half the streusel topping over the batter.
- Pour remaining batter into the pan and top with remaining streusel topping.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before serving the Maple Coffee Cake.
Follow these directions and get ready for your taste buds to experience pure bliss!
Substitutions and Variations
You can always experiment with the ingredients to make your Maple Coffee Cake exactly to your taste. Here are some variations you might want to try:
– Vegan: To make this recipe vegan, replace the butter with margarine and the milk with a non-dairy alternative like almond or soy milk. You can also use flax eggs instead of regular eggs.
– Maple Nut: If you want to add some extra crunch, add chopped pecans or almonds to the batter or sprinkle them on top of the cake.
– Vermont Maple: To give your cake an even stronger maple flavor, use only Vermont maple syrup. It tends to be darker and richer than other varieties.
– Cinnamon: For a cinnamon twist on this classic recipe, add one tablespoon of ground cinnamon to the batter before baking. You can also sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top for extra sweetness.
– Pumpkin Spice: Adding pumpkin spice to this cake will give it a cozy fall flavor. Simply add one teaspoon of pumpkin spice to the dry mix before stirring into the wet ingredients.
– Coconut: For a tropical twist, replace the walnuts with shredded coconut. This will add sweetness and texture to your coffee cake.
– Maple Sour Cream: Instead of regular sour cream, use maple-flavored sour cream for an extra boost of maple goodness.
Remember that every substitution will alter the flavor and texture of your coffee cake in different ways, so be sure to experiment until you find the perfect combination for you.
Serving and Pairing
One of the best things about this Maple Coffee Cake is that it can be served in many different ways, making it a versatile dessert option. Here are some serving and pairing suggestions to take your tasting experience to the next level.
Firstly, you can serve this cake as a breakfast treat with a drizzle of maple syrup, making it a perfect way to start your day. This cake can also be served as a mid-morning or afternoon snack that pairs well with a hot cup of coffee or tea.
To make a more indulgent dessert, top the cake with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and chopped California walnuts. Or try a decadent maple sour cream glaze made by mixing powdered sugar with maple syrup, sour cream, and vanilla extract.
If you’re looking for a twist on the traditional flavor profile of the cake, try adding pumpkin spice or cinnamon to the mixture. This will give the cake a spicy kick and make it perfect for autumn gatherings.
For those following vegan or dairy-free diets, this recipe can also be modified by substituting butter for margarine and using almond or soy milk instead of regular milk. The cake can then be topped with maple nut butter or pecan coffee creamer for an added depth of flavor.
No matter how you choose to serve this Maple Coffee Cake, it is sure to become a favorite among friends and family. With its heavenly aroma, moist texture, and subtle sweetness from real Vermont maple syrup, it’s an irresistible treat that will keep everyone coming back for more!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
After baking, you can enjoy the irresistible scent of your maple coffee cake while it cools in the pan for a few minutes. Then transfer it to a wire rack and cool completely. If you want to store it for later or make ahead, you can wrap it in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
When you’re ready to serve, bring it back to room temperature before slicing and serving. If you have some leftovers, store them in an airtight container and keep them at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Reheating your maple coffee cake is also easy. You can use a microwave oven or a conventional oven to warm it up. The microwave method is quick and easy but may not give your cake that crispy texture. Just wrap a slice of cake with a damp paper towel and microwave for 20 seconds or until heated through.
For the conventional oven method, preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C), place the slices on a baking sheet and bake them until heated through (about 10-15 minutes). Turn the slices over halfway through baking time.
Overall, making your maple coffee cake ahead of time or reheating won’t affect its taste at all. With this information, you can make sure that every slice gives the same satisfaction as when it’s freshly baked!
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to baking the perfect Maple Coffee Cake, there are a few tips that can help you achieve picture-perfect results that are sure to impress your guests. Here are some tips to ensure your coffee cake will be moist, flavorful, and perfectly balanced:
1) Make sure that all of your ingredients are room temperature before beginning. Cold ingredients can cause the batter to separate or not mix evenly.
2) Do not overmix the batter as it may result in a dense and tough cake. Mix until all ingredients are just combined.
3) To avoid a dry cake, do not over-bake your coffee cake. Remember, every oven is different, so use a toothpick to check if it’s ready; if it comes out clean, it’s done!
4) If you’re using margarine instead of butter, use a margarine with at least 70% fat content to ensure that the cake retains its structure and moisture.
5) Substitute half of the all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour mix for a healthier option.
6) For added texture and flavor, sprinkle chopped California walnuts on top of the streusel topping before baking. Pecans also make an excellent addition.
7) Be sure to cool your cake before slicing and serving; this allows the flavors to develop fully and ensures that your slices don’t fall apart.
By following these tips, you can achieve perfect results every time when making this beloved Maple Coffee Cake recipe.
Before we conclude, let me address some frequently asked questions (FAQ) that you may have about this delicious maple coffee cake recipe. From substitutions to gluten-free options, I’ll provide answers to some possible queries to help you achieve the best results. Keep reading to find out!
What’s the difference between coffee cake and streusel?
There is a distinction between crumb cake and coffee cake based on the quantity of streusel topping used. Crumb cake has a denser layer of streusel topping in comparison to coffee cake. Furthermore, coffee cake can exist without the streusel topping altogether.
What makes coffee cake different from cake?
What sets coffee cakes apart from other cakes is their signature streusel topping and their lack of frosting. While sometimes a bit of glaze is added to the top, they often have a swirl of streusel or a filling of fruit, nuts or chocolate.
What makes a coffee cake a coffee cake?
When it comes to coffee cake, don’t let the name fool you. This particular cake is not coffee-flavored, but instead, it’s a spongy cake topped with granulated sugar and cinnamon. A coffee cake gets its name because it’s typically paired with a cup of coffee, creating a perfect balance between sweetness and bitterness.
What is the difference between American and British coffee cake?
The concept of coffee cake varies between British and American culture. In Britain, coffee cake refers to cake that has a distinct coffee flavor. Whereas in America, it refers to cake that is usually served alongside coffee.
So there you have it, folks! A truly indulgent and utterly irresistible Maple Coffee Cake recipe that will have you coming back for seconds, thirds, and maybe even fourths. Whether you’re an experienced baker or a coffee cake novice, this recipe is sure to impress.
With its warm maple syrup flavor and crunchy walnut streusel topping, this cake is the perfect accompaniment to a freshly brewed cup of coffee. And speaking of coffee, why not try it with a Maple Walnut or Pecan Coffee to really take your taste buds on a journey?
But don’t just take my word for it. Whip up a batch yourself and savor each delectable bite. I can’t wait to hear how much you love it!
So go ahead, turn on some music or invite over some friends, and let this Maple Coffee Cake be the centerpiece of your next gathering. Trust me, it’s worth every calorie.
Maple Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup coconut
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Mix dry ingredients. Add chopped nuts; add liquids and mix until just blended.
- Spoon into greased 8-inch square pan.
- Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven. Turn on broiler. Cover cake with topping. Place under broiler for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned.